Critic - buy Resident Evil 4 on PS4!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JWK

Critic - buy Resident Evil 4 on PS4!

Postby JWK » September 12th, 2016, 12:44 pm

Just a PSA to the VGC and others that loved the original RE4 on GameCube. This version is FANTASTIC.

Yes, you may have "port fatigue" with Resident Evil 4 showing up on PS2, Wii, PS3, 360 and even mobile phones, but I'm telling you, this is the version to own. The PS3/360 was previously the best version of the game but it showed horrible Low-res backgrounds and textures and only ran at 720p and 30fps. The newest version on PS4/XB1 has cleaned up textures, and runs at a locked 60fps and is 1080p resolution. It looks beautiful and plays just as well. There are some options for controls, too. I chose the one that was closest to the GCN original, but other options are there.

For those who play on PC, this is basically the "Ultra HD" version that came out a couple years ago. But for consoles, this is the definitive edition of one of the greatest games of all time. Oh, yeah. And it has a PHYSICAL RELEASE.

Atariboy

Re: Critic - buy Resident Evil 4 on PS4!

Postby Atariboy » September 12th, 2016, 11:28 pm

Alas, while a fine way to experience this game, these HD ports still aren't perfect and I'd hesitate to use the word definitive to describe them.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... d-face-off

The Wii version in particular still has a lot going for it despite not displaying in HD (And running at a capped 30 fps unlike the PS4/XB1's 60).

It has excellent motion controls that many fans preferred (And optional GameCube controller support), true 16:9 widescreen unlike on the GCN original, the original textures that quite a few fans prefer over the HD remakes that often aren't particularly true to the source material (There's an ambitious homebrew project to fix the 2014 PC HD release with fan made HD textures for just that reason), and no missing graphical effects from the GCN original.

For instance, the environmental light effect when you fire a weapon in a dark area and have the flash of your weapon cast light near you isn't present in these HD versions. All versions of RE4 outside of the GCN/Wii have several absent lighting/transparency/particle effects, which negatively affect various things such as the appearance of water.
Last edited by Atariboy on September 14th, 2016, 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JWK

Postby JWK » September 13th, 2016, 10:41 pm

Yeah. Of the noted issues in the modern HD versions of RE4, the only one that would matter is the original textures in the backgrounds. The textures for the characters and most of the environments are vastly superior in the remaster. But yeah, Capcom loves to cut corners so it's not as great as it could be.

But the most important thing for me personally is the framerate boost. That, along with other various improvements, make this the definitive version. I own and have played the GCN and Wii versions and I love them. They're the versions that landed this game in my top 10 all-time. But I love this one just a bit more.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 14th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Just me personally, graphics alone don't do it for me. If it's a major upgrade like Re1 from the PS1 to the GameCube I am interested. But upgrading from RE4 from the PS2 to the PS4 just because the frame rate is better? Who cares? To me it doesn't in any way change the fun factor. FPS IMHO is just a way to try to make more cash off a game that has been rehashed so many times. But it is my fave game of all time. Everyone seems so obsessed with game graphics it's crazy.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 15th, 2016, 10:04 pm

I don't mind a steady 30 fps. But when given the chance to experience 60 fps in a game that previously ran at a lower fame rate, it is a nice boost.

If you download the excellent 3D Classics conversion of Outrun for the 3DS, it runs at 60 which is twice what it did in the arcades originally in 1986. You eventually unlock a 30 fps original option as you play the game and reach each of the 5 goals, which actually is quite jarring when enabled despite feeling entirely satisfactory in the past.

You'd never switch it back to 30 again in the options after trying it once. So I'd hesitate to underestimate a boost such as this, although I haven't personally tried any of these HD ports of RE4. A consistent 60 fps is much more than just marketing fluff.

JWK

Postby JWK » November 6th, 2016, 8:25 pm

I just saw this thread again and noticed matmico's response. I'm not suggesting this is a RE1 ps1 to GameCube type remake. I'm stating it's the definitive edition of the game on consoles. Nothing more nothing less. If you're not interested in that it's fine.

And I'm not sure where you are getting that framerate has something to do with graphics but perhaps you're unaware what framerate is. Framerate doesn't affect art assets or graphics in any way. It has nothing to do with how a game looks. It has to do with performance; how a game plays. Suggesting that a smoother performance doesn't make a game more enjoyable seems pretty ignorant. Of course it does. Perhaps you should see the game in action before you state that doubling the framerate makes no difference. It's the biggest reason that this is the superior version of the game.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 7th, 2016, 12:03 pm

I got it on the cube and the 360. That is it for me as it was not one of the better REs in my book. Yeah loads better than 5 and 6 but I thought they went down a side road when they started these games.

Return to “Modern Gaming”