No Split Screen in Halo 5

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ActRaiser

Re: No Split Screen in Halo 5

Postby ActRaiser » July 7th, 2015, 12:01 pm

ESauce wrote:And look, there goes me buying this game. I play Halo with my wife. No splitscreen means we'll be sticking with Gears on Xbox One (assuming it still has split screen)

Yep, that's something Microsoft hasn't quite thought through yet. Dropping split screen also drops a lot of the reasons why the franchise has been as popular as it is.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » July 7th, 2015, 2:16 pm

I'm not happy with this but then again, cinema junkies will whine incoherently over the lack of BUTTER SMOOTH FPS.

Steve

Postby Steve » July 7th, 2015, 5:21 pm

I've played all Halo single player and multiplayer including split screen. While personally I didn't enjoy split screen, I did enjoy every other aspect of this game. Assuming the entire package is at least as good as other entries in the franchise, is it really worth not buying the game, or even getting an Xbox One just over this missing feature? Obviously there is an audience for split-screen and I can understand voicing an opinion in certain places but this clearly seems like an overreaction to me. It almost seems like people have more excuses to NOT buy a game rather than buy it. Why not wait to judge the game for what it is when it comes out? Where is the focus on the new game mode (Warzone?) which to me seems infinitely better than split-screen. ActRaiser, I usually don't like when people single out other posts but this comment surprised me so much so, it is what prompted me to make a rare posting myself, "The only other thing to do is to not buy it. That's my next step.". Aren't you a pretty big Halo fan?

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 7th, 2015, 6:37 pm

I agree that is an overreaction, and i'm really not surprised by this one bit, split-screen local multiplayer is just one more trend that seems to be dying out so I suppose 343 Industries didn't see the point in spending time on a mode that hardly anyone would play. Course there is always the chance they could patch it in post-release if the demand is high enough.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » July 7th, 2015, 7:41 pm

Not to mention Grand Theft Auto is a very well established series, but never had been defined by its console-based online services.

The fifth installment is one of if not the most successful titles of late last generation.

Again, Split Screen is a staple feature, but this is an era where basics are cut left and right.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 7th, 2015, 10:08 pm

Steve wrote:I've played all Halo single player and multiplayer including split screen. While personally I didn't enjoy split screen, I did enjoy every other aspect of this game. Assuming the entire package is at least as good as other entries in the franchise, is it really worth not buying the game, or even getting an Xbox One just over this missing feature? Obviously there is an audience for split-screen and I can understand voicing an opinion in certain places but this clearly seems like an overreaction to me. It almost seems like people have more excuses to NOT buy a game rather than buy it. Why not wait to judge the game for what it is when it comes out? Where is the focus on the new game mode (Warzone?) which to me seems infinitely better than split-screen. ActRaiser, I usually don't like when people single out other posts but this comment surprised me so much so, it is what prompted me to make a rare posting myself, "The only other thing to do is to not buy it. That's my next step.". Aren't you a pretty big Halo fan?

Oh, I'm probably the single, biggest Halo fan on these boards. I think I've bought every legendary edition. The thing that separates Halo from all other games is its ability to foster fun in your house by yourself and with others. I can play any other game online and have a great time. But there are few games that allow friends to come over and have a great time as well.

Imagine your favorite food in all the world is pepperoni pizza. You look forward to it and order it whenever you get the chance but it's not all that often. Now, imagine when you place your order they tell you they're all out of pepperoni but you can still have a cheese pizza at the same cost as a pizza with pepperoni. Sure, there's nothing wrong with cheese pizza but I had my heart set on a pepperoni pizza. Now, that I've been thinking about having pepperoni pizza all day a cheese pizza by itself won't cut it. I'm going to order Chinese instead, maybe, make myself some mac n' cheese. I don't know. All I know is I had my heart set on pepperoni pizza and they're offering up a cheese pizza instead at the same price.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » July 7th, 2015, 10:13 pm

Steve wrote:I've played all Halo single player and multiplayer including split screen. While personally I didn't enjoy split screen, I did enjoy every other aspect of this game. Assuming the entire package is at least as good as other entries in the franchise, is it really worth not buying the game, or even getting an Xbox One just over this missing feature? Obviously there is an audience for split-screen and I can understand voicing an opinion in certain places but this clearly seems like an overreaction to me. It almost seems like people have more excuses to NOT buy a game rather than buy it. Why not wait to judge the game for what it is when it comes out? Where is the focus on the new game mode (Warzone?) which to me seems infinitely better than split-screen. ActRaiser, I usually don't like when people single out other posts but this comment surprised me so much so, it is what prompted me to make a rare posting myself, "The only other thing to do is to not buy it. That's my next step.". Aren't you a pretty big Halo fan?

And let me ask you a question: if you go to a particular restaurant specifically for the surf and turf and always order the surf and turf, what do you think when they stop serving the entire surf part of their menu? Perhaps you ask why. When they say "so we can focus on the turf" is it an over-reaction to say "no thanks. I'll go somewhere that still serves what I want."

Of course not. It's rational behaviour. I don't care how much better they make half the menu if I'm only there for the combined full meal. Other people offer the full meal, so I'll go there.

How in the world is it an over-reaction to not buy a product that is missing 50% or more of what you would have bought it for? It would be rather curious, if you ask me, to be anything other than upset with losing half of a product you like. For me, couch multi-player is now nearly 100% of what Halo is to me. Why should I give the 0% I don't want to play a chance? Know what else is 0% Halo? A million other games I do want.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » July 7th, 2015, 10:15 pm

Wow, great minds seem to think alike. Or maybe we're just both hungry. :)

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 7th, 2015, 10:20 pm

Atarifever wrote:Wow, great minds seem to think alike. Or maybe we're just both hungry. :)

haha, that's freaking awesome. :)

Crazy and fantastic.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » July 7th, 2015, 11:10 pm

Yeah, I'm completely disinterested in this game. I'm the complete opposite of Vexer in the fact that I pretty much only play multiplayer in first person shooters. Single player in those games simply don't interest me at all, so this game will never get my support. The best part of Halo, IMO, is the multiplayer, and taking split screen away (I prefer couch based multiplayer to online) is a huge no-no for many fans, including me.

Return to “Modern Gaming”