Do we need a third competitor?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Robotrek

Re: Do we need a third competitor?

Postby Robotrek » February 16th, 2017, 3:11 am

C64_Critic1 wrote:I've very interested in what the Steam console may be able to do.  Many are dismissing it out of hand, but I would never count Steam out in anything they try.  Could be a new, fresh take on console gaming and may actually teach the Big Boys a thing or two about how to innovate!

And look where THAT went!

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » February 20th, 2017, 1:34 pm

Robotrek wrote:And look where THAT went!

I wish I could argue with you but yeah, if a die-hard STEAM fan like myself didn't see the point in getting a Steam console it's no surprising that it didn't take off. I suppose there's still a slim chance they can turn things around, but it's looking more and more like a failed product that will be relegated to the dustbin of console history.

GTS

Postby GTS » February 20th, 2017, 3:24 pm

I disagree with the statement "All 3 lack a big step forwards in terms of graphics" simply because someone says that every generation. I have a collection of vintage EGMs, and the letters to the editors are filled often said things like "The Super NES isn't much more powerful than the NES." Sometimes it takes a while to make a proper assessment.

scotland

Postby scotland » February 20th, 2017, 7:30 pm

GTS wrote:I disagree with the statement "All 3 lack a big step forwards in terms of graphics" simply because someone says that every generation.

Some generations have large obvious leaps in graphical abilities right from launch and some generational have the changes more incremental. Games like Super Mario Bros and even Keith Courage were pack in games that said this generation is an awesome step up. This generation did not have that type of introduction. Now you could blame that onnthe Wii U kicking off the generation instead of the PS4 or XB1. Its also harder to make a big impact with several years of making games for two generations, mid generation upgrades and now total replacements. As time goes on we look at comparing typical games of the generations. Even there , some generational leaps stand out, such as gen 4 to 5. Sure, there are standout gen 4 games, but its clear there is leap there. Do you think tis generatin has anything like that leap?

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » February 21st, 2017, 8:43 pm

scotland wrote:
GTS wrote:I disagree with the statement "All 3 lack a big step forwards in terms of graphics" simply because someone says that every generation.

Some generations have large obvious leaps in graphical abilities right from launch and some generational have the changes more incremental. Games like Super Mario Bros and even Keith Courage were pack in games that said this generation is an awesome step up. This generation did not have that type of introduction. Now you could blame that onnthe Wii U kicking off the generation instead of the PS4 or XB1. Its also harder to make a big impact with several years of making games for two generations, mid generation upgrades and now total replacements. As time goes on we look at comparing typical games of the generations. Even there , some generational leaps stand out, such as gen 4 to 5. Sure, there are standout gen 4 games, but its clear there is leap there. Do you think tis generatin has anything like that leap?

I don't think the WiiU kicking off this generation is a viable detraction of the argument though. Looking at PS2 to PS4 games does look better, but not as good as going SNES to N64, but still noticeable. (Or would it be more appropriate to compare SNES to GC in this case since it's two generations we're talking about here?) Honestly, the new games are a little better looking than the games of the past, but have we really gotten that much better than Halo and Half-Life 2? Those games are still beautiful by today's standards, and they are well over a decade old. The PS3 to PS4 really isn't a big leap in technology, especially on the graphical end. Games have looked pretty good now for 15 years. Yes, draw distances and resolutions have improved, but the fundamental graphical capability isn't that much in real life terms. Imagine you have a super fast 475 horse power car. The new one comes out and it has 500 horsepower. Does that really matter at that point? I think we've hit that point with graphics for systems and computers.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » February 21st, 2017, 10:24 pm

The graphical leaps not being as noticeable as they used to be is a classic case of diminishing returns, not to mention it was arguably easier to impress people with any sort of polygonal graphics back in the mid-90s due to them being unfamiliar at the time compared to pixels.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » February 22nd, 2017, 2:58 am

I think the Gamecube still looks good to be honest. With a S-video cable on my old Samsung DLP it looks sharp and colorful, it rivals how the same games look over component on the Wii connected to my cheapo Vizio downstairs.

My workplace setup a sweet game play area for the employees in the break room area with two nice 60" 4K TVs both with Xbox One S and PS4 Pros connected to them. Now maybe my eyes suck worse than I thought but I can't tell any difference from the regular PS4. Maybe there's no point for me to upgrade to a 4K TV and Scorpio later this year after all. :lol:

scotland

Postby scotland » February 22nd, 2017, 6:27 am

With 4k we have reached the point of minimal returns. If you sit about 9 feet away from your television (which is typical), that television would have to be an 84 inch 4K television for you to even begin to notice the difference over 1080.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » February 22nd, 2017, 7:50 am

hehe, yeah but as kid don't you remember sitting 2 feet in front of the tv? 4K will look awesome 2 feet in front. :)

Return to “Modern Gaming”