New Golf Games?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New Golf Games?

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 9th, 2016, 8:57 am

With the Masters tournament on TV, I was reminded this is usually the time of year when I buy a new golf game. I'm always excited to buy one in the Spring (and usually disappointed).

So, are there any? Is EA releasing one at least?

Tron

Re: New Golf Games?

Postby Tron » April 9th, 2016, 9:46 pm

I'm with you. I have the Golf club on PS4. It's good, but the putting is brutal. I wish it had the 3-click swing. I'm itching to get Rory Mcilroy. Reviews and content sounds slim so I'm waiting for it to go down in price. GameStop has it for $35. If just one person on these forums recommend it at $35 I'll go get it.

TimPossible

Postby TimPossible » April 12th, 2016, 5:04 pm

The Golf Club is 10x better than Rory McIlroy PGA. TGC's putting is more real that Rory is. You actually have to bring the putter back like you would in real life and putt. In Rory just get it lined up and the putter head goes back and forth the same distance if it's 2 feet or and 80 foot putt.

Rory was on sale for $13 in a flash sale on the PS4 about a month ago. TGC has a full course creator and it is pushing 100k courses. There are some real course creations in TGC including Augusta National, Chambers Bay, Congressional just to name a few

There will not be another EA sports golf game this year. When Rory came out EA announced that the PGA series will no longer be a yearly title. There may be another in 2017 but don't hold your breath. TGC2 may be out at some point later this year or 2017 for sure.

Anybody who has TGC or is going to get it make sure to check out tgctours.com. This website mimics the real life PGA/Euro/Web Tours. You play Q-school and based on how well you do you will be placed in the appropriate league.

In my opinion The Golf Club is the best golf game ever made and I have been playing video games for over 30 years.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » April 12th, 2016, 6:18 pm

I just don't care for most golf games in general after the Genesis. To me PGA Championship 2 is the best. Although I never played 3 which I see the VGC gave a higher rating. I tried playing someon my PS2 and 360, but for some reason did not enjoy them at all.

And current and last gen console sports games in general just don't feel very satisfying. To much going on I think and too many stupid options plus all the downloading garbage. When it comes to sports games in general, I think the sports games hit their zenith on the Ps2 and that gen.

Tron

Postby Tron » April 15th, 2016, 8:16 am

Like I said I liked the Golf Club, but the putting was too brutal. What's the difference in pulling the putter back for a 10 foot putt versus a 20 footer? The difference is minuscule, yet don't do it right and you come up short or too long. Sure I suppose if I practiced enough I'd get it, but the difficulty balance on the game as a whole is whacked. I can tee off and get 18 out of 18 fairway regulations no problem. Driving is too easy so why is putting so hard? My approach shots are somewhere in the middle. I can get the ball within 20 feet of the pin pretty consistently, but it's not often that I get too many within 5 feet. Then I putt for birdie anywhere from 20 to 10 feet only to two or three putt. I'm so awesome that I can get 280 yard drives right in the middle of the fairway every time, yet I can't get a stinking 15 foot putt half the time? That's frustrating for me.

I've also gotten to the point of the game in season mode where I have to hit -13 or so to win. When I two or three putt half the time it's impossible.

TimPossible

Postby TimPossible » April 17th, 2016, 9:26 am

Yeah Tron the difference is it takes practice. The putting is all about feel just like real putting. I have like 2000 rounds in and sit16th n the world on TGC Tours so I may be a little biased,lol.

Like I said I have played them all. Was a huge fan of The Tiger Woods games especially around 2004 but with the amount of courses to play of TGC (pushing 100,000), it's a no brainer for me. Unlimited replay value

Return to “Modern Gaming”