Gaming rumors that do/have annoyed you

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

Gaming rumors that do/have annoyed you

Postby BanjoPickles » September 28th, 2016, 10:58 am

Okay, like so many people I am very curious about codename NX (which, I believe, will end up being officially named the Nintendo Go). However, there is one rumor, that started just a few days ago, that listed the price at $450-500. For whatever reason, this rumor made me shake my head because it's ignorant to the point of being non-newsworthy. Despite all of their poor decisions, I'm sure that they know that for them to release a system at that price would be absolute suicide. Besides, anybody who has any knowledge of their history knows that they would never release something that is unaffordable for the mass market.

Anyway, have there ever been specific rumors that actually annoyed you, mainly because said rumor had absolutely no chance of being right?

ActRaiser

Re: Gaming rumors that do/have annoyed you

Postby ActRaiser » September 28th, 2016, 1:51 pm

I will say the hype machine Sony laid out for the PS2 was flat out annoying. Its emotion engine would be powerful enough to bend space and time, etc.

The PS2 hype /rumors of its processing powers ultimately added additional fuel to the fire for an early death of the Dreamcast.

Another one that annoyed me was Killzone's gameplay "footage". If I recall correctly Sony won E3 with that "footage" only to find out later it was all pre-rendered.

// not really sure that's considered a rumor but wanted to drop it somewhere. :)

tortimer

Postby tortimer » September 29th, 2016, 1:32 pm

When older kids used to talk about how they heard Dragon's Lair (arcade game) was coming to home systems and I kept waiting and waiting for this to happen but then it never did. I was young at the time and didn't calculate that it might be technically improbable that something like Dragon's Lair could run on an Atari 2600 or Commodore 64, but surely an Amiga right?

It would have been my only hope of ever actually playing it since .50 or sometimes .75 for one go and I would inevitably game over by the third screen

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » September 29th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Pretty much every rumor about the aforementioned NX, mostly because they're all we're seeing about the system in lieu of actual information.

jon

Postby jon » September 29th, 2016, 11:06 pm

To me it's the hype around the "Ultra 64". It was supposed to come out in 1995 I think, and it was on the cover of all the magazines, they were selling like hotcakes. And, well, it got delayed forever. They were saying all the amazing things about it and looking back on it I can't say it lived up to the hype. On the plus side, it was fun those days, with all the excitement around video games in general. The "Ultra 64" didn't deliver though.

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » September 30th, 2016, 10:06 am

EGM used to print a lot of stuff which was vaporware at best and rumors at worst. I was reading them as a teenager and spent a long time watching for some of the crap they reported, such as:

-NES ports of Super Mario World, Mortal Kombat and Madden Football.
-Gameboy Color port of The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Didn't help they used to run ads from damn near anyone with enough cash in their 400 page issues from the 1990's. All the fly by night people that advertised in there used to promise games, accessories, catalogs, etc. that they could never deliver on.

The other rumor that used to annoy me was the paperback book How to Win at Nintendo Games 4 printing rumors about other minus worlds (such as a Chocolate Factory) in SMB1. :roll:

brendand

Postby brendand » September 30th, 2016, 11:40 am

The annoying hype that PS3 was said to be 1000 times more powerful then the PS2 how to sell console preorders hype up its specs and show prerendered Killzone footage :lol:

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 30th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Early 80's video game mags were full of vaporware or products that never saw the light of day, such as the INTV III and INTV IV, the Colecovision Super Games Module, Odyssey 3, a 2600 Keyboard, and a laserdisc add-on for the CV.

However, I didn't really find this reporting annoying, but rather fascinating, like "Oh man, what if....."

Back in the early 80's, it seemed the sky was the limit in terms of technology, and even today I enjoy reading those old mags just for the positive energy they brought to the future of gaming.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 30th, 2016, 5:29 pm

When I look at my Google News there's always an article or two about the "latest NX Specs and release date" but it's always just the same old rumors and speculation that have been tossed around the last three months or so. Click bait is what it is. The internet sucks (except for this site).

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 30th, 2016, 5:35 pm

A laser disc add on for The Colecovision? Never heard that one. That would only have added $10,000 to the price at that time. I can see why it was scrapped. Tortoise that is a funny story about Dragons Lair. I can only imagine what a 2600 version would have looked like, needless to say not good. Lol.

Return to “Modern Gaming”