Nintendo NX - What Are Your Thoughts?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ActRaiser

Re: Nintendo NX - What Are Your Thoughts?

Postby ActRaiser » June 17th, 2015, 8:11 pm

I found this and felt it goes over in the NX topic vs the e3 topic.

http://www.themarysue.com/nintendo-wii-u-may-be-dead/

Unless Tanabe is mistaken, the cat’s out of the bag, and the Wii U’s successor will be unveiled at next year’s E3, when the Wii U will only be four years old. That’s a pretty short console lifespan, so Nintendo’s plan of offering mostly outdated hardware to offset the cost of an expensive gimmick might not have panned out the second time around with what was basically the equivalent Nintendo DS: Home Console Edition.

So with all the smoke and mirrors cleared up, Nintendo’s E3 showing painted a pretty clear picture: the Wii U is on the way out. It may still be a fun console with some truly great games—Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros., Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, probably the new Zelda, and more—but at this point, it seems like buying a Wii U will be more about what it already has than what’s coming in the future. If you were on the fence about buying a Wii U, this E3 was probably a good indicator of what you’d be signing up for.

So..neener, neener someone else agrees with me. :D

scotland

Postby scotland » June 17th, 2015, 8:40 pm

Hard to argue with 'neener neener'.

How about flipping it then. Is there *anything* Nintendo could do, within reason, to increase sales of the WiiU at this point?

The console launched in November of 2012, so its only 2 and a half years old. The Xbox 360 launched in 2005, and its still got active players. That the Wii U will be dead and buried at 4 years old is just sad.

I've got an idea ... its destroying its central conceit, the expensive just one gamepad. Package up the 32 GB WiiU with two pro controllers, and sell it with two amiibos ... exclusive amiibos to the console bundle. Bundle it with an exclusive Pokémon Battle Exclusive remaster. Sell it for $200.

Then leverage the ancient PowerPC'ish architecture. Its old, so make the most of it. Port over the best of the Gamecube and the Wii, HD remasters, and for cheap. Some of the best games were not Nintendo, but maybe remasters of some of the Pokémon games, and an HD remaster of Twilight Princess.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » June 17th, 2015, 10:27 pm

ActRaiser wrote:I found this and felt it goes over in the NX topic vs the e3 topic.

http://www.themarysue.com/nintendo-wii-u-may-be-dead/

[i]Unless Tanabe is mistaken, the cat’s out of the bag, and the Wii U’s successor will be unveiled at next year’s E3, when the Wii U will only be four years old.

Again though, it depends on when it releases, not when it is revealed. If it's 2017, that's pretty much a typical Nintendo life cycle. NES 1985, SNES 1991, N64 1996, Gamecube 2001, Wii 2006, Wii U 2012. There's a pretty noticeable trend there. Mega success market leader by a mile 6 years, anything else 5 years. I don't know why that source thinks that's a particularly short Nintendo life cycle or an odd timeline for them. The N64 was first talked about to the public in 1994, when the SNES was 3. The Wii had more information out about it at this point in the Gamecube`s life than the NX has now in the Wii Us. And Nintendo ended the Wii similarly to how it looks like they will end the Wii U. One last Zelda exclusive that takes up the bulk of a year where they largely talk about the console they are releasing the next year. Zelda Wii U is more Skyward Sword than Twilight Princess I think (especially if the NX is a combined system, requiring that any port be able to run and look good on tablet screen while hardware has to exactly match the Wii U to make that work, making it one expensive portable).

Rev

Postby Rev » June 17th, 2015, 11:23 pm

scotland wrote:I've got an idea ... its destroying its central conceit, the expensive just one gamepad. Package up the 32 GB WiiU with two pro controllers, and sell it with two amiibos ... exclusive amiibos to the console bundle. Bundle it with an exclusive Pokémon Battle Exclusive remaster. Sell it for $200.

Then leverage the ancient PowerPC'ish architecture. Its old, so make the most of it. Port over the best of the Gamecube and the Wii, HD remasters, and for cheap. Some of the best games were not Nintendo, but maybe remasters of some of the Pokémon games, and an HD remaster of Twilight Princess.

I think those would be excellent ideas for Nintendo to follow. They should be focused on selling consoles, even at a loss, and increase the number of games available for the system. Doing HD remasters is definitely cheaper than coming up with brand new games and Nintendo has a large assortment of games that they could pull from. If they can sell consoles (even while losing money) they could get back into this generation.

