Zelda BoW Cancelled for WiiU (Rumor)

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Rookie1

Zelda BoW Cancelled for WiiU (Rumor)

Postby Rookie1 » December 17th, 2016, 9:38 am

Uh-Oh

More rumors.

Rich a reviewtechusa posted a video discussing the possible cancellation of the new Zelda game on the WiiU. Wouldnt that be a slap in the face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h7Nvbfv6GM&t=0s
Last edited by Rookie1 on December 29th, 2016, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ActRaiser

Re: Zelda BoW Cancelled for WiiU

Postby ActRaiser » December 17th, 2016, 11:48 am

Seems like a dumb waste of 4 million Wii U owners that would buy it as the last great game for the system (or however many already have a Wii U).

The install base for the Switch is going to be small initially.

Although based on Nintendo's track records of doing things profitably and smart...who knows. The NES Classic edition never being in stock is proof they're not always on top of things.

David

Postby David » December 17th, 2016, 12:26 pm

Thread title is a little misleading...I almost spit out my coffee. :)

I'd be shocked if it was cancelled for the Wii U. Not only would it be a slap in the face to the most loyal of Nintendo's customers who actually purchased a Wii U to cancel a game that's been advertised and shown off for years now, I believe the game is probably about finished on Wii U and all the work now is going into porting it over to the Switch. That said, nothing about Nintendo really surprises me anymore, so I guess anything's possible.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » December 17th, 2016, 2:27 pm

t's fake.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comme ... ntionally/

Good thing because this game is pretty much the Nintendo Wii U swan song game in terms of showing what the hardware was capable of doing if utilized right.

But at the same time the Wii U is almost completely dead, because high profile games like Stardew Valley, Yooka-Laylee, etc. Have all been dropped in favor of Nintendo Switch ports. And it would not be very surprising if games like Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night for the Nintendo Wii U along with the PS Vita versions get droped in the near future because it was delayed from its initial march 2017 release to the first half of 2018. Which means the game could come out as early as January 2018, or June 2018 the latest. Because by that time that time comes, the Wii U will be mostly replaced with the Nintendo Switch, and the PS Vita if you go by the original Japanese launch of December 2011, will be over 7 years old/the PS Vita will also fizzle out if the Nintendo Switch gets very popular fast enough worldwide, along with the fact that they may not want to hold the game back for PS Vita after the mess that was, Mighty No. 9. And mind you, the creator Koji Igarashi said that he will drop the older/less powerful/relevent platforms in favor for the Nintendo Switch, back when it was still called the NX.: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/06/ko ... d-problem/

At the moment, the only games that are coming out on the Nintendo Wii U on retail that are worthwhile in 2017 is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Darksiders: Warmastered Edition if it comes out, but it is possible for Darksiders: Warmastered Edition to be dropped on Wii U in favor for the Nintendo Switch because THQ Nordic has two games planed for the Nintendo Switch. And one of them might be a port of Darksiders: Warmastered Edition, but only time will tell.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 29th, 2016, 6:01 am

I call it the Curse of Sega. I bought a dreamcast and they promised all these fantastic games. None of them came out but what did were some very mediocre games.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » December 29th, 2016, 2:58 pm

Even thought this rumor turned out to be false, I would still bet a million bucks that it wont be out on the WiiU. I mean, why would it be? The WiiU production has stopped, and I would be willing to bet Nintendo wants to distance itself from it as much as possible.

Now, I know they still make Wii games, however, 100+ million Wii consoles sold. So there is still a descent market for Wii titles. Even if only a quarter of those Wii consoles are still being played, thats still more than the 13ish million WiiUs that sold, and I bet a good majority of those are either sitting on ebay, gamestop, amazon, or somewhere else.

I feel like Nintendo has pretty much abandoned the WiiU for a while now, in an effort to separate themselves from it.

Then again, who the hell knows with Nintendo. I mean, we are 3 months away from the Switch release and all we have is a silly video that shows games being played that arent confirmed for the system. We know nothing about it other than rumor, there is no advertising for it, no commercials, no publicity, nothing. I be most people dont even know that it exists. Its so stupid.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 29th, 2016, 10:31 pm

Rookie1 wrote:Even thought this rumor turned out to be false, I would still bet a million bucks that it wont be out on the WiiU. I mean, why would it be? The WiiU production has stopped, and I would be willing to bet Nintendo wants to distance itself from it as much as possible.

But what would be gained? It's already pretty much gone gold for the Wii U, increases potential sales overall (even 15 million is more than the number of units the Switch will have out at launch), and it helps keep them from getting needless bad press. In addition, they have done the exact same thing before, when moving from a low selling console to their "next big bet," specifically with a Zelda game that was a console's swan song. I don't know, maybe you weren't here for the Gamecube's last year. It was just like this. Exactly just like this.

Atariboy

Re: Zelda BoW Cancelled for WiiU (Rumor)

Postby Atariboy » December 30th, 2016, 1:57 am

I don't think Nintendo would disappoint some of their most loyal fans by cancelling it at such a late date.

I do worry just a bit about it being a digital exclusive though. Sales will not be strong for this. Here's some numbers to give an idea on what this will likely move on the Wii U.

-Twilight Princess (GameCube): 1.32 million (On a system with an install base that was 9 million units larger and with the successor that was backwards compatible, which led some early adapters to go for the last-gen release for traditional controls.

-Wind Waker HD (Wii U): 1.98 million

-Twilight Princess HD (Wii U): < 1 million

Given these sort of numbers and the fact that it tended to be Nintendo's most loyal fans that bought a Wii U (And thus, likely to be early adapters for the Switch), I think this one will have its job cut out for it to make it to a million.

So I worry that they'll toss it up on the eShop and just call it a day.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » December 30th, 2016, 6:44 am

Atarifever wrote:
Rookie1 wrote:Even thought this rumor turned out to be false, I would still bet a million bucks that it wont be out on the WiiU. I mean, why would it be? The WiiU production has stopped, and I would be willing to bet Nintendo wants to distance itself from it as much as possible.

But what would be gained? It's already pretty much gone gold for the Wii U, increases potential sales overall (even 15 million is more than the number of units the Switch will have out at launch), and it helps keep them from getting needless bad press. In addition, they have done the exact same thing before, when moving from a low selling console to their "next big bet," specifically with a Zelda game that was a console's swan song. I don't know, maybe you weren't here for the Gamecube's last year. It was just like this. Exactly just like this.

All I can say is "its Nintendo." There is no figuring them out. Its ALL speculation on both sides of the field here. We can look at all the weird stuff they have done in the past and try to apply it to the future and rationalize it.

The only thing we can really do is wait and see what happens and then point fingers and laugh at whatever side was wrong about their speculation. :lol:

Nintendo is like that one friend everyone has that is super random and spontaneous. One minute they are in your house eating all of your food, then the next day you get a phone call from them and they are in South America harvesting Coffee. All you can do is watch the madness unfold and enjoy it or retreat to the interwebs and endlessly rant about it.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » December 30th, 2016, 10:34 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:I call it the Curse of Sega. I bought a dreamcast and they promised all these fantastic games. None of them came out but what did were some very mediocre games.

18 Wheeler
Crazy Taxi
Daytona USA
House of the Dead 2
Jet Grind Radio
Metropolis Street Racer
NBA 2K
NFL 2K
Samba De Amigo
Sega Bass Fishing
Shenmue
Sonic Adventure