VR and Console Stagnation

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

VR and Console Stagnation

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 30th, 2016, 5:36 pm

I think one of the main reasons console manufacturers are pushing VR (Virtual Reality) is because the current crop of console really have not had anything new to offer!

Thing about it. The PS3/Xbox introduced wireless controllers (a pretty big deal) and HD graphics (a really big deal). And also a rich online ecosystem. The Wii U basically falls into this category.

What has the PS4 and Xbox One given us? Slightly better graphics and mandatory installs? If anything, this generation has been a huge step back. Frankly I'm surprised these consoles have sold so well.

Clearly graphics have passed the point of diminishing return. Maybe VR is what consoles need to keep things fresh. I guess we'll see soon.

Sonicx9

Re: VR and Console Stagnation

Postby Sonicx9 » October 1st, 2016, 9:55 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think one of the main reasons console manufacturers are pushing VR (Virtual Reality) is because the current crop of console really have not had anything new to offer!

Thing about it. The PS3/Xbox introduced wireless controllers (a pretty big deal) and HD graphics (a really big deal). And also a rich online ecosystem. The Wii U basically falls into this category.

What has the PS4 and Xbox One given us? Slightly better graphics and mandatory installs? If anything, this generation has been a huge step back. Frankly I'm surprised these consoles have sold so well.

Clearly graphics have passed the point of diminishing return. Maybe VR is what consoles need to keep things fresh. I guess we'll see soon.

I agree 100%, this generation is one of the smallest leaps ever in graphics/gameplay.

I have learned that once we reached native 720P for both Xbox 360/PS3, the law of diminishing return has been hit, and it is not going to improve that much more now!

But it is also not helped that both PS4/Xbox One are dated on arrival with hardware from late 2010, not late 2013. And the Wii U can do more then the best of PS3/Xbox 360 in the right hands, in the end can only do it marginally better, and was behind as well notably more so.

It is not helped that in most of the early years of the gen, we had many of the multiplatform games on weaker hardware (PS3/Xbox 360/3DS/PS Vita) alongside the main 8th gen consoles so that also hurt the potential leap in quality.

And even when companies made games for 8th gen only, companies were still having trouble hitting native 1080P/60FPS without compromises most of the time. And the leap was still not night and day.

This is why they are trying upgraded consoles/VR/NX for Nintendo to give hope for a proper leap for console gaming, but will see how well it would work?

scotland

Postby scotland » October 1st, 2016, 2:52 pm

Televisions are in the same boat. Remember a few years ago when George Takei was pushing more vibrant color, then mood enhancing side lights, and now its 4k...a resolution boost that I have read will have little or any improvement at common viewing distance.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » October 1st, 2016, 3:39 pm

scotland wrote: and now its 4k...a resolution boost that I have read will have little or any improvement at common viewing distance.

But if I have to read one more tech fetishist write something gross like how "silky smooth" those "sweet 4K resomulutions" are, I'm going to throw up. Seriously, the write ups are bad enough, but the videogame podcasts I have always listened to are getting downright un-listenable. If one more thing is either "silky smooth" or "smooth as butter" on 4K or whatever, I'm going to write Oxford and ask that "smooth" be removed from the dictionary, because it is no longer useful.

It is clearly cognitive dissonance. The less useful these features are, the more highly they are touted. "Oh man, you gots to see this new 4K sports channel! Not only can I see individual blades of grass on the field, like i could with HD, but now, when they zoom way in, I can see each strand of fibre that makes up the blade! This is soooooo worth the money! I don't know how I ever met my simultaneous need for baseball and microbiology at the same time before!"

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » October 1st, 2016, 5:46 pm

This generation's consoles being generally unimpressive seem like a classic case of diminishing returns. Example: compare a PS1 game to a PS2 game, a PS2 game to a PS3 game, and a PS3 game to a PS4 game.

I'm just hoping the NX (whatever it turns out to be) will be innovative enough to shake things up. Nintendo's made their fair share of mistakes, but they're also fairly good at gaining an unexpected second wind.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 1st, 2016, 8:18 pm

Hence why I have not bought an 8th gen system. I actually did but returned it. No major upgrade with aggravating downloads. The 360 to me is still the best modern gaming console. A PS3 might change my mind.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 4th, 2016, 7:43 pm

Apart from the always online thing I like my xbone.
Oh Ass Creed Syndicate was fantastic. The best game this gen. Though I might say that coz I live In London.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 4th, 2016, 10:30 pm

Has anyone tried VR yet?

I tried Sony's a few weeks ago at a Best Buy offering demos. The resolution wasn't all that great but as a whole it was pretty freaking awesome. With a baby that's somehow figured out how to crawl, there's no way I'm getting one of those things. I can barely keep up with her as it is much less locking my head in another world entirely.

Ahh, to be young with tons of time on my hands. Good times.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 5th, 2016, 6:17 am

Consoles have always been about a gimmick. Each generation offered something that wasnt available elsewhere, or a major improvement to gameplay. I remember being blown away that I could get a PS3 for half the price of a normal Blu-Ray player at the time, and I still use it as my DVD/Blu-Ray player as well as netflix and youtube viewer.

These things have pretty much just morphed in to computers, which have been doing what the consoles have been doing (and better at that) for quite a while now. I mean, my budget laptop will hook up to my TV via HDMI allowing me to play all of my games in HD. I bought this thing 5 years ago for $300 and it will still play most of the current gen games. With my laptop I dont have to worry about backwards compatibility BS, content restrictions, and I can even play cross platform games thanks to emulators. Its just an all around better deal than what Sony and Microsoft are pushing these days.

This VR in its current state does nothing for me. Its old tech that has been around for a while that just got a revamp to make it seem new and compact. It just feels like a lazy attempt to stoke a dying market. Though I feel VR will prove to be very profitable, its in its infancy now and just wont appeal to people in its current state for the long run.

Return to “Modern Gaming”