Playstation Plus Auto Renewal Sucks

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Playstation Plus Auto Renewal Sucks

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 7th, 2016, 6:00 pm

A week or two ago I get this email from Sony about my Playstation Plus account (partial copy below). I probably will renew. What annoyed me about it is how this email is so ambiguous. If my membership runs out and the auto renewal kicks in, what if I have no money in my wallet? Am I suddenly on the hook for some renewal fee? Since I'd prefer to be in control I followed the instructions for canceling the auto-renewal. And guess what - the instructions were wrong. They told me to look in the wrong place. This is the kind of garbage that makes me hate online gaming.

Hello Valued Member,

Thank you for being a loyal member. We wanted to remind you that your PlayStation Plus membership is set to renew automatically on your next renewal date: 09/12/2016. If you hold a master account and this email is addressed to your sub account, this email is being sent to you to notify you of status of your sub account's membership.

Please make sure you have enough funds in your wallet before your next renewal date. For your convenience we also provide the option to set up automatic funding. Please read below for more information about our membership services, canceling a membership, and setting up automatic funding.

Thank You,
The PlayStation Network Team

Membership Services:

Provided that your wallet has sufficient funds, or your Automatic Funding remains set to "ON", your membership will automatically renew on the Next Renewal Date.

If you cancel your membership, cancellation will take effect at the end of the current subscription period. If your wallet does not have enough funds and Automatic Funding is set to "OFF" on the Next Renewal Date, the membership will be cancelled automatically.

ptdebate

Re: Playstation Plus Auto Renewal Sucks

Postby ptdebate » August 7th, 2016, 7:42 pm

The subscription just cancels if you don't have sufficient funds in your wallet. If you have a card on file and auto-renew is set to ON, it will charge your card for the full amount for the 12-month subscription. I recommend buying subscription cards through a third party like eBay because they're invariably cheaper.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » August 8th, 2016, 11:12 am

Why would you let Sony have your cc info after the huge PSN hack a few years ago?

I only buy account cards (same for XBL), often at significant discount.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 8th, 2016, 10:58 pm

If you would have read the last paragraph, it clearly states what happens when you don't have enough funds in your wallet...

:P

Return to “Modern Gaming”