New Tennis and Golf Games?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New Tennis and Golf Games?

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 3rd, 2015, 10:35 am

It used to be that each year there was at least one new golf or tennis game. Remember the PGA series for the Genesis and Tiger Woods series for the Wii? I don't see ANY new tennis or golf games this year.

It's kind of a reflection of the industry in general. There are very few titles being released (in physical form at least) and the genres are limited.

I was reading an old magazine from the 90's, and just about every day in July had several new games being released. Then I pick up the new Game Informer and there are 3-4 titles being released for the entire month!

I think others have lamented the "disappearance of the middle class" in video games. We get either big budget games on disc or low-budget games as download only. I think a lot of people prefer games that fall in the middle, combining cutting edge graphics with pick-up-and-play gameplay.

scotland

Re: New Tennis and Golf Games?

Postby scotland » July 3rd, 2015, 10:54 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:It used to be that each year there was at least one new golf or tennis game...I think others have lamented the "disappearance of the middle class" in video games. We get either big budget games on disc or low-budget games as download only. I think a lot of people prefer games that fall in the middle, combining cutting edge graphics with pick-up-and-play gameplay.

I was shopping yesterday for portable games, and their seemed to be different pricing tiers suggesting a middle class still exists, its just not what it used to be. Since I was shopping for games for both myself and family, I saw a middle tier of lots of intellectual property games - games that if you are in a sour mood you might call shovelware with an IP tie in. I did not see what you are talking about - a 2015 Sport X Game starring Sports Legend Joe Schmough or something. It was mostly this superhero or that that Mattel character or something. They are what they are.

Tron

Postby Tron » July 3rd, 2015, 1:06 pm

I'm looking forward to Rory Mcilroy PGA Tour Golf by EA. I don't have a PS4 or Xbone, but for a new golf game I might get one. Imagine that, a new golf game could be the reason why someone buys a PS4. What I'm excited about is that it will include the 3-click swing mechanics. I believe the last Tiger Woods to do that was 2012. It's been awhile. I hope they entirely redo the mechanics though as 2012 was nowhere near as good as the Hot Shots Golf 3/click swing. In fact it was pretty bad. The thing that bothers me is I've read it only has 12 courses. That sounds weak for a 2015 game. I know they have to pay big bucks to use official courses, but I don't care about official courses anyway. It's not like I'll ever play on them. They could've done 20 fictional courses & if be happier with that. Use your imagination EA & give us something creative.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 4th, 2015, 9:02 am

Thanks for the heads up about the Rory Mcilroy Golf. I just looked it up on Amazon and it's due July 14th. That's a little late in the golf season (Spring would have been nice) but maybe it's best they didn't rush it I'm sure I'll be picking it up.

jon

Postby jon » July 4th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Yea it's a joke. There also used to be a million football games, which was really interesting back then. Stuff like VR Football.

TimPossible

Postby TimPossible » July 5th, 2015, 10:13 am

Critic,

I told you before to pick up "The Golf Club" for PS4. It's out on physical disc now for $40 as it used to be download only. Make sure it is PS4 as it runs in 1080P vs the 900P on XB1 it just got to last month from 720P. The game has a full course creator and there are about 70K courses right now available online. There are leagues that mimic the real life PGA. Check out TGC Tours as it is a sweet league.

Rory comes out next week with 8 real PGA courses and no Augusta. 9 if you pre-order so you can get Scottsdale. There are 5 fantasy courses as well so just a total of 13-14 at launch. Surprisingly EA has promised some free DLC and they better not be shirts and pants but courses due to the lame amount available at launch.

jon

Postby jon » July 5th, 2015, 6:33 pm

Soon it's going to be Jordan Spieth Golf if things keep on going this way. The PGA tour is really exciting these days and it would be nice if the game was good.

Tron

Postby Tron » July 5th, 2015, 9:31 pm

I've also heard that "The Golf Club" was excellent. I believe it's currently the most popular golf game right now. Too bad there is no 3-click swing option. I've just never warmed up to analogue shooting.

Return to “Modern Gaming”