Am I the only one who thinks that the Neo/Scorpio is a terrible idea?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

Am I the only one who thinks that the Neo/Scorpio is a terrible idea?

Postby BanjoPickles » August 23rd, 2016, 12:51 pm

It just seems to me that Sony and MS are pulling a Sega and competing with themselves by flooding the market with unnecessary hardware. Who is the Neo/Scorpio designed for? The people who already bought the XBO/PS4? Those who want the latest tech, most of whom would likely opt for a top-of-the-line PC instead?

Could somebody who may be more enlightened than I am explain this to me, because it seems extremely......stupid.

scotland

Re: Am I the only one who thinks that the Neo/Scorpio is a terrible idea?

Postby scotland » August 23rd, 2016, 2:28 pm

Several factors may be in play: mobile phones have made frequent upgrades normal, that graphics are considered so important minor differences are being highly hyped, that consoles now regularly get slim or bigger harddrive versions all the time so why not give it a spec buff anyway, the hype on Virtual Reality, the resale value of the existing console, the general acceptance of formerly very geeky stuff like tech specs.

For Sega, the price of failure in so much hardware was high, but both Sega and MS must feel they could weather a miscalculation, especially as both are taking the risk together.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » August 24th, 2016, 11:54 am

To me, it seems suspiciously like what the 32X was supposed to be, before Sega beefed it up. Originally, it was supposed to be a souped up Sega Genesis with a wider color palette. The upper brass thought that was a horrible idea, as you were offering the same exact games and little else. It's already been confirmed, if I recall, that the Neo and Scorpio will not have anything in the way of exclusive content, so this just seems like a foolish idea. Will enough people back this idea to make it a success?

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 24th, 2016, 3:40 pm

Personally Banjo I think they will be moderate successes. In the society that we live in everybody has to have the latest and greatest. Look at the IPhone market. But I think the majority of gamers are smarter than the average peep. Those who have a good bit of disposable income will go for it. Those of us with moderate incomes will pass. I personally don't see anything to get excited about though.

Steve

Postby Steve » August 24th, 2016, 8:03 pm

....Neo and Scorpio will not have anything in the way of exclusive content....

I'm not sure if this is a terrible idea but I don't believe the statement about exclusive content for one minute. I don't follow Sony as much as Microsoft so can't really speak about Neo but for Scorpio, I think the 'exclusivity' will start with better graphics, VR capability/4K support, and then something like what happened with Call of Duty Black Ops 3 - no campaign for Xbox 360, only Xbox One. I'm not necessarily against it, I just think they've set themselves up for being accused of lying. It will be interesting to see what happens at Sony's conference.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 24th, 2016, 10:59 pm

Personally I don't see any indication that these consoles will fragment the market in any way. Bigger hard drives, smaller form factor, 4K support... these don't fundamentally change the platform. And it's pretty normal for consoles to gradually downsize - just look at the three PS3 models.

Now, if frequent incremental upgrades became mandatory that would be another matter. Consoles aren't like cell phones that people toss in the garbage every year, and I don't want them to go in that direction. I can see why companies would like that though. With the advent of online gaming opened up new streams of revenue but that has its limits. Now they are seeing what they can do on the hardware end.

Sut

Postby Sut » August 25th, 2016, 4:22 am

I really don't like the idea but I think they are both aiming for the iPhone model. Incremental updates every couple of years and the older models gradually fazed out.
I'm seriously considering PC next gen, if I can make it console friendly.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 25th, 2016, 1:01 pm

We're at the point where the average consumer is fine with the polys on screen, and any graphics upgrades are just minor performance/cosmetic enhancements.

Besides.

Prices will likely come down on the base hardware, and I'm in favor of whatever allows me to afford a ticket into the current gen.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 26th, 2016, 1:32 pm

If they actually go the route of PC based specs/requirements then IMHO this becomes a moot point. You want 4K support buy the latest. You got an old TV - get the original hardware. As long as the only difference is in resolution and graphic rendering then it's A Okay by me.

Now, when they start segregating gameplay then we have an actual issue.

Metalbeard

Postby Metalbeard » September 9th, 2016, 7:25 pm

Don't like the fact that if you buy a new system for $400-$500 dollars then in three years release a new updated version of the system. Just a money grab. Might as well just get a computer. One reason I liked consoles is because didn't have to worry about upgrading. PS2 lasted 13 years without an hardware upgrade mostly cosmetic design.

Return to “Modern Gaming”