Virtual Thoughts on Virtual Reality

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
MrLuck87

Re: Virtual Thoughts on Virtual Reality

Postby MrLuck87 » October 20th, 2016, 3:28 am

I got to play the PSVR for about 30 minutes at a friend's house the other day. I really enjoyed it but you should keep in mind I love the Virtual Boy too. If that thing didn't make me sick nothing will!

Both of us really enjoyed the shark encounter. I got to play a little bit of Rush of Blood too which was great. It's like those old lightgun games except you're in a haunted house on a rollercoaster.

I really have nothing but good things to say about the experience but I'm still worried it's not going to be supported very well. It's hard to recommend for $400-$500 when we may only get short tech demo type games.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » October 24th, 2016, 10:09 pm

I really don't see this taking off. It's an absolutely fine little fad I guess for 20 somethings with disposable income, tons of time, and no kids and maybe no spouse. For me to tell my wife "yeah honey. I'll be in the basement like when I watch football, but now I won't hear you if you shout out that one of the kids is up, won't notice them even if they come into the room, and if someone calls for me, you're going to have to come in and let me know, making an effort not to give me a heart attack because I won't even see you" seems like a recipe for divorce.

Also, you thought the Wii got a rough ride over a few broken TV screens? What happens the first time someone knocks their toddler over or punches their spouse by mistake while they're in la-la-land? What happens the first time someone goes to lean on a table that isn't there and face-plants into their flatscreen?

I have very little faith that modern society isn't able to tie us almost permanently to a screen. However, I do believe most people will not generally be able to be completely removed from the real world for the lengths of time it will take to make this worthwhile. Most people feel guilty after a binge of youtube or netflix, even with a partner. How much worse 4 hours where you come out of it realizing you missed 3 phone calls, 20 text messages, your entire house going dark because you weren't aware of when the sun went in, and your kettle having boiled dry? One or two experiences like that, and most people will likely put the thing in the back of the closet forever.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 24th, 2016, 11:22 pm

Ha!

I'm with Atarifever in that I, now, at best, get about 15-30 minutes of free time a night. With a little one there is absolutely no way in heck the wife will let me get a PSVR. (or let me re-phrase that, there's no way I'd be able to play it) I can barely keep my 8 month old safe as it is. Now, imagine completely giving up on trying to keep her from constantly trying to eat the dog's bone and instead playing Rez in VR land. Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Having said that and having tried a demo unit at Best Buy, I'd certainly buy one if I was single again. It was freaking awesome. I can only imagine at how fun the new Star Wars VR game will be. So...if you're single, or at the very least no kids give it a go. I'll be envious that's for sure.

And for the record my daughter has only managed to gnaw on the dog's bone a couple of times. I believe I've gotten it from her more often than not. :)

She's got more toys than any baby should have...and the only things she wants are the dog's ball and bone. Nuts!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 25th, 2016, 5:36 pm

To be honest that Haunted House game sounds awesome. Love to try it, but apparently all these VR games are digital. I guess they are not expecting enough people to buy these to justify games on disc.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 25th, 2016, 6:30 pm

Read an article today about the (Possibly?) first VR assault.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... layer.html

**facepalmemoji**

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 25th, 2016, 6:55 pm

Oh good gosh! It's virtual reality with characters on a screen. Something else for someone to get offended at....this is ridiculous beyond words! Yes pervs play games too.....

MrLuck87

Postby MrLuck87 » October 26th, 2016, 2:55 am

Rush of Blood is available on disc. Is that the haunted house game you're talking about?

Honestly I don't think damaging your TV is going to be an issue like it was with the Wii. Many VR games use the Dual Shock and the Move controllers have those rubber balls on the top to prevent breaking everything.

Drive Club has been my favorite VR game so far. The immersion was incredible! I enjoyed it a lot more than the standard version. The graphics were a little weak though. It kind of looked like an early PS3 game. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere to get it to cost significantly less than it's PC counterparts.

I picture this thing being kind of fun at parties too. Get the easily scared people to play the Resident Evil "Kitchen" demo and laugh your ass off! :lol:

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » November 3rd, 2016, 9:43 am

MrLuck87 wrote:Rush of Blood is available on disc. Is that the haunted house game you're talking about?

Honestly I don't think damaging your TV is going to be an issue like it was with the Wii. Many VR games use the Dual Shock and the Move controllers have those rubber balls on the top to prevent breaking everything.

Sorry, was away and just saw this.

I'm not quite sure the logic there checks out. One remote in one hand vs. a remote in each hand plus being blindfolded = more likely accidents in the former? I don't follow. Do Move controllers even have the hand straps?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 3rd, 2016, 2:54 pm

Knowing that Rush of Blood is on disc makes me want to buy it! Can't really afford the gear though.
Maybe I'll fish it out of the bargain bin if this VR thing flounders.

MrLuck87

Postby MrLuck87 » November 10th, 2016, 3:57 am

Atarifever wrote:
MrLuck87 wrote:Rush of Blood is available on disc. Is that the haunted house game you're talking about?

Sorry, was away and just saw this.

I'm not quite sure the logic there checks out. One remote in one hand vs. a remote in each hand plus being blindfolded = more likely accidents in the former? I don't follow. Do Move controllers even have the hand straps?

My logic is that 2006 seemed like the only year where people were really breaking their TV's and it was due to Wii bowling. After Nintendo sent out those remote cases for free the problem never really came back. This includes the Move, Kinect, and I still haven't heard anything about VR damage.

This is probably due to a few reasons. For one pretty much all of the motion controller games I've played don't require a ton of movement. You can play games like Rush of Blood and Drive Club sitting in your chair. You can walk around during some games, like the shark experience, but you're likely to clear out an area around you before putting a headset on. The headset also stopped working when I walked too close to the TV due to the way the cameras are set up.

Return to “Modern Gaming”