Xbox 360 Hidden Gems?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JustLikeHeaven

Xbox 360 Hidden Gems?

Postby JustLikeHeaven » April 4th, 2016, 2:03 pm

So I'm looking to bolster my library of 360 games. Right now seems like a good time to strike as games aren't crazy expensive for the system. So I'm hoping to compile a list of hidden gems that I need to track down for the 360. I'm not looking for must have games like Gears of War, Halo etc... I'd like recommendations for the games that the masses skipped over. Stuff like Ninja Blade and Raiden Fighter Aces. I'd also like to keep it to console exclusives.

Sooooooooooo...what should I be tracking down?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Xbox 360 Hidden Gems?

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Deathsmiles is a good 2d shooter.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » April 4th, 2016, 6:48 pm

Definitely go for Lost Odyssey if you enjoy PS2 RPGs. It's very much a throwback to that style and has great writing and character design. The combat isn't perfect but it's serviceable. The real treat is the memory sequences which are basically short stories.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » April 5th, 2016, 1:59 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming! I want to compile a big ol list.

Steve

Postby Steve » April 5th, 2016, 2:31 pm

In honor of Quantum Break coming out today, I would suggest Alan Wake (which is also my favorite game of all time).

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 5th, 2016, 5:03 pm

Apologies for the wall of text. I started and couldn't quite quit.

Here are a few across Xbox Live Arcade and Disk Only

Download Only
Fight Night Round 3 Demo
...yes demo... It's awesome to see someone's face jiggle from a blow. You don't need to buy the actual game to enjoy a 1 on 1 versus game with your buddy. The actual game is slower paced, hence, why I recommend the demo.

Prey Demo
...yes demo...Play the first level. That's all you need to enjoy one of the best openings to a game ever made. :) Trust me on this.

Geometry Wars - Asteroids on crack made a baby with Tempest 2000.

After Burner Climax - super sweet arcade game that makes me dream of what a Dreamcast 2 would look like.

Bastion - The narration alone propels you forward through the game. Its game play gets a little monotonous but the choice you make at the end is thought provoking.

Age of Booty - Pirate swashbuckling at its finest

Snoopy Flying Ace - It's no Crimson Skies but it's the next best thing.

Disk
Gun - It features several veteran actors, including Ron Perlman, Lance Henriksen, Kris Kristofferson, Tom Skerrit and the lead, played by Thomas Jane.. C'mon it's fun.

Halo Wars - RTS that actually plays really, really well

Rocksmith - actually learn how to play songs on that real guitar that's gathered dust for years...or not

Child of Eden - it's no Rez but it's still freaking awesome

Alan Wake - It's different but in a good way

Civilization Revolution - there aren't many games I've gotten 1000/1000 points on, but this one is fantastic

Overload - RTS with funny demons and wry British wit. I enjoyed this one a good deal.

Crackdown - the plot is dumb but catching orbs that allow you to jump higher to collect more orbs is incredibly addicting.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 6th, 2016, 1:01 pm

ActRaiser wrote:
After Burner Climax - super sweet arcade game that makes me dream of what a Dreamcast 2 would look like.

Ah man, I only recently played After Burner II as a 3d classic on 3ds so I never noticed this game before. And now it's delisted! It was removed from both xbox live and the playstation store in December 2014 due to licensing issues. Looks like I won't be getting my hands on this one anytime soon.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » April 8th, 2016, 2:10 pm

I'm with ya esauce. After reading Dave's review I was salivating to play ABC. De-listed. Why?!

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 9th, 2016, 10:17 am

matmico399 wrote:I'm with ya esauce. After reading Dave's review I was salivating to play ABC. De-listed. Why?!

It's a licensing thing; that's always what it is. What gets me is in this age of patching games, would it not be more profitable for them to just update the game to reskin the vehicles so there's no licensing problems, that way people could continue buying it? I haven't played the game so I don't know how heavy the licensing is, but it seems to me like a game like this it wouldn't be that hard. It seems like it's not like it's Ninja Turtles where updating it to get rid of the license would require making a new game. But again, I haven't played it so maybe I'm wrong.

Return to “Modern Gaming”