pirates and snow

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
matmico399

Re: eShop Pricing Makes No Sense

Postby matmico399 » April 8th, 2016, 2:04 pm

That is nuts. So glad I don't have any Nintendo consoles past the GameCube. The XBox store has some nice deals from time to time. I think Nintendo just is that arrogant. Sale? What a joke.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 9th, 2016, 10:37 am

Yeah I saw that sale posted and agree it's a joke. Usually when Sony or Microsoft have a spring sale there are at least a couple dirt cheap items that i bite on, but this Nintendo sale has nothing. The only retail Nintendo digital games I have are ones they gave to me for free, and Wind Waker which I was drunk and feeling nostalgic (do not drink and online shop!).

But typically, digital game prices are terrible across the board. Nintendo's look worse but it's mostly because they don't lower the retail price on their games so the physical price is usually ridiculous too.

I was looking at digital PSP games a couple months ago on my PSP. Yes, I know that's ridiculous but I was curious (the system is so old I had to change the security settings on my router and I think they have since closed the store on PSP). Some of them were marked down but certainly not enough and others were still 20 or 30 dollars, even 40. Why?!!! I know some of them are playable on Vita but plenty were not and they're still 10 year old games. I can't believe that Sony didn't just make all their digital PSP games $5 . I can walk into a vintage game store and buy them for $2 each because they're practically considered garbage to those stores at this point.

With Xbox One sometimes they'll have a sale which brings the price below what I'd get the game for new, but most of the time a game will go on sale and I'll check Amazon (as you did) and see that the sale price on Xbox Live is higher. With the Xbox I feel like the system is probably timed to explode when they disconnect it from the internet anyway so I'm not really as concerned over physical or digital (either one has to install to the hard drive anyway and probably needs a day one update to function), but if I'm choosing between the two at the same price I'm still going physical every time.

It's crazy to me that developers still release digital games at the same price point as retail games. They save money, and we receive a copy of a game that is inherently less valuable and they still charge the same amount. At worst I think the digital version of a $60 game should release at $50. Although at that price I still would never bite because I have amazon prime and best buy gamers club which both offer 20% off new games, so I always can have a physical new release game for less than a digital copy.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 9th, 2016, 11:21 am

Physical retailers and hardware companies are partners. Nintendo could sell digitally for less, but as long as they still get a large percentage of their hardware and software sales through those physical partners, then there is a risk that if they undercut them with lower digital download prices for short term gain, they would undermine that relationship.

The situation will be coming to a head though. Nintendo may want strong retailer partnerships with a new hardware console on the way, but it must be clear that the 9th generation may be all digital download.

SilveryFire

Postby SilveryFire » April 9th, 2016, 5:16 pm

Nintendo is the only company of the three that deadlocks your downloads to ONE system. And ONE system only. Unacceptable. How they're getting away with it, baffles me.

Lose your system or gets stolen? Sorry. You're at the mercy of the almighty overlord Nintendo. Are people that horny for Mario and Zelda? Good lord. They ignore their diehard fans, treat em like kids, and still people love em. They can do no wrong. I guess people think they are still children and love being parented by the small "N".

Tides are starting to turn. Change needs to happen. They need to realize plastic figurines and history won't keep them afloat forever.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » April 9th, 2016, 9:38 pm

I haven't been interested in Nintendo in years outside of their classic consoles. Just don't support them anymore!

Tron

Postby Tron » April 9th, 2016, 9:40 pm

scotland wrote:Physical retailers and hardware companies are partners. Nintendo could sell digitally for less, but as long as they still get a large percentage of their hardware and software sales through those physical partners, then there is a risk that if they undercut them with lower digital download prices for short term gain, they would undermine that relationship.

The situation will be coming to a head though. Nintendo may want strong retailer partnerships with a new hardware console on the way, but it must be clear that the 9th generation may be all digital download.

Good point, that's the only logical explanation. Hopefully The big 3 still need retailers for awhile. Furthermore let's hope the retailers have enough influence to keep them in line.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 9th, 2016, 11:08 pm

Tron wrote:
scotland wrote:Physical retailers and hardware companies are partners. Nintendo could sell digitally for less, but as long as they still get a large percentage of their hardware and software sales through those physical partners, then there is a risk that if they undercut them with lower digital download prices for short term gain, they would undermine that relationship.

Good point, that's the only logical explanation. Hopefully The big 3 still need retailers for awhile. Furthermore let's hope the retailers have enough influence to keep them in line.

Yeah, that is a very good point. Nintendo's new My Nintendo rewards system only rewards digital purchases and not retail (as Club Nintendo did), so it seems like companies might be starting to look for ways to encourage digital purchases without hurting their retail relationships by underselling physical copies.

SilveryFire

Postby SilveryFire » April 9th, 2016, 11:31 pm

ESauce wrote:
Tron wrote:

Yeah, that is a very good point. Nintendo's new My Nintendo rewards system only rewards digital purchases and not retail (as Club Nintendo did), so it seems like companies might be starting to look for ways to encourage digital purchases without hurting their retail relationships by underselling physical copies.

That makes no sense. Trying to sell your own games but not get in the way of selling your own games? Retailers ain't movin Nintendo product right now unless it's some rare figurine. So they're probably already pissed with the clutter buildup. I seen about 10 Zelda new 3DS systems at Gameslop. Wasn't that thing highly scalped and priced last year? The brand is quickly turning to mud.

It's 2016. Times is hard, people will shop around for the best value. Not all of us are living plush in suburban neighborhoods with white picket fences. Paying more for something that doesn't exist vs something that I can physically touch is just weird.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 10th, 2016, 10:22 am

Silveryfire it makes perfect sense and I think scotland explained it pretty well. No one was agreeing with the practice, just saying why it happens; there's no reason to be so confrontational. Now if you'll excuse me I have a picket fence that needs painting.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » April 10th, 2016, 4:13 pm

Silvery what do you have, a Wii or Wiiu? My advice trade that sucker in for a used 360. They are going for just a little over a hundred now. And a good majority of their best games are $10 and under. My money is fairly tight as well. But I have had the best time in years in the last 3-4 months getting a ton of great games cheap. This is the time to grab them while they are cheap. Your frustrations are on the cost of Nintendo products. The 360 is a great value and will provide you with years of gaming fun. As soon as The Masters is over (the only golf event I watch for the last two hours on Sunday) I'm going to drink beer and game till about midnight. So many great games!

Return to “Modern Gaming”