Anyone try Shantae?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
zetax

Anyone try Shantae?

Postby zetax » January 7th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Anyone have any opinions on the newest Shantae game? The physical release is out now for Wii U, looks like a decent action-platformer. Thoughts, please.

MrLuck87

Re: Anyone try Shantae?

Postby MrLuck87 » January 9th, 2017, 6:05 pm

I have and it's a pretty solid Metroidvania type game. The graphics and music are great. The main issue I have is that besides a few puzzles the game is insultingly easy. It doesn't take long before you become so overpowered that you can basically just run through enemies without even paying attention to how much health you have. Also it took me about 12-14 hours to get the platinum trophy if you want to know about how long the game is.

Overall I'd recommend it, especially for $20 (or $30 if you want a psychical copy with a cd). The Critic should get a copy too because he'd probably enjoy it. Hopefully this game does well so we can get more well made 2d platformers.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 9th, 2017, 10:18 pm

What system did you buy it for? I'm planning on picking up the Wii U version.

zetax

Postby zetax » January 9th, 2017, 10:24 pm

Thanx for the feedback, MrLuck87. I was starting to get a serious >cricket< >cricket< vibe from my question!

I think I'll give the Wii U physical copy a try. I'll let you know how it goes...

MrLuck87

Postby MrLuck87 » January 9th, 2017, 10:50 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:What system did you buy it for? I'm planning on picking up the Wii U version.

PS4 digital. I doubt there's much difference except no trophy support which extends the replay value a little.

Rev

Postby Rev » January 10th, 2017, 11:32 am

Limited run games also released shantae 2 and 3 physically for the ps4. If you picked them up at the time they went for a good price... They're pretty nasty now though...

The_Fox

Postby The_Fox » January 10th, 2017, 9:01 pm

I bought it for the Wii U. I love the graphics style and music. Voicing is pretty bad. Here's where I'll admit my opinion might possible reflect me not being very good at games... I find the game overly frustrating. I am a pretty casual gamer, but just four levels in, I'm getting frustrated and turning back to Skylanders and Mario Kart. Of course I know some people go for that kind of thing.

MrLuck87

Postby MrLuck87 » January 10th, 2017, 9:30 pm

What do you mean by frustrating? The backtracking? I found it a little annoying but I'm not sure I'd call it frustrating.

As far as combat difficulty goes the game is a total cakewalk. I never came close to dying one time. Very early in the game you can buy the tree dance that gives you fruit so you basically have an additional 9 hearts for the entire game. You can also buy a dance that gives you gems. If you find all the art gallery keys you can literally become invincible for the final level of the game. I wish there were some trophies for beating the game with only two hearts or something.

The_Fox

Postby The_Fox » January 11th, 2017, 6:25 am

Well, now I feel kind of silly. I die constantly, but then I only have two hearts. I guess I should have paid more attention to what was in the shop. Well, I guess I know what I need to do the next time I play. Thanks.

Return to “Modern Gaming”