Wow, Dead or Alive Extreme 3 just became way more popular.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ThePixelatedGenocide

Wow, Dead or Alive Extreme 3 just became way more popular.

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 27th, 2015, 4:39 am

For those who haven't heard the controversy, Tecmo wasn't going to bring the game to the states, due to the fact that they finally figured out some gamers find playing with vaguely sexualized underage Barbie dolls more disturbing than sexy. Enter import distributor Play Asia - they trolled a few people on the internet, claimed they were standing tall against the "SJW menace", and BOOM, they're the new heroes of the first amendment, and business is booming.

So...

Is this all it takes to create a first amendment controversy now? Has outreach to Western gamers importing Japanese games really become this cynical?

Maybe Konami gave up on the gaming market too soon.

I bet they could sell their erotic Castlevania pachinko game, if they just claim someone is trying to prevent everyone else from playing it.

Shapur

Re: Wow, Dead or Alive Extreme 3 just became way more popular.

Postby Shapur » November 28th, 2015, 5:07 pm

I hadn't heard of this but a little Google research showed that Tecmo's response basically said in broken English that the game was too sexist for release in the West so I don't think Play Asia made it all up. Tecmo didn't say "this game isn't going to sell, so we aren't releasing it"

Hardcore Sadism

Re: Wow, Dead or Alive Extreme 3 just became way more popular.

Postby Hardcore Sadism » November 29th, 2015, 6:49 pm

There apparently wasn't an issue with underage teens making out (creepy) in a boarding school thug game developed by Rockstar some few years ago, though...

Return to “Modern Gaming”