Does anyone else besides me see the PS3/Xbox 360/iOS/Android/3DS/PS Vita are holding back the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U/PC?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Does anyone else besides me see the PS3/Xbox 360/iOS/Android/3DS/PS Vita are holding back the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U/PC?

Postby Sonicx9 » August 7th, 2015, 8:25 pm

I ask, because I have noticed that the PC/PS4/Xbox One/Wii U are all being held back by the PS3/Xbox 360/iOS/Android/3DS/PS Vita lowest common denominator, lets take a look at the many cross-gen multi platform games that are being held back/might get held back.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was held back, do to the 3DS version as the Ice climbers not being included with both versions/bugs/glitches, etc, because of the 3DS lowest common denominator.

Little Big Planet 3 was held back, do to the PS3 version as the PS4 version is only 30FPS caped/bugs/glitches, etc, because of the 3DS lowest common denominator.

MLB The Show 14/15 are both held back, do the PS3/Vita lowest common denominator.

Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 are both held back, do to the PS3/Vita versions lowest common denominator.

Thief 2014 was held back, do to the PS3/Xbox 360 editions/bugs/glitchs/30fps cap on PS4/Xbox One, etc.

Titanfall was held back, do to the Xbox 360 edition as the resolution on Titanfall is 792p on Xbox One.

Alien: Isolation is held back, do to the PS3/Xbox 360 editions, due to the 30fps cap on PS4/Xbox One.

Destiny was held back, do to the PS3/Xbox 360 editions, due to the 30fps cap.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag was held back, do to the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U editions, due to the 30fps cap on PS4/Xbox One, bugs, glitches, etc.

Watch Dogs was held back, do to the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U editions, due to the 30fps cap on/sub 1080p resolution on PS4/Xbox One/bugs/glitches/graphical downgrades, etc.

The Evil Within was held back do, to the PS3/Xbox 360 editions, as the PS4/Xbox One versions were both 30fps cap, bugs, glitches/other problems, etc.

Sniper Elite 3 was held back, do to the PS3/Xbox 360: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... 3-face-off

Battlefield 4/Hardline/Advanced Warfare/Black Ops 3 are all held back from the PS3/Xbox 360 editions, as Battlefield 4/Hardline are 720P/sub 1080p/bugs/glitches for all versions of the said games, etc.

Murdered: Soul Suspect was held back, do to the PS3/Xbox 360 editions.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse was held back, do to the PS3/Xbox 360 editions because of the 30fps cap on PS4/Xbox One: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... e-face-off

Dead or Alive 5 Last Round was held back, do to the PS3/Xbox 360 editions, and the PC port of Dead or Alive 5 Last Round was ported from the PS3 build and not the PS4/Xbox One build do to the Cross Gen spread, bugs/glitches, etc

Dragon Age: Inquisition was held back, do to the PS3/Xbox 360 editions because of the 30fps cap on PS4/Xbox One.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will be held back do to the Xbox 360 edition.

Persona 5 will be held back do to the PS3 edition.

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness will be held back do to the PS3 edition.

Far Cry 4 was held back, do to the PS3/Xbox 360 editions because of the 30fps cap on PS4/Xbox One.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain might be held back, do to the PS3/Xbox 360 editions.

Mighty No. 9 might be held back, do to the PS3/Xbox 360/3DS/PS Vita editions because the game was delayed do to bugs/glitches: http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder ... next-year/

The only games that were cross gen, that were not ruined was Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and WWE2k15 as the PS3/Xbox 360 edition of Mordor was garbage:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-shadow-of-mordor-last-gen-revisited, and the WWE2k15 game on PS3/Xbox 360 was different from the PS4/Xbox One/PC editions.

I would like to here the critic/other peoples thoughts/opinions on this?

Sonicx9

Re: Does anyone else besides me see the PS3/Xbox 360/iOS/Android/3DS/PS Vita are holding back the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U/PC?

Postby Sonicx9 » August 8th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Anyone here able to reply to what I just wrote?

Sut

Re: Does anyone else besides me see the PS3/Xbox 360/iOS/Android/3DS/PS Vita are holding back the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U/PC?

Postby Sut » August 8th, 2015, 4:35 pm

I think the previous gen did hold back the current gen at the beginning. But now your starting to see the PS4/Xbone hit their stride and development is focusing on those consoles rather than being ported up from seventh gen.

