Nintendo Switch game demo running on near final hardware reveal!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atarifever

Re: Nintendo Switch game demo running on near final hardware reveal!

Postby Atarifever » December 10th, 2016, 9:36 pm

Rookie1 wrote:
That begs the question, is it a console or a handheld?

I think its main hook is that it is a handheld. I don't think Skyrim (an older game when the Switch comes out, even using the remake version) is meant to show technical parity with the Xbone or PS4. I think it is being used to highlight the type of game you might want to use the switch for. "Imagine," they're saying "being able to play some huge, lengthy game like this on your commute, then on you lunch break, then on the commute home. You can go leveling up, questing a little, etc. during the day. Then, later at home, you'll be plugging the exact same handheld into the TV and seamlessly picking it back up for a longer play session."

Breath of the Wild also plays in this idea. I'd expect them to try for GTA 5 too if they can get it. And Red Dead. And Borderlands. I think they're looking for games where small bursts of simple play (leveling up, solving one puzzle, doing one side quest, etc.) can compliment your additional intense, focused, TV room play of the same game.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » December 12th, 2016, 10:19 am

Rookie1 wrote:
Atarifever wrote:I predicted a March 2017 release on here back when everyone still thought it would release in 2016 (I should find that post again for proof I'm a psychic, minus of course my predictions PSVR would never come out ;) ). It's been pretty obvious and doesn't take a lot to figure out. That's when modern Nintendo releases handhelds.

The February to April window has, I believe, North American releases of GBA SP, DSi, 3DS, and New 3DS.

That begs the question, is it a console or a handheld? What are they going to market it as in the long run?
I think the reveal of the 3rd part developers as well as the debut trailer showing Skyrim, it inadvertently (or maybe on purpose??) showed that it will be a competitor with sony and microsoft and is trying to pull in that demographic of gameplayers.

Then you have the information that Dark Souls devs have gotten the game to run on Switch hardware. Given the super tight-lipped NDA's people have had to sign, I have to believe that was a Nintendo sanctioned info release.

So its like they are trying to capitalize on the hard-core console gamer market. With that being said, their strategies are weird if thats the case. Especially when you had both PS4/Xbone slim & pro units dropping this season, with their fully upgraded systems coming out next.

I don't understand this question, it's both! I've seen other people ask this question, and the whole point of this system is that it's both a handheld and console. It's plays the exact same game on a portable device and on the tv.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » December 12th, 2016, 1:20 pm

bluenote wrote:
Rookie1 wrote:
Atarifever wrote:I predicted a March 2017 release on here back when everyone still thought it would release in 2016 (I should find that post again for proof I'm a psychic, minus of course my predictions PSVR would never come out ;) ). It's been pretty obvious and doesn't take a lot to figure out. That's when modern Nintendo releases handhelds.

The February to April window has, I believe, North American releases of GBA SP, DSi, 3DS, and New 3DS.

That begs the question, is it a console or a handheld? What are they going to market it as in the long run?

I don't understand this question, it's both! I've seen other people ask this question, and the whole point of this system is that it's both a handheld and console. It's plays the exact same game on a portable device and on the tv.

Well, handhelds and consoles have 2 very different type of gaming styles. I think the question is valid in determining which type of gamer they want to market towards. A game like Skyrim (shown on the trailer) isnt suitable for mobile play. Its a long, tedious game that takes many tens of hours to get anywhere. Same with something like GTA5. Long, drawn out missions and story-archs not suitable for the mobile battery life.

Now, look at the vast majority of 3DS games. Instant action on most, short bursts of gameplay with lots and lots of checkpoints.

In the long run, which market do they want to corner?

scotland

Postby scotland » December 12th, 2016, 3:10 pm

There is also a technology gap. A handheld has to contain all the hardware, so its gotta be ergonomic, not too heavy, has no hard drive, and the small space and passive cooling to deal with heat, plus limited to battery power. A console can be big and bulky and actively cooled, and can have a lighter weight controller, and a big hard drive for big games. While a handheld can connect online, it really has to function well offline. Many AAA games have strong online features.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 12th, 2016, 4:33 pm

Rookie1 wrote:
bluenote wrote:
Rookie1 wrote:

Well, handhelds and consoles have 2 very different type of gaming styles. I think the question is valid in determining which type of gamer they want to market towards. A game like Skyrim (shown on the trailer) isnt suitable for mobile play. Its a long, tedious game that takes many tens of hours to get anywhere. Same with something like GTA5. Long, drawn out missions and story-archs not suitable for the mobile battery life.

Now, look at the vast majority of 3DS games. Instant action on most, short bursts of gameplay with lots and lots of checkpoints.

Again though, I don't think the games you are listing are being marketed that way on here. I really do not think Skyrim and Breath of the Wild have been chosen randomly. I think they will try to show games where short side-quests and menu fiddling can be handled on the go and then play into things that will help you play full sessions at home. A better example for a game that makes you choose would be something like COD, where not having online and a linear campaign would make playing on the go, even with check-points, less than ideal. Look for them to get around to that later in the marketing campaign. I imagine they will try to position that as a great place to play over Wi-fi for a few matches while lying in bed before going to sleep.

They have to be very careful how they message, and I fully believe BotW and Skyrim are going to feature heavily early, but not as graphical or parity showcases. Similarly, I very much doubt they will try to show COD or Destiny on their "portability" outside the home.

After considering it a bit longer, I don't think this is being marketed as either a console or handheld. I think demonstrating it on Jimmy Fallon shows more where they're aiming when you think about it. Whether the host is a geek or not, having your first showing on network TV, where you try to put your "corporate celebrities" on the map with the general public, feels like a play to the Apple/Google type consumer.

If it were a console, they'd just make a console. If it is a handheld, they may as well hang themselves now and be done with it. They're selling something else. They're selling a device now. Like an iPad or smartphone. They'll probably do what Apple does and sell it on "lifestyle fit" and carefully demonstrate how this new device "fits you." Again, it's not a handheld or console, or portable console. It's a Nintendo tablet with handles and HDMI output.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » December 13th, 2016, 9:18 am

Rookie1 wrote:
bluenote wrote:
Rookie1 wrote:

Ah, I see what you're saying. Good point. Not sure what Nintendo will do with this. I'm guessing they will have a mix of games, some geared towards "quick bursts" and some that are epic games.

Return to “Modern Gaming”