Does anyone else beside me, Dave the Video Game Critic, and Rich of ReviewTechUSA hate the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
NintiesGeezer

Re: Does anyone else beside me, Dave the Video Game Critic, and Rich of ReviewTechUSA hate the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U?

Postby NintiesGeezer » April 25th, 2016, 5:57 pm

You're not alone.

I was already starting to become apprehensive at the end of the last generation (I can't even believe it's already that), but the full blown "online-or-die" attitude as well as all the scandals with patches. I guess you could say that this is the generation where gaming has Jumped the Shark.

Wii U is the last main holdout, but it feels very hollow library wise.

Ultimately the 3DS is the only one I can say satisfies me anymore.

Kinda sad, but if I were to buy the PS4 or Xbox One (and for once I side with Sony), I'd use them pretty much as computers [the Chromebook's getting to be pretty pathetic] for things like Netflix than for the actual games.

velcrozombie

Re: Does anyone else beside me, Dave the Video Game Critic, and Rich of ReviewTechUSA hate the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U?

Postby velcrozombie » April 25th, 2016, 7:38 pm

The only one I have is the Wii U and I've only used it for gaming sporadically, although that has been just as much because I've been taking periods of time off from gaming as the lack of the releases from Nintendo. I have recently come back and have been trying to play 30-60 minutes at least a few times a week to get through my (admittedly small) backlot of Wii/Wii U games.

I've become much more of a PC gamer recently. There's no reason not to at this point: the convenience of PC gaming has pulled evenly or even surpassed console gaming (with the occasional catastrophic exception), I don't have to deal with discs or cartridges, I can use my 42" HDTV as a monitor via a 20-foot HDMI cable, I can use a 360 controller for most games and I can buy 20 PC games for the price of a full-priced console game. I'll eventually pick up a PS4, but I'm in no big hurry; I'll probably fill in the gaps in my older systems for a few years until I there's a decent backlog on one of the new consoles to dig into.

EDIT: "There's no reason not to at this point" sounds presumptuous - what I meant is, after looking at all the pros and cons (including DRM, the need to periodically update your hardware and not having physical discs beyond the copies I can make for myself) of using the PC as my main gaming platform I decided that it worked best for me.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » April 26th, 2016, 4:44 pm

I dig my PS4 but it honestly feels like a huge step back, when it comes to the PS Store. Every now and then, I'll swing by to see what's new, and it always leaves me feeling underwhelmed. I would love to see those out-of-left-field surprises like The Simpsons Arcade, TMNT, X-Men, etc. I'm a retro nut and, with the exception of a small handful of games, they simply don't exist in the market. I would have thought, given the impact of Shenmue III's announcement, Shenmue's 1 and 2 would have seen release by now. The entire digital space seems like a complete missed opportunity this generation.

Am I alone in thinking this? I've tried finding articles about it, but haven't had any luck.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 26th, 2016, 6:40 pm

velcrozombie wrote: I've become much more of a PC gamer recently. [It works best for me considering]: the convenience of PC gaming has pulled evenly or even surpassed console gaming, I don't have to deal with discs or cartridges, I can use my 42" HDTV as a monitor via a 20-foot HDMI cable, I can use a 360 controller for most games and I can buy 20 PC games for the price of a full-priced console game. I

BanjoPickles wrote: I'm a retro nut and, with the exception of a small handful of games, they simply don't exist in the market.

These comments cover it for me. While the PS4 and XB1 really are defining modern video games, PCs are a better fit for me and my retro proclivities and disinterest in most online gaming.

I don't hate the PS4 and the XB1 though, not at all. Its just for me and my family, the gaming arithmetic favors other options, and there are lots of other options.

The Nintendo NX may fit the bill, but I right now I choose to spend money in retro gaming, such as modding consoles, collecting systems and games, etc.

Return to “Modern Gaming”