JWK

Postby JWK » August 9th, 2015, 2:09 pm

I'm assuming you are coming at it from the angle that if it wasn't for the PS3 and 360, all these games wouldn't have bugs and would be 1080p and 60 FPS, right? That's simply inaccurate for SO many reasons. Assassins Creed Unity is an 8th gen only game and was one of the buggiest games ever created. Can't blame the 7th gen consoles for that. Even after months of patches it still only ran at 30 FPS, so 8th gen framerates have nothing to do with being held back by any other generation of consoles. There are examples of the opposite situation as well; Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes and MGS V are cross generation games and yet they both hit 1080p and 60 FPS on PS4. What are the two best looking 8th gen only games? The Order 1886 and Ryse. Neither game hit 1080p OR 60 fps! There are literally dozens of other examples.

As was stated, the only time games were held back by the 7th gen is when the 360 and PS3 were the platforms these games were developed for and then PORTED to the PS4 and X1. That hasn't happened for a long time. In fact it's the 7th gen that are getting the ports and those are the games that are suffering from lazy developers skipping corners (see Shadow of Mordor on PS3 as a prime example).

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 9th, 2015, 5:45 pm

JWK wrote:I'm assuming you are coming at it from the angle that if it wasn't for the PS3 and 360, all these games wouldn't have bugs and would be 1080p and 60 FPS, right? That's simply inaccurate for SO many reasons. Assassins Creed Unity is an 8th gen only game and was one of the buggiest games ever created. Can't blame the 7th gen consoles for that. Even after months of patches it still only ran at 30 FPS, so 8th gen framerates have nothing to do with being held back by any other generation of consoles. There are examples of the opposite situation as well; Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes and MGS V are cross generation games and yet they both hit 1080p and 60 FPS on PS4. What are the two best looking 8th gen only games? The Order 1886 and Ryse. Neither game hit 1080p OR 60 fps! There are literally dozens of other examples.

As was stated, the only time games were held back by the 7th gen is when the 360 and PS3 were the platforms these games were developed for and then PORTED to the PS4 and X1. That hasn't happened for a long time. In fact it's the 7th gen that are getting the ports and those are the games that are suffering from lazy developers skipping corners (see Shadow of Mordor on PS3 as a prime example).

I am not saying that games will automatically be 1080P/60FPS/better graphics, what I am saying is that the PS3/Xbox 360/iOS/Android/3DS/PS Vita versions of PC/PS4/Xbox One/Wii U games are all being held back in some way/shape/form due to the lowest common denominator of the PS3/Xbox 360/iOS/Android/3DS/PS Vita systems, because games such as Destiny were only 30fps, due to the PS3/Xbox 360 versions:http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Destiny-Isn-t-60fps-PS4-Xbox-One-Due-Being-Cross-Gen-64733.html and games such as Super Smash Bros. for Wii U could not have the Ice Climbers, due to the 3DS versions lowest common denominator:http://smashboards.com/threads/ice-climbers-where-they-go.373076/ and http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=910136 and https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comm ... _climbers/.

And according to Rich from ReviewTechUSA, he said that if developers sold focus on the PC/PS4/Xbox One/Wii U game systems:https://youtu.be/2I8BaM1yNSc?t=5m51s, not only will the developers get the most out of the respective systems in Graphics/Resolution/Frame-rate/Innovations, etc, their will also be less buggy/glitches games because the developers are only focusing on the current highest common denominator witch is the PC/PS4/Xbox One/Wii U, he also complains about how the PC/PS4/Xbox One versions of Black Ops III is going to be held back by the PS3/Xbox 360 versions of the game:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNDHAhBbP2E., he also says that it is impossible to make the same exact game on the weaker systems such as the PS3/Xbox 360/iOS/Android/3DS/PS Vita along with the more powerful PC/PS4/Xbox One/Wii U if you want to push the more advance systems to their proper limits: https://youtu.be/Tw55re7QTEM?t=2m11s

I have been told that when you make a game, you got to cater to the weeakist hardware when you make the game, it also has been proven when you develop for the 4 currently most powerful hardware PC/PS4/Xbox One/Wii U, not only due you push the hardware to their proper limits, but you will also have less problems too. A game like Mighty No. 9 might be buggy at launch as the game is being developed for 10 different platform types, some such as the 3DS/PS Vita/Xbox 360/PS3 versions are on less powerful hardware and are all going to hold back to other versions witch is the PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/Xbox One/Wii U versions of the game.

Games that are true Next Gen in mind Multiplatform games such as Kingdom Hearts 3/Mad Max 2015 game/Final Fantasy XV/Dying Light/Yooka-Laylee/Tembo the Badass Elephant are all made with the PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/Xbox One and or the Wii U in mind if applied, if all of those games were being down ported to the PS3/Xbox 360/iOS/Android/3DS/PS Vita, the games I mentioned above will all be shrunken in size, the levels of Yooka-Laylee would be shrunken if the game was ported to the PS3/Xbox 360/iOS/Android/3DS/PS Vita, and other sacrifice will be made, etc, you do not want another Watch Dogs situation again do you folks.

