New Mario Kart DLC examplifies Nintendo's respect for game buyers.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 13th, 2014, 11:19 am

Just played through the 8 new tracks, and they are amazing. The updated Yoshi Island track is very impressive looking and playing, so fast. The Excitetrack is also a standout, very interesting perspective, and random track layout each time, I love it. The new Mario Galaxy dragoon track is right up there as well, on the whole, just an incredible, bright polished update to a fantastic polished game.

But, sadly, all is not well in the land of vidoegames. Ubisoft has dropped a real disaster in the latest Assassins Creed, the game has a multitude of problems, and is loaded with intrusive micro transactions, built into the game. The new Halo game for Xbox One is a broken mess, requiring a HUGE day one patch. Sony has still not fixed their latest firmware update debacle.

What happened to respect for consumers in gaming? It seems as if only Nintendo still has this as their core goal, and are the only major company this gen that is developing and releasing polished, finished games.

The VGC predicted that game publishers would abuse these online updates and patches in console gaming, and boy have they.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 13th, 2014, 12:06 pm

It's interesting you say this.  On Podcast Unlocked (IGN's Xbox podcast), they talked about all the issues with new launches this generation, and how the industry is losing that "midnight release, can't wait to put the disc in and play until you fall asleep" feeling.  They said it is being replaced with anger and frustration if you buy a game right away (which is, supposedly, what publishers want you to do).  Keeping in mind that this is their Xbox podcast, it speaks volumes that even they pointed out that Nintendo is the only AAA company reliably releasing working products all the time.  They even made a joke about how if Smash U had problems it'd be like that "You were supposed to be the chosen one!" scene in Star Wars.  [smile]

I don't know if it is really just Nintendo that is doing it right though.  I think Nintendo, though, is the only one doing it across the board.  If Sony reveals "The Last Guardian" at their PSX event, I would be willing to predict it would launch at as high a level of polish as a Nintendo game.  Same for GT, the next Uncharted, and The Last of Us 2.  They just have some games, and some studios, I think they think of as their "middle tier" where perfection isn't required at all costs.  Similarly, I believe when Ubisoft launched their most important new IP (Watch_Dogs) it was in pretty good shape.  And COD: AW is having a ton of problems online, but Destiny launched pretty well.  I think other developers think of their more important launches or biggest studios the way Nintendo thinks about everything.  That is a real difference I think (not being a fanboy here, just going from experience).  I think Nintendo wants Pushmo to be as polished as they want Mario Galaxy to be.  I think other companies would treat those two properties with different levels of care. 

What has truly surprised me is the Halo issues right now on Xbox One.  Xbox One needs all good news stories this holiday.  Halo is not just their signature franchise, but has also always been incredibly polished.  Halo is one of the most beloved game series of all time.  Halo CE has never been online before, making this game a huge deal.  Xbox Live is the standard against which all console online networks must be measured.  The Xbox One install base is practically zero when compared with the numbers Microsoft has dealt with for online on the Xbox 360.  How in the world was this game, of all possible games, shipped with broken online.  It is completely mind boggling.  There is no way this should be a thing.  Microsoft do Halo and online.  That is what they do.  In November, you do not mess up your Halo and Xbox Live story publicly while trying to catch Sony. 

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 13th, 2014, 1:33 pm

I have to wonder as well - what other industry or entertainment medium would tolerate this?

When you buy an ebook, do you expect to see chapters mssing that you have to buy by clicking on a link inside the book? Or an album that you download, brand new, tracks 1-6, buy day one track packs of 7,8,9,and 10?

Where is the consumer reports for videogames? Where is the backlash from the game media, certainly it is not reflected in review scores from the big sites.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » November 13th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Since the DLC is so great I won't buy the game. I'll just wait until the Game of the Year edition comes out.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » November 13th, 2014, 4:22 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]
What has truly surprised me is the Halo issues right now on Xbox One.  Xbox One needs all good news stories this holiday.  Halo is not just their signature franchise, but has also always been incredibly polished.  Halo is one of the most beloved game series of all time.  Halo CE has never been online before, making this game a huge deal.  Xbox Live is the standard against which all console online networks must be measured.  The Xbox One install base is practically zero when compared with the numbers Microsoft has dealt with for online on the Xbox 360.  How in the world was this game, of all possible games, shipped with broken online.  It is completely mind boggling.  There is no way this should be a thing.  Microsoft do Halo and online.  That is what they do.  In November, you do not mess up your Halo and Xbox Live story publicly while trying to catch Sony. 

[/QUOTE]

Phil Spencer had expectations for the Halo Collection, I think 343 are going to have a nice encounter with the head of Xbox Games. 

Also, for the love of god Nintendo is probably going to end up having a similarly bad model in the future. They've already released a new color variant of the 2DS not very many are going to purchase because of the 'NEW 3DS'. If they feel the need to make special edition models for every variant of the 3DS/2DS (keyword being EVERY), then how many "collectors editions" will exist for the next Zelda or Metroid games?

