What do you want to see in the NX

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
scotland

What do you want to see in the NX

Postby scotland » May 4th, 2016, 1:05 pm

Is anyone excited about the NX? I am, but its tempered optimism.

Despite the NX (or whatever it will be called) probably under wraps until September, I am looking forward to it. By this time next year some people here might be playing Zelda on one. Thats a fun thought.

What do you think its going to be like, and what would you like it to be like?

I think its going to be relatively underpowered but still quite capable, and probably priced at $350 to sell at a profit. No optical drive or WiiU backwards compatibility. The mobile games we see now will have bigger better console cousins, so look for NX Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem in 2017. Lets say a conventional pro controller.

matmico399

Re: What do you want to see in the NX

Postby matmico399 » May 4th, 2016, 3:54 pm

I really can't predict Scotland. This is a real mystery to me. No optical drive?! I think Nintendo is really keeping this under wraps to build the hype. I'm pretty excited and anxious to see what it is. I just hope like crazy it's not download only as I won't get it then. I think this console will make or break them in the console industry.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » May 4th, 2016, 5:52 pm

Forgive my pessimistic predictions:

I think that the NX will follow the same path that Nintendo has blazed for some time now: a "new" control scheme that will somewhat work for them but, once again, fail to attract/lure away third-party support, leading to the expected droughts while fans wait patiently for the next game. The company, as much as I love them, always fails to learn the lessons of the modern industry, and the Wii U should be seen by them as a cautionary tale. Sometimes, it takes more than great first party IP to push a product. Based on how great Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, and many others were, you'd think that the Wii U would have been a runaway success. Innovation failed them, so they're going to combat that with more innovation, in the middle of a hardware cycle!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 4th, 2016, 6:23 pm

If their quarterly reports are any indication they've somehow managed to build their software pipeline to support both console and portable at the same time.

So...there are couple of options for that.

They've built the portable using the exact same chipset as the console...in which case that means it's most likely a "less powerful" console. Okay, that probably won't work as then we're talking about a Wii U again or at best a PS4 like system.

They've built both the console and portable using similar chipset families in order to make porting easier. Most likely the portable has a lower clock rate for heat, etc. They will probably build the 3D models with multiple scaling factors. Build it at the highest polygon count and the engine breaks it down based on system, draw distance, etc. Halo: Reach did this perfectly.

Deploy the "portable" game with each and every console game you buy. As long as we're talking a single screen (on both) with no interaction between them the console offers the same experience on the portable. The graphics scale down accordingly. As a result, there's no "portable" game you have to buy. If you buy the console version you'll get the portable game for free. This cross buy option becomes a game changer for Nintendo. Their main profit makers are the handhelds. Now, you've given folks the main incentive to buy console games at $20 more per unit. And you've spent slightly more building each game as you have to build the hi-def models instead of only the low-def models. But you've opened yourself up to more quickly building and deploying a single game.

Similarly, your retail space now doubles. Before you had to fight for store shelves with both 3DS and Wii U. Now, you only have to offer up NX games that work on both.

My hunch is, it's the same thing as a normal console without gimmicks but with better than PS4 graphics. With the capability to download/load your games onto your own handheld (that's not a clam shell / 2 screen design). Because it's more powerful than the PS4 it could operate 2 handhelds at once if and only if the games were simpler in design. The problem with the Wii U was it wasn't fast enough to run more than 2 screens at once.

Holy crap, that's a wall of text. Sorry about that.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 4th, 2016, 9:23 pm

I wish it would go back to focusing on awesome 2D platformers and arcade sports games, but with online capabilities.

Imagine Mega Man co-op! NHL '94-ish hockey game with all online players! Mario games where you can race other players to keep beat a level the fastest!

Make it download only, cheap games, cheaper system, etc. Basically on online SNES, with much improved graphics and sound.

But....that won't happen.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 4th, 2016, 10:58 pm

I really want the NX to do well and be an awesome system but I won't be jumping in line to pick this one up, especially if it is download only. I lost a lot of faith in Nintendo over the last couple of years with their poor handling of the Wii U. If Nintendo proves me wrong, I'll be really happy, otherwise I'm going to be waiting quite a while on this one.

tortimer

Postby tortimer » September 2nd, 2016, 12:12 pm

Some thought-provoking speculation here. I'm excited about it. This is the right time to begin moving past the legacy of the Wii (which shall be remembered with fondness) into a new era. That they're going back to physical cartridges (or so it's thought) is the thing that makes me hopeful. Digital only is not the best way forward for video games. Just as with books and vinyl albums there will always be a place in the human experience for the tactile pleasure of a physical media, with artwork, a nice case and a well-presented manual. Those things which are part of the experience of enjoying a game.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 2nd, 2016, 1:57 pm

Here's an interesting article and comments about the use of cartridges in the NX.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/m ... =1&start=0

What I find most interesting are the comments. One person said "what about patches and DLC" as if that's a GOOD thing! Fortunately there were a few rebuttles to set this guy straight.

I really don't like it when people use "nostalgia" as a reason to support cartridges. Sure it's a factor, but it's like making a religious argument. There are plenty more practical reasons you could use instead.

I'm starting to get pumped about the NX!

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » September 2nd, 2016, 2:16 pm

I can't say for sure that the NX using cartridges would mean no DLC and no patches since 3DS games have those, even if you aren't pestered quite as often about downloading them as you are for home consoles.

Tron

Postby Tron » September 3rd, 2016, 8:46 pm

1. New Advance Wars games
2. Portable home console hybrid. Can function as both a home console and a portable with controllers .
3. Some new adult-themed IPs. Something like Fallout New Vegas.
4. New Nintendo produced golf games. Don't license it out to Camelot, because they suck.
5. Pretend it's 1993 and that they are designing games for the SNES, but with more memory and options.

Return to “Modern Gaming”