Gaming rumors that do/have annoyed you

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
tortimer

Re: Gaming rumors that do/have annoyed you

Postby tortimer » September 30th, 2016, 8:47 pm

matmico399 wrote:A laser disc add on for The Colecovision? Never heard that one. That would only have added $10,000 to the price at that time. I can see why it was scrapped. Tortimer that is a funny story about Dragons Lair. I can only imagine what a 2600 version would have looked like, needless to say not good. Lol.

I never had access to a computer in those days and used to look at lots of magazines and box art (inside the local computer store). In my mind, probably seeing screenshots of graphical adventures for Amiga and Atari ST, I must have been imagining that somehow it must be possible. After all, computers were so awesome! (and I was just a kid). I'm sure there was a moment some years down the road where I said to myself, "Huh, I think those guys were pulling my leg."

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 30th, 2016, 8:58 pm

matmico399 wrote:A laser disc add on for The Colecovision? Never heard that one.

I should clarify this one. I believe it was Video Games magazine that stated back in 1983 that CV was in talks with Cinemetronics to license Dragon's Lair. The writer speculated that perhaps a CV laser-disc add-on might come as a result. It blew my mind at the time.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » October 2nd, 2016, 1:03 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:When I look at my Google News there's always an article or two about the "latest NX Specs and release date" but it's always just the same old rumors and speculation that have been tossed around the last three months or so. Click bait is what it is. The internet sucks (except for this site).

The NX thing is killing me, and those lousy click bait articles aren't helping! Also, would somebody please put a muzzle on the CEO of Ubi Soft?? It's awesome that he thinks so highly of it, but----it's just making the wait that much more painful!

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » October 2nd, 2016, 9:48 am

Gleebergloben123 wrote:Early 80's video game mags were full of vaporware or products that never saw the light of day, such as the INTV III and INTV IV, the Colecovision Super Games Module, Odyssey 3, a 2600 Keyboard, and a laserdisc add-on for the CV.

However, I didn't really find this reporting annoying, but rather fascinating, like "Oh man, what if....."

Back in the early 80's, it seemed the sky was the limit in terms of technology, and even today I enjoy reading those old mags just for the positive energy they brought to the future of gaming.

Loved reading those magazines, too. Atari, Coleco and Mattel/INTV were all notorious for years worth of gaming mag ads or mail order catalogs with the phrase "COMING SOON.....!" for some piece of vaporware. :lol:

scotland

Postby scotland » October 2nd, 2016, 9:12 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:Early 80's video game mags were full of vaporware or products that never saw the light of day...However, I didn't really find this reporting annoying, but rather fascinating, like "Oh man, what if....." Back in the early 80's, it seemed the sky was the limit in terms of technology, and even today I enjoy reading those old mags just for the positive energy they brought to the future of gaming.

Oh yeah, those were the heady days of anything was possible. We were seriously thinking smart homes were just around the corner. I read those mags, ads and all, cover to cover. Those weren't false promises, they were hopes and dreams that were just out of reach.

There is a distinction between rumor and hype though. If a company talks about its own product, it hype. If anyone else does it, its rumor. Nintendo, playing close to the vest, incites rumors. The internet abhors a vacuum.

Some rumors: Mini Nes controller cord is only about 3 feet long, so you will have to have an HDMI cord across your floor and play 2nd gen style with you and the console on the floor. The original Nes cords are much longer, but if you have ever bought a generic replacement, many of them are really short too. For the NX, rumor is the controller will ditch the iconic d pad for a split directional pad.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 3rd, 2016, 6:54 am

The NX (at this point) is really a 50/50 gamble if you ask me. There are so many rumors and so much hype behind it that if it doesnt come out with a bang its going to be a bigger flop than No Man's Sky. With so much lack of information, ZERO marketing for it, and the fact that Nintendo is skipping Christmas, I feel like there are some internal problems at Nintendo regarding this thing. Both the 3DS and the WiiU were flops, the 3DS selling so poorly initially that they had to immediately slash prices and pump out the 2DS, and the WiiU was pretty much DOA. If Nintendo doesnt give the NX an edge in terms of functionality and makes it hard to develop for like they always do, you can pretty much kiss it goodbye right out of the gates.

As for rumors, man I must have spent double digit hours looking up Golden Eye rumors back in the day. From finding secret areas, to secret weapons, I used to have a HUGE 3-ring binder of pages I printed out and organized regarding this game. (I WISH I STILL HAD THAT!!!) I remember there was the rumor that you could access a hidden cafeteria through the air ducts in the Facility Level. In this area you would find all the oddball characters that are listed in the credit but never seen in the game. There was also the rumor of the "Railgun" which could be seen on the back of the box. Turned out to just be pictures from the Beta build of the game.