Here is a video talking about the lowest common denominator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0uzHJ8sHjg

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 9th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Here is a comment from GameFAQs that says it perfectly clear for Rise of the Tomb Raider:

"This isnt really the reason 360 games hold back current gen though. He is saying that their team doesnt have to split up their manpower to work on 2 different versions. So yes in a sense he is right. But dont get too excited yet because what he fails to mention is that just having a 360 version exist at all has already gimped the current gen version. Reason being is in game development when you make a game you have to make a technical prototype to test your engine and ideas on whatever console*s you're developing said game on to make sure the console can run it and support your vision of what you want it to be without the game halting to a slideshow lest it be a waste of development time. So therefore that tells us that unless the 2 games are radically different than each other (such as forza horizon 2) that the 360 build passed the prototype phase and WILL indeed hold it back since its the lowest common denominator in terms of stress testing tech and the current gen version will use the EXACT same prototype unless the 2 games have 2 different stories,scenarios, and gameplay systems. Which i highly doubt. And dont get me wrong Im looking forward to this game very much too. But its jjstt he way it is. When they just DONT make it on 360 is when 360 wont hold iit back anymore."

JWK

Postby JWK » August 9th, 2015, 8:00 pm

A developer coming forward and saying that a team was split to work on different generations of a game is a whole lot different than Rich from Reviewtech (whom I know) and random YouTube videos or gamefaq comments. If it's word from a developer, it's confirmed; different gens of consoles held back the 8th gen versions. If it's Rich or another YouTube guy or a GameFAQ forum user, it's an opinion. An unsubstantiated theory. Speaking of which, there may be one or two in your laundry list that is accurate, but most of them are simply your opinion. Ok, if Destiny is actually CONFIRMED to be 30 fps by the developer because of the PS3 and 360, sure that makes sense. But a bunch of your examples aren't substantiated. A lot of these games are ported by a completely different development team when going to a handheld or a 7th gen console. They take the existing version of the game-- created on the initial console of choice or PC in many cases-- and then optimize the code for a different console or handheld. The initial code of the game isn't hampered when it's ported to a different console. This is why it would be ridiculous to say that PS3 versions of The Show was hampered by the PS2 version. After 2012, there were no more The Show games ported to the Ps2. Does that mean that The Show '13 was a massive technological leap over The Show '12? No it wasn't. Why? Because the PS3 was always the primary console of development. They just stopped making downgraded ports that worked on the PS2. Eventually they'll do the same thing with the PS3 and 360 with games that are created primarily for the 8th generation of consoles.

Let's say you don't buy what I just wrote-- despite it being accurate. :) What's the solution? Stop developing games that get ported to PS3 and 360? That would be the same as convincing a developer to stop making as much money on their projects. It won't happen. And if you think about it, every game "suffers" by having (at least) three versions on PS4, XBox One and PC. If you really want to technologically optimize a game, just make every game an exclusive. But wait! Aren't there tons of exclusives that still don't hit 1080p and 60 FPS? Why, yes! In fact most exclusives don't hit that mark. There is a single XBox One exclusive that is 1080p and 60 fps and that's Forza 5. Oh well, that's okay. Because creating an exclusive also means a developer is walking away from money by being sold on multiple platforms. And around and around we go. Hope that helps!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 9th, 2015, 9:20 pm

Here is more proof that the 3DS version hold back the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros. 2014, in not just the sales figures, but had to remove content such as the Ice Climbers characters, do to the 3DS lowest common denominator hardware limitations.

https://youtu.be/SInWcMtpmLg?t=1m24s

JWK

Postby JWK » August 10th, 2015, 2:07 am

LOL! You must have missed it the first time I said it, but just because a guy has a camera and a YouTube channel doesn't make him an industry insider. This isn't "proof" of anything. It's an opinion of a gamer that you happen to agree with.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 10th, 2015, 1:59 pm

JWK is right. I think what he is trying to point out is that you source a bunch of items as "proof" when they are really just opinions from random people online. There is going to be an opinion that matches yours somewhere online. Just because you found it doesn't mean it is a conspiracy or that it is sudden proof of some theory. If you want your theories/discussions to be taken more seriously, find actual proof. Don't just go google searching opinions and expect people to take that as verification that you're right, anyone can do that.

Return to “Modern Gaming”