Why didn't Nintendo showcase Fatal Frame for the Wii U at E3? That was announced for a U.S. release, wasn't it? What about other 3rd party titles? Mend the bridges... Bring something new to the party.

The sad part is that Nintendo has a vast library of great IP's that they could pull from instead of the same ones they have been pulling generation after generation. Even utilizing their same properties, Nintendo could do things that they have strictly not done in a long time. I think Sony proved at E3 that gamers have felt like their voices haven't been heard by the industry in a long time. If you read the comments for videos showcasing The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, or Final Fantasy VII, gamers who posted often mentioned how they were brought to tears with those announcements. They thought that we were doomed to only have Call of Duty 97- Space Wars, Assassin Creed 75- Blackbeard Ripping You a New One, and other things that have been coming out year after year.

Nintendo has been just as bad releasing the same types of games over and over. Mario Party 10? Super Mario 3D World? Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze? Nintendo is like "we gotta have another 3D and 2D Mario platformer, we need more of them dammit". "Oh did we get our two 3D Zelda titles in for the generation yet? Better work on that!" I think the reason these games aren't selling Wii U's is because gamers have been getting burned out on the same types of games that Nintendo has been releasing. Nintendo isn't adjusting their formula so I know a lot of gamers are feeling like why should they buy a Wii U for another Mario platformer.

What are some of the games that gamers have been holding out for years... decades.... for that Nintendo could reveal to the public. Earthbound 2 or a Mother 4 game (a real one, not a fan one) would sell millions of consoles by itself... yet Nintendo is so butt hurt over Earthbound on the SNES not selling decades ago they pretend that it doesn't have the huge following of gamers it has today. What about a new Advanced Wars game? I would buy that the first day it came out. An epic Fire Emblem game? Sign me up! What about a new 2D Metroid game? How long have people been begging for a full scale Pokemon RPG for a Nintendo console? Not Pokemon Stadium type of stuff. That would be a huge seller for the Wii U as not only would it play to the system's strengths (gamepad, free online play, amiibos, whatever) it could encourage people to transfer their game files from their handheld games to the Wii U (assuming they have a 3DS).

Nintendo shouldn't be pulling out the same type of games over and over because it has proven that Mario platformers don't sell consoles anymore, and why should it? Despite how great Nintendo is at making games, they release the same types of games year after year. Nintendo shouldn't have to feel like certain games are only suited for their handhelds when they could be utilizing both the 3DS and Wii U. They should be looking for games that gamers have long since given up hope on and release those types of games. While people may be burned out on all the 3D Mario games, I guarantee you an official Mother 4 game would easily sell a million+ Wii U's in a few days or less.

I feel like Nintendo has lost touch with what gamers actually want these days. Sure they are trying new things but they are utilizing their vast resources very poorly. It's a shame and if Nintendo is too foolish to turn this around, when really they still have enough cards to make a successful turnaround, perhaps they deserve to fail. I'll still buy from Nintendo and I support them but they have made some terrible decisions over the last few years. I really think they need someone to get hired in who can make intelligent decisions for the company and be like, "screw tradition, let's give gamers what they want."

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » June 18th, 2015, 5:51 am

Rev, I have to disagree on every point. The biggest push from Nintendo all year is a multi-player shooter about Squids shooting paint that has been given everything from multiple Directs, to Betas, to free DLC.

They're other big game is a sequel to Xenoblade, which is hardly a tired franchise.

Mario platformers don't sell consoles, well I see you the Mario 3D land 3DS sales increase and raise you the massive sales of each New Super Mario Bros title. Even New Super Mario Bros U has sold over 4 million copies, on a system with 10 million owners. To put it in perspective, that's about what Uncharted 3 did, on a system with 80 million owners.

I'm noticing a trend in posts and comments since E3 for people to claim Nintendo focuses on the wrong games because they focus on games the commenter isn't into. If you want to be cynical about it though, Nintendo on a pure sales basis should ONLY make Mario platformers, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and Mario Kart, with their main third party care going to Just Dance and Skylanders. The numbers show that those games sell systems and make tons of money doing it. Nintendo isn't going to sell more systems with a new earthbound than they can sell with Mario Kart. The sad truth is, the number of people who have played Earthbound could fit in a small convention space. A new earthbound would not bump sales noticeably.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » June 18th, 2015, 11:33 am

Nintendo needs to seriously take a break from Mario, I dare to say even the FPS Genre isn't as overblown as Mario at this point.

