Nintendo Switch: Boom or Bust?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Rookie1

Re: Nintendo Switch: Boom or Bust?

Postby Rookie1 » January 22nd, 2017, 8:58 am

I think its fair to say that there is a pretty large user base that has been burned by Nintendo, both with hardware and games. To me, the switch is another under-powered gimmick machine. If it can somehow pull off a massive library of 3rd party support and pump out more than 2 quality 1st party games a year, it might have a redeeming factor to it. I dont think the fan-boys are enoug to support. I dont think the casual yuppy gamers will flock to its party appeal when they already all have established a relationship with their phones and ipads. I also dont think they will capture the hardcore gamers, because they see nintendo as junk and they are neck deep in their next-gen nonsense. The last user base they have is someone like me, more than causal but less than hardcore. I want to play 3rd party titles like GTA, Red Dead, Doom, etc. Why would I want a Switch if it cant offer me the 3rd party library I want when I can get the PS4 and Xbone for less than the cost of a Switch?

scotland

Postby scotland » January 22nd, 2017, 11:48 am

Atarifever wrote:
BanjoPickles wrote:3). The games.
4). Paid online subscriptions.
6). Third-party developers.

These points are the reasons why I'm not just out on Switch, I'm out on Nintendo...As for games, they have burned me too often...I don't know what comes after "fool me 3 times" but I'm certainly not making it four. The other two companies treat their fans and customers 100 times better, and I'm done with this out of touch, anti-customer mess of a company.

Statements like this are important to hear, especially as I know your family has a big Animal Crossing fan in it. Its like Nintendo is less a hardware entertainment business like Sony or MS, but more like an artist with a strong fanbase. In those cases, the intangibles of what kind of music you like make comparing really hard. I guess Nintendo wants to be the video game equivalent of Jimmy Buffett, who has been on successful tour for decades, still making new songs, but really, fans love him for his classic stuff.

And crossing the streams from the other Switch thread...
Atarifever wrote:Sorry, pet peeve warning. No. No they are not. Apple makes garbage trash

I value your opinion, buddy. My family uses both Apple and Android products. Android products are used in low to higher end products, but Apple is a prestige brand used only in generally higher end products We've had problems with both families of products, however, you are right - if people are paying a premium for Apple they should be getting the best available hardware and features. Nintendo is the same way - for that kind of money, it better be a quality build.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » January 23rd, 2017, 9:11 am

I love Nintendo and I'm sort of enthusiastic for the Switch. However, they are very few games I'm looking forward to. From the launch games only The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Bomberman R seem interesting to me. Then we got Sonic Mania (not a launch games & also available for other consoles) and Super Mario Odyssey (launch in Q4!!) that seem interesting for me. I think that's very sparse for a new system (that 1-2-Switch and Snipperclips games seem more like tech demos for the system). It's too much like the launch of the Wii U...

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » January 29th, 2017, 2:20 am

Okay, so I've had two weeks to digest the Switch reveal, and there were a couple of points that I didn't even consider at first:

1). Nintendo as the alternative/secondary hardware manufacturer. I have heard so many people state that the consoles thst Nintendo has released since the Wii act as sort of a secondary console. That's all well and good, but how can the Big N, or Nintendo fans, say that they are not in competition when their pricing model is on par, or even higher, than said competition? Pricing the Wii at $250 made sense. After all, the PS3 was initially $600, and the 360 was still going for $400. The price made sense. Pricing the Switch at $300, considering that the cost of the systems, would be like Nintendo releasing the Wii at a $400 price point. It would have been destroyed by the competition, even with Wii Sports as a pack in.

2). The worst of both worlds. Every so-called innovation with the Switch has been done before, and oftentimes better. It has more accurate motion controls than the Wii, but that console had Wii Sports. Without that game, the Wii never would have taken off. 1,2 Switch isn't capturing the positive attention that they so desperately need. It's trying to provide a console experience on the go, but Sony themselves learned that the public doesn't want that. They're releasing lesser controllers at a premium. There is no reason for the cost of a pro controller to be $70! That's insane!

scotland

Postby scotland » January 29th, 2017, 5:11 am

Good points, BanjoPickles.

As i read on the switch, I am still encountering a lot of sticker shock articles. One counter is that our hobby is not a pocket change hobby anymore where kids rent games from blockbuster, but a luxury hobby where you pony up like an adult. That big name games are so expensive to make and gamers demand the best graphics, etc. I see it rather as consoles choosing the high end segment, whicn is fine, but our hobby has wide paths for gaming. Retrogaming with faux hardware is inexpensive, PC gaming can be dirt cheap with steam, etc.

If your primary console is a PS4 or XB1, your second system could be your PC, or a retro device, or your last gen system, etc. It could be a phone or tablet. It might be a smart tv. The thing is, Nintendo has lots of competition even in the "second system" realm.