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 13th, 2014, 4:41 pm

[QUOTE=Tron]Since the DLC is so great I won't buy the game. I'll just wait until the Game of the Year edition comes out.[/QUOTE]

I bought the game in May, its been a blast ever since. This is a nice shot in the butt to freshen it up. MY fave Wii U game, ure arcade racing fun, now with 40! beautiful tracks. Yoshi Island is for me the crown of the whole series, so that was great to see this HD version of it. I do not yet have a feel for that one yet though! The Tick Tock Clock is probably my second fave track of all time,, I dominate that bad boy.

Also, Hardocre, Nintendo has had transparent handhelds going back all the way to the Game Boy Color, at least! Its just a nice varient for those who have not jumped yet, or are coming of age, or need a replacement 3DS, thats all.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 13th, 2014, 6:41 pm

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/news/news_detail.aspx?c=tcm:152-184353-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

In this blog post, we wanted to touch on the fixes to the game that we’re working on right now.

First, as a quick reminder, a Day 1 update has already been released which fixes a number of issues. Make sure your console or PC is connected to the internet to benefit from the update’s fixes.

We are currently working on our next update that will help address some of the specific issues some players are having, including:

• Arno falling through the ground.
  • Game crashing when joining a co-op session.
  • Arno getting caught inside of hay carts.
  • Delay in reaching the main menu screen at game start.

In addition, we are already looking into many of the other issues you’ve told us about and we have more updates planned. This list doesn’t capture everything, but here are the most widely-reported problems we’ve heard about from you:

• Frame rate issues.
  • Graphical and collision issues.
  • Matchmaking co-op issues.
  • Helix Credits issues.

We will be providing additional details in the coming days, so check back for updates. In the meantime, please continue to send us your feedback, and leave a comment if you have any questions for us.

-The AC Live Updates Team

^This is just sad....get the day one update and then wait for update 2 so we can kind of, maybe fix a whole host of other persistent issues? I mean, wow, talk about zero pride in work and no professionalism.  Honestly, I think a law suit is in order, can you not make a case for fraud and malfeasance here?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » November 14th, 2014, 5:27 am

I don't hold Halo's online issues against it. The greatest stress such an aspect will have, especially without an extensive public test prior to release, is going to happen during the opening hours after launch when millions of people suddenly start playing it online. It doesn't surprise me too much that even at this point, unexpected problems rear their head with functionality like matchmaking when the floodgates open.

What puzzles and disappoints me is the frame rate drops, screen tearing, and other such anomalies (Particularly in splitscreen multiplayer). I understand why Halo 2 isn't 1080p due to their desire for instant switching and having to render two different pictures simultaneously. And sure, there's a lot of material here so there were bound to be a few things that could've been handled better. But a steady 60 FPS 99% of the time seemed like a reasonable expectation for last gen games on a next gen console. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-what-works-and-what-doesnt-in-halo-the-master-chief-collection

And from the sounds of it, they had no business even including splitscreen multiplayer in Halo 4. I understand that they're largely legacy issues affecting it, but if they're not going to do a good job of it by fixing problems while they're enhancing it at the same time, just don't do it at all. Xbox One should've been able to lift the many performance issues that apparently left Halo 4 splitscreen an unplayable mess. 

These are the inexcusable issues in my eyes. 

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » November 14th, 2014, 5:53 pm

Here's another atrocious example of buggy games released before it was ready.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/03/smash-bros-3ds-glitch_n_6095950.html

Being banned for 136 years for online play due to a glitch?  You'd think they'd take some pride in their work.  It's amazing anyone would buy such a piece of crap?  Am I right?

Or how about the same game causing the circle pad to get destroyed after only a few hours of play?

http://kotaku.com/24-hours-in-playing-smash-bros-on-my-3ds-is-wrecking-1644450677

You'd think someone would quality test the software before release.  I mean sure Nintendo can now sell a few more 3DSes due to them breaking, but that's not exactly good for consumers.  However, it is great for Nintendo as they need the cash.

Anyone remember Skyward's game breaking issue?

http://kotaku.com/5865426/game-breaking-skyward-sword-bug-confirmed-heres-how-to-avoid-it

It was pretty much posted on all the websites.  Unless you had multiple saves you had to completely start over.  Talk about humping over your audience.   

Kudos on another excellent idea for a thread!  Can anyone else think of super buggy, game breaking bugs from Nintendo?  I agree a class action lawsuit against Nintendo is in order.  They clearly can't take the time to get things right without requiring patches.  Frankly, it's embarrassing.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » November 14th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Like I said this industry was going to take a stinking radioactive dump on everything including Nintendo. The industry has exploited every possible marketing tactic to promote games or hardware. Whether or not it's sub-par releases or horribly overpriced or excessively limited-supply special editions. The UK and Europe as a whole is horrible for special edition releases by the way (just as bad as preorder exclusives here).

Return to “Modern Gaming”