Rev

Postby Rev » June 18th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Atarifever wrote:Rev, I have to disagree on every point. The biggest push from Nintendo all year is a multi-player shooter about Squids shooting paint that has been given everything from multiple Directs, to Betas, to free DLC.

They're other big game is a sequel to Xenoblade, which is hardly a tired franchise.

Mario platformers don't sell consoles, well I see you the Mario 3D land 3DS sales increase and raise you the massive sales of each New Super Mario Bros title. Even New Super Mario Bros U has sold over 4 million copies, on a system with 10 million owners. To put it in perspective, that's about what Uncharted 3 did, on a system with 80 million owners. .

I get your point but honestly it doesn't matter how many consoles Mario has sold at this point. Yes Mario will sell a few million consoles by itself. Awesome. So will 3d Zelda titles. Woo. What they won't do it sell consoles to everyone else who doesn't own a Wii u at this point. Nintendo has pleased those people.

Nintendo is right around 10 million sold consoles so far. They need to target their other legions of fans to sell more at this point. Mario isn't going to sell 20+ million by himself. Also I never used xenoblade as a reference because I do not believe that is a tired franchise yet. Go Nintendo for releasing a new one of those, they should. The Wii game is highly collectible and one of the best games on the original Wii.

I also get what you're saying about animal crossing and the other games you mentioned. I agree that they sell consoles and Nintendo is an expert at getting non gamers to buy their stuff. Awesome. Still Nintendo needs something else to survive at this point. What I'm saying is for Nintendo to use these other franchises they have seemed to ignore to cater to more of those people who seem to have gotten burned out from Nintendo's usual offering.

I bet you a new mother game would sell just as many consoles as Mario has this generation if not more. Nintendo has huge cult followings of gamers who have been ignored because I feel Nintendo is not targeting all the possible genres they could. Give the gamers who grew up with Nintendo hope just like Sony did with their e3 release. Give them something they have wanted for years and make those titles known.

Yes animal crossing, just dance, and others sell consoles. But why buy those when you can get the last version which is basically the same. Use ips that haven't been used in years. Obviously something Nintendo is doing isn't working. This is one way (and imo a great way) to reach other gamers.

BTW I like animal crossing and have like 6 versions of it. I also have just dance for the Wii. I rarely play then but I respect that there are gamers out their who love them. Obviously those people are not enough to make the Wii u successful because the console isn't selling like it could.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 18th, 2015, 2:08 pm

Atarifever wrote:Rev, I have to disagree on every point. The biggest push from Nintendo all year is a multi-player shooter about Squids shooting paint that has been given everything from multiple Directs, to Betas, to free DLC.

Um, yeah, they're releasing free DLC as it only shipped with 5 maps... Five freaking maps.

Seriously, no other multiplayer game has ever, EVER launched with as few maps. If this was any other game/company everyone would be screaming they launched a half-baked, half-finished game.

What irks me about this game is that you can only play 2 maps at any given time. It's just weird. I've got the game so I feel like I can bash it whole heartily. It's fun but annoying when you constantly play the same map, back to back to back to back. At least pull all the maps into rotation so it doesn't feel the same every play time.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » June 18th, 2015, 2:26 pm

Lol it's funny how Nintendo thinks VR isn't fun but drops the ball on the Wii U harder than Sega did for the Saturn.

What a bunch of grandpas. :roll:

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » June 18th, 2015, 3:06 pm

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE if Nintendo came out with brand new disc release of a Mother/Earthbound game. Hell at this point, I'd go nuts if they released a compilation disk of Earthbound games. The reality is that it's not a system seller. It would make so called "hardcore gamers" happy, but it's not going to push systems. It's a series most people have never played and are only familiar with because of the SNES's grail game status or because of Smash Bros.

Also since 2010 there have been EXACTLY 3 console based Mario platformers released for both the Wii and the Wii U. Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii U and Super Mario 3D World. By comparison since 2013 there have been 2 Assasin's Creed titles with a 3rd one to be released this year. Mario is in alot of games because the little chubby bastard is the face of Nintendo. Actual Mario Platformers come along once every few years. The market is hardly saturated with them. Also each one that comes out is drastically different and offers the player something new and fresh to experience.

Return to “Modern Gaming”