Super Mario Odyssey.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Robotrek

Super Mario Odyssey.

Postby Robotrek » January 13th, 2017, 12:16 am

Wow, this looks neat. I'm a bit surprised in a way, not what I was expecting, but it looks sweet as hell. It's a more open ended Mario game, that features more realistic settings, and a bit of a darker tone. It also appears parkour is a huge aspect of the game (because that's the craze lately). It also appears you can run around foreign worlds as well. The graphics look stunning, except for the forest, which appears muddy. But hey, this still looks awesome, and I look forward to playing it. It's like Sonic Adventure, but with Mario.

strat

Re: Super Mario Odyssey.

Postby strat » January 13th, 2017, 12:54 am

The Switch is going to do a lot better than the Wii U. I always liked the Wii U despite its problems, but the Switch is so elegantly designed it makes Wii U look like a necessary mistake. And they're bringing out the software to back it up.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 13th, 2017, 9:18 am

strat wrote:... the Switch is so elegantly designed it makes Wii U look like a necessary mistake.

A necessary mistake? Wow.

That basically absolves all the issues with branding, 3rd party relations, marketing, pricing, a single gamepad, lack of substantial redesign to address issues like the shameful battery life, that Zelda BOW not yet released, long dry deserts of few games like 2016, major disappointments like Starfox, etc. The Wii U is a whole family of unforced errors.

Some mistakes are necessary, and what matters is how we recover. Lets see how Nintendo has learned from their Wii U years.

strat

Postby strat » January 13th, 2017, 10:04 am

I was referring more to the design of the console itself than all the other issues and the fact it now looks like some awkward transition from the Wii to the Switch.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 13th, 2017, 1:34 pm

Just went and watched the trailer. Looks impressive, but I can't help but feel wary about the more realistic looking world and character models. Please, Nintendo, don't Sonic up your most beloved franchise!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 13th, 2017, 9:49 pm

The human world component looks like it's just a weird hub world. The levels themselves looked to be done in the traditional Mario style.

These are the same guys that did both Super Mario Galaxy releases, Super Mario 3D Land, and Super Mario 3D World. So it's in good hands and unlikely to disappoint.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 14th, 2017, 2:22 pm

Really the only thing I have faith in Nintendo to do right anymore is making solid first party games. I'm sure this Mario game will be incredible. I actually enjoyed Mario 3D World quite a bit but I'm not upset to see them go back to a less casual approach to 3d Mario.

Return to “Modern Gaming”