Cost of Mandatory installs on the PS4

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Cost of Mandatory installs on the PS4

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 23rd, 2015, 8:17 pm

Today I tried to play MLB 15 The Show and the system said I had to clear out disc space to install it. It directed me to the management screen where I discovered each game consumes about 20-50 GB. I have 15 games. I cleared out enough (last years The Show) but the system wasn't smart enough to realize I had enough room, so I had to restart the system. I guess Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly on bad software.

The worst part is, I guess I'll have to do this now whenever I get a new game. And if I ever want to pop in one of the old ones, there's a chance I might need to reinstall all over again.

There's something to be said for being able to play off a disc.

juhis815

Re: Cost of Mandatory installs on the PS4

Postby juhis815 » April 23rd, 2015, 11:41 pm

You really nailed the point here, as I do think that Sony completely under-estimated the capacity on HDD when they were designing the console. But hey, you can at least replace the HDD with bigger one if the default 500 GB is too small.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » April 23rd, 2015, 11:47 pm

That's too bad - I guess when I eventually get a PS4 in a year or two I'll just shell out for a 1 or 2 terabyte hard drive to go with it. I actually ended up getting a 320gb hard drive for my XBox360 a couple of years back because I was obsessed with having every game I owned installed (pretty sick, I know), but at least then you usually had the option to play immediately from the disc. I have to imagine that's got to take a toll on a kid - sitting there, squirming around while your new game installs itself.

Rev

Postby Rev » April 23rd, 2015, 11:50 pm

that sounds incredibly annoying... Considering I usually have at least 30+ games on a console eventually, that is an annoying feature.

Sut

Postby Sut » April 24th, 2015, 3:05 am

Yikes !
I like Velcozbombie like to have all my games installed at all times, but if that's a limitation of these HDD based consoles then that's just the way it is I suppose.
Is it easy to swap for a high capacity HDD ? Can you use an external one ? Or are we just making a bigger issue than it needs to be and just delete the games we are not playing ? Your save data etc is still saved right ?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 24th, 2015, 8:51 am

velcrozombie wrote:That's too bad - I guess when I eventually get a PS4 in a year or two I'll just shell out for a 1 or 2 terabyte hard drive to go with it. I actually ended up getting a 320gb hard drive for my XBox360 a couple of years back because I was obsessed with having every game I owned installed (pretty sick, I know), but at least then you usually had the option to play immediately from the disc. I have to imagine that's got to take a toll on a kid - sitting there, squirming around while your new game installs itself.

ha, I do the same thing! I bought a Chinese knock off HD for my 360 after upgrading from a 20 GB to 120 GB and then bought a knock off. Now, I'm hearing that the 360 will soon if not already start to support external hard drives to 2 TB. Sweet.

For my Xbox One I've already had to start deleting games that I've installed from disk. I think that's fine as it's easy to re-install. It's when you buy a Download copy of the game and have to "re-download" 30+ GB of data that it becomes a pain in the arse. That may take me a day or two to do that. Yuck.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » April 24th, 2015, 3:32 pm

Sut wrote:Yikes !
I like Velcozbombie like to have all my games installed at all times, but if that's a limitation of these HDD based consoles then that's just the way it is I suppose.
Is it easy to swap for a high capacity HDD ? Can you use an external one ? Or are we just making a bigger issue than it needs to be and just delete the games we are not playing ? Your save data etc is still saved right ?

The Xbox One officially supports an external USB 3.0 hard drive for storing game data. The PS4 does not offer this feature, but does allow the user to upgrade the internal drive (up to 2TB confirmed by users). I upgraded my PS4's hard drive with a 1TB Toshiba hybrid drive. I get much faster loading, installation, and deletion times now and will have plenty of storage space for the foreseeable future.

Return to “Modern Gaming”