The changes in console gaming

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
scotland

The changes in console gaming

Postby scotland » September 12th, 2016, 7:45 am

The times, they are a'changing. With the launch of the PS4 Pro - a console tech upgrade and not just a new form factor - we see yet another bit of evidence that console gaming changing. I was looking at this site http://www.pcworld.com/article/3118250/software-games/9-reasons-why-pc-gaming-is-a-better-value-than-consoles.html. Obviously, its PCworld, but its upfront on its PC bias, but let's look at the points anyway:

The big point from the article (not my view, necessarily) is that if consoles are going down a PC upgrade like path, where your console is only top of the line for a short period of time, why not just be a PC gamer? You probably own a PC anyway. PCs have come down a lot in price. Its cheaper to upgrade a PC since you don't really upgrade a console, you replace a console (although many non-collectors probably monetize their old console bu selling it though). Many games that are exclusive to one console or the other are on PC. Many games that are on PC are not on consoles. PC gaming has excellent backwards compatibility - including sites like GoG and applications like DOSBox and all the emulators. PC game prices often fall fast and stay low. You can choose mouse and keyboard to play games, or a controller if you want to.

Meanwhile, we are also seeing the decline in local multiplayer in consoles. Where once you put in a disc and played a game, now you have to go through an install, pluse patches and updates and worry about hard drive space. For collectors, there is the decline of physical media. Where the Xbox360 was a top line console for how long - a decade - now a console's lifespan being degraded by the manufacturer by releasing more advanced sister units. Your launch PS4 was a top line console for how long - a few years?

Consoles change is not inherently bad, neither is it inherently good. The hardware companies are for profit companies, and they are going to do what makes their stockholders happy and ensure the long term viability of their marketshare. Whatever they do however, like Apple ditching the headphone jack, the hardware companies will always spin it to sound like its a good thing for consumers. So, we need to think about these changes are on our own.

So, how are these changes in console gaming sitting with you? (Its like in polls where they ask if the country is on the right path or the wrong path, but with consoles)

CharlieR

Re: The changes in console gaming

Postby CharlieR » September 12th, 2016, 12:36 pm

I don't own either the ps4 or xbox one, so don't take my word for it, but these upgrades seem a little unnecessary. I'm just wondering how good can it possibly get? I also think sony and microsoft might risk alienating their customers. It won't matter to the people who always pay up for the latest and greatest stuff, but what about the people who feel cheated because they just paid $400 for a top of the line console a year ago? I know I would much rather play a console. I have nothing against PC gamers, I'd just rather play on a console.

I guess I'm more of a casual, old-school, turn on a game and start playing in a few minutes kinda guy. I'm a little turned off by these big consoles with huge movies playing before you start. I downloaded the demo for destiny (not a fan of FPS, just wanted to check it out) and an opening movie played that you couldn't skip. It was impressive, but not the main focus, which is the game. I feel like a lot of games are like that nowadays.

About the iphone 7 ditching the headphone jack; that's all well and good that we can use wireless earbuds, but why don't we at least have a headphone jack, so we can at least use our wired headphones? Maybe people are afraid they will fall out, they'll lose them, or maybe it just feels weird using them. Don't give me a new feature and require us to use it. I bought a game called defiance for ps3 (based on the SyFy show) and it was online only. That's fine, but maybe I want to play offline. Same kinda thing with Splatoon; it would be so fun to play that turf war offline. Just sit down and play and not have to wait for slow internet.

So, call me old-fashioned, but I prefer a console to be about games and not cinematics, internet, and super ultra realistic graphics. A super Nintendo or n64 is fine with me.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » September 12th, 2016, 2:40 pm

MLB: The Show, Mario, Zelda, Metroid. Madden. Otherwise, yes, I'd be a PC gamer.

Sut

Postby Sut » September 13th, 2016, 3:23 pm

If I can get a PC running like a console under my TV, then I would be very tempted to go PC next gen.

Return to “Modern Gaming”