Good times.

Tron

Postby Tron » October 3rd, 2016, 10:54 pm

My dad got a brochure in the mail from Turbo Technologies years back. In the brochure it had advertisements for World Class Baseball II and a couple of other cool games. I was so excited cause the TurboGrafx was already dying hard by then. I waited and waited, but the games never came out. I think it even had screen shots in the brochure so I really believed they were coming.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » October 19th, 2016, 10:33 am

Okay, I think that I'm writing this more out of frustration than anything else. The latest rumors that are annoying me, to no end, are the constant "Nintendo set to unveil the NX this week.....wait, no. NEXT week!"

This is one of those strange situations where I'm annoyed at all parties. I'm annoyed with the gaming media for fueling these stories, but I'm also getting irritated with Nintendo themselves. Granted, they know a heck of a lot more about the cogs of the industry than I do, but this secrecy is getting old! It's not like they have a substantial number of AAA games coming to their existing hardware. The Wii U has, I believe, one big title left (LoZ), while the 3DS has the upcoming Pokemons, Dragon Quest VIII, and....a few Wii U ports?

I was talking about this with a friend, a couple of days ago, and we both reached the consensus that Nintendo is basically a dead company, at the moment. They have two huge games on the immediate horizon, and then you can expect to wait at least half of a year until the next big game, which isn't even a guarantee! I understand that they're not in direct competition with MS and Sony, but at least those companies have shown their hand and have given their respective fanbases reason to believe that their investment is secure.

What do you guys think? I'm sorry for the rant. It's just that, as time goes on, their strategy doesn't seem like much of a strategy at all.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » October 19th, 2016, 11:00 am

I think they don't want to reveal anything specific yet because they probably don't have a finished product. I have no idea. I haven't even played my wii u or 3ds in months, or been excited about anything Nintendo recently. They have had miitomo, a mobile game that I was sort of interested in, mainly as a way to get prizes, like club Nintendo. Nintendo could certainly use that to create buzz, but the prizes suck so far.

I doubt this is true, but maybe Nintendo knows that they have a huge following, and think they can rest on the laurels of Pokémon go, sun, and moon, a new Zelda game, and new 3ds xl limited editions (galaxy style.) Just a thought. It could also be that there is so much hope from fans about the new system, that they don't want to disappoint.

Yeah, I am beginning to wonder what is going on. They've had underwhelming e3's, and no recent Nintendo directs I can think of. I heard September, but there was no news then. I'm now reading Friday, October 21st, which is a day before my birthday, so that would be nice.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » October 19th, 2016, 11:04 am

BanjoPickles wrote:Okay, I think that I'm writing this more out of frustration than anything else. The latest rumors that are annoying me, to no end, are the constant "Nintendo set to unveil the NX this week.....wait, no. NEXT week!"

This is one of those strange situations where I'm annoyed at all parties. I'm annoyed with the gaming media for fueling these stories, but I'm also getting irritated with Nintendo themselves. Granted, they know a heck of a lot more about the cogs of the industry than I do, but this secrecy is getting old! It's not like they have a substantial number of AAA games coming to their existing hardware. The Wii U has, I believe, one big title left (LoZ), while the 3DS has the upcoming Pokemons, Dragon Quest VIII, and....a few Wii U ports?

I was talking about this with a friend, a couple of days ago, and we both reached the consensus that Nintendo is basically a dead company, at the moment. They have two huge games on the immediate horizon, and then you can expect to wait at least half of a year until the next big game, which isn't even a guarantee! I understand that they're not in direct competition with MS and Sony, but at least those companies have shown their hand and have given their respective fanbases reason to believe that their investment is secure.

What do you guys think? I'm sorry for the rant. It's just that, as time goes on, their strategy doesn't seem like much of a strategy at all.

Their strategy is brilliant! This is arguably the most anticipated console in Nintendo's history, and they've said nothing except the release date. People are going crazy with rumours and the hype is over the top, all over a console where Nintendo has said NOTHING about. Just take a peek at Neogaf, people are going bonkers over there. Their strategy is perfect, the anticipation is through the roof and they havent' done a thing.

Think about it: After the Wii U (their worst console in terms of sales), how do you get people excited about their next console? Why would people be excited? Well, you say "we are coming out with a revolutionary new console, a brand new way to play games, etc". Then you have leaked rumours slowly coming out that peaks people's curiosity, and boom, gamers are salivating about this thing.

In my opinion, Nintendo is handling this perfectly. People are excited about what they're going to come out with.

Return to “Modern Gaming”