Lego Dimensions?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Lego Dimensions?

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 12th, 2015, 1:06 pm

Does anybody know what this is all about? Sounds like they are using the Skylanders approach with Lego bricks? I don't get it.

I'm starting to think they are spreading this formula a little thin.
I know Nintendo has done well with the Amiibos, but people aren't going to keep buying this stuff... are they??

Rev

Re: Lego Dimensions?

Postby Rev » April 13th, 2015, 12:43 pm

I know that skylanders were insanely popular for a while. When I worked at Hastings entertainment we used to get calls about those all the time. Now I'm hearing that amiibos have basically become the newest craze with people literally waiting hours in line to reserve the next batch... Not even to buy the figure... Just to reserve. Hopefully the market on those crash so I can eventually buy them. If they just keep getting more expensive I'm going to skip on them. It's insane.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 13th, 2015, 1:07 pm

This may be an evolution of movie IP video games.

Between Disney (with pixar, star wars, indiana jones, marvel comics, ABC) and Lego with a relationship with Time Warner (many films, buffy, looney tunes, lord of the rings, harry potter, DC comics, lego properties) IPs from other media can be easily montized around a single game engine. Add in collectible figurine and mashup fun. Gandalf vs Potter vs Wicked Witch of the West. There may not be a caddyshack game, but you could have a minifig groundskeeper Spackler.

I think movie tie in games will continue, but if you were making the next Bond film or Star Trek film, would you also.contract out to have 007 or Spock in one of these product lines?

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » April 13th, 2015, 5:28 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm starting to think they are spreading this formula a little thin.

It's LEGO, come on. Loyal cults will gobble this up for the Wizard of Oz tie ins. Also because Wizard of Oz.

Return to “Modern Gaming”