There is an outside chance VR gets its 'killer app'. This could be good for Nintendo if it drives the PS4 and XB1 system and games up in price and leaves more gamers falling behind in disposable incomes. It might also make room for another new console - not an Ouya machine but something like from an Amazon or Google that might grab marketshare.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » January 29th, 2017, 6:52 am

scotland wrote:
If your primary console is a PS4 or XB1, your second system could be your PC, or a retro device, or your last gen system, etc. It could be a phone or tablet. It might be a smart tv. The thing is, Nintendo has lots of competition even in the "second system" realm.

Their gaming price model is already too out of date to be appealing. For $6, I kid you not, I got a used copy og Skyrim this week at the local used gaming place. $6! As I have said before, I get full games on PS+ for PSTV and PS3. Flash Sales on Steam and PSN have gotten me real, full, modern games for next to nothing. Meanwhile, because of their holding the prices high and having almost no third party support to offer alternatives, even used Wii U games are usually above $30, and most are $40+. Their online prices never drop to levels comparable with the PS, Xbox, or Steam prices. Their sales are barely even worth checking out. Their online subscription service will rent you tiny ROM files.

How can your "second system" not just cost more to buy, but cost more for any games you want to buy? Again, I can play Skyrim right now on PS3, and I got the game for practically nothing. Tis is the same game being used to advertise the Switch. This thing has no potential as a secondary system. It's either your premium primary system or nothing.

(Sidenote: how fitting that my opinion of Nintendo finally broke to negative when they released a console called "switch." Thanks Nintendo, I think I will).

scotland

Postby scotland » January 29th, 2017, 8:35 am

Atarifever wrote: How can your "second system" not just cost more to buy, but cost more for any games you want to buy? Again, I can play Skyrim right now on PS3, and I got the game for practically nothing. Tis is the same game being used to advertise the Switch. This thing has no potential as a secondary system. It's either your premium primary system or nothing.

I hear you. As a secondary system, its priced wrong and there is lots of competition.

For the Nintendo console faithful, this will be their premium system, but I think its a shrinking fanbase. Given the disappointing WiiU sales, that number probably tops out at 7 million in North America. I doubt the Switch is going to bring in that many portable gamers used to $30 games, cheaper hardware, and hardware designed to be portable. Nintendo may be tempted to kill off the N3DS to try to push sales to the Switch, but that may not work either.

Traditionally, the boards here have been pretty bullish on Nintendo, but the tide might be changing.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 29th, 2017, 11:40 am

Atarifever wrote:Their gaming price model is already too out of date to be appealing. For $6, I kid you not, I got a used copy og Skyrim this week at the local used gaming place. $6!

I said the same thing. I actually just bought a brand new sealed copy of Skyrim Legendary Edtion for $10 shipped. Why would I buy that same game for $60 for just a minor graphical update (if it even has a graphical update, that is)?

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » January 29th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Atarifever wrote:
scotland wrote:

Their gaming price model is already too out of date to be appealing. For $6, I kid you not, I got a used copy og Skyrim this week at the local used gaming place. $6! As I have said before, I get full games on PS+ for PSTV and PS3. Flash Sales on Steam and PSN have gotten me real, full, modern games for next to nothing. Meanwhile, because of their holding the prices high and having almost no third party support to offer alternatives, even used Wii U games are usually above $30, and most are $40+. Their online prices never drop to levels comparable with the PS, Xbox, or Steam prices. Their sales are barely even worth checking out. Their online subscription service will rent you tiny ROM files.

How can your "second system" not just cost more to buy, but cost more for any games you want to buy? Again, I can play Skyrim right now on PS3, and I got the game for practically nothing. Tis is the same game being used to advertise the Switch. This thing has no potential as a secondary system. It's either your premium primary system or nothing.

(Sidenote: how fitting that my opinion of Nintendo finally broke to negative when they released a console called "switch." Thanks Nintendo, I think I will).

This.

Skyrim may be an excellent game, but that ship has sailed. We've already come to the conclusion that it most likely won't be the special edition that the PS4/360 got, but rather a straight port of a game that you can nab for $10. This has become a bad habit for Nintendo; they did the same thing with Arkham City, which was a year old when it came out for the Wii U. They released it at full price, it had none of the DLC, and a few tacked on gimmicks that nobody asked for.

One of the main problems with Switch is that it has no identity. I'm not seeing the game-changed that we were promised. What I do see is a console that will get a new MARIO, a port of a Wii U game, a few surprises, the same online that can't compete with the others, and a third-party community that gives it some modest attention at first and then quickly leaves it to rot. They should have named this thing the Nintendo Arrogance because that's all I'm seeing from them right now.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 29th, 2017, 5:09 pm

At least Nintendo is consistent. New system with questionable power, some gimmicks, franchise exclusives, and less 3rd party support "for the whole family".

It's interesting to see how console owners are reacting. But I'm wondering what 3DS owners will do. Will the switch replace their 3DS??

Return to “Modern Gaming”