Switch Impressions

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
fod

Re: Switch Impressions

Postby fod » March 8th, 2017, 6:55 pm

scotland wrote:Now that the Switch is out, there are some complaints. What do you think on these?
(And lets keep in mind none of these are even in RROD ballpark)

No web browser when the WiiU and 3DS have them - would be nice to have, but indifferent
Overheating - Huh? How about stop covering the vent!
No Netflix or other high interest apps - Netflix would be nice, but indifferent
About a 3 hour battery life - It's basically a portable Xbox One! Three hours in impressive! Get a portable battery pack if you're outside of civilization.
Save data locked to the hardware storage - Indifferent for now, but a solution will be needed when future Switch iterations emerge.
Nintendo saying a small number of dead pixels don't qualify as a defect - Common issue with LCD technology, and being more selective in the display manufacturing process would've driven up the price of the Switch. IMO anything more than 5 is a defect.
The dock scratching the screen - Clean your dock!
The joy con losing connection momentarily - This sucks. Seems like a signal interference issue, but I've only experienced it with the Left Joy-Con in docked/console mode.
Not being able to charge in tabletop mode without buying yet something else - A valid complaint, but changing the location of the port would've negatively impacted the simplicity of the docking mechanism. Stick the USB-C port on the top, then docking upside-down would've risked overheating due to the location of the vent. Stick the vent on the bottom, then the heat would be directed towards the player in portable mode, not to mention that the vent would be covered in tabletop mode.
The flimsy kickstand - Valid complaint, though it's also common among kickstands of that type. Hopefully replacements will be available for sale in the near future.
Lack of Bluetooth headphone support - Unfortunate, but also understandable considering the Joy-Con connection issues. Adding BT headphone support would've introduced yet another threat to Joy-Con connectivity.

Overheatjng would be my biggest concern (and screen issues), and it might not become apparent how much of an issue that is for months, if it is an issue at all.

Copied and pasted straight from NintendoLife, eh? ;)

My personal takes are in your quote.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » March 8th, 2017, 9:55 pm

Though the Switch certainly isn't free of issues, I find that many of them are the same issues that plague EVERY system at launch. For all the times I've heard people claim that Nintendo fans have an "it's ok when Nintendo does it" mindset, I've seen considerably more people with the exact opposite mindset: namely, "it's only worth complaining about when Nintendo does it." Yes, there have been some defective Switch units, but I'd wager that the percentage of such isn't much bigger than that of defective PS4s or Xbox Ones, especially at their respective launches. I'm not going to defend the existence of them in the first place, but a lot of people blow problems like these way out of proportion when Nintendo's involved. It's the same double standard that's resulted in us hearing "Nintendo is doomed" over and over for the past twenty or so years every time they do...well, practically anything.

And make no mistake, there are legitimate problems with the Switch, some of which I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, but I don't think any of them are mortal wounds to the system. Nintendo absolutely needs to listen to fans about improvements they should make, but the Switch is nowhere near the trainwreck some people (99% of which have likely never even played it in the first place) make it out to be.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » March 9th, 2017, 12:24 pm

I got to play Zelda on one the other day. It was fine. The screen looked good, the joycons felt ok, but still felt there was no real reason to buy one. I have been playing Zelda on the WiiU pretty hard for the last week, and this Switch version didnt look or feel any different IMO. Unless that thing has some tricks up its sleeve, and pulls out something major, I just dont see this initial hype as enough to power it through more than 2 years. I guess time will tell.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 16th, 2017, 10:39 pm

The Nintendo Switch is a go to console for Japanese Games/niche games/Indies/Nintendo 1st Party/retro games and remasters/cartoony platformers for its game library. It is not going to get bleeding edge games such ultra demanding open world games/dude bro mature rated stuff like the Call of Duty series for obvious reasons.

Anyone agree/disagree with what I just wrote?

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » March 23rd, 2017, 10:17 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:The Nintendo Switch is a go to console for Japanese Games/niche games/Indies/Nintendo 1st Party/retro games and remasters/cartoony platformers for its game library. It is not going to get bleeding edge games such ultra demanding open world games/dude bro mature rated stuff like the Call of Duty series for obvious reasons.

Anyone agree/disagree with what I just wrote?

Your post comes across as the typical Nintendo defense soapbox.

Nintendo released a hardware with as much problems as your average AAA release in the 2010's.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 24th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:The Nintendo Switch is a go to console for Japanese Games/niche games/Indies/Nintendo 1st Party/retro games and remasters/cartoony platformers for its game library. Anyone agree/disagree with what I just wrote?

Nope. The story now is its getting indie games like Minecraft Story Mode at $10 more than you can buy it elsewhere ($40 to $30). Plus, digital games will have the same cost as physical. Maybe its the cart media, but that was not such an issue for the 3DS. Higher prices could lead to lower sales, leading to indies leaving the platform as not worth the effort.

Tron

Postby Tron » March 26th, 2017, 1:14 am

Rookie1 wrote:I got to play Zelda on one the other day. It was fine. The screen looked good, the joycons felt ok, but still felt there was no real reason to buy one. I have been playing Zelda on the WiiU pretty hard for the last week, and this Switch version didnt look or feel any different IMO. Unless that thing has some tricks up its sleeve, and pulls out something major, I just dont see this initial hype as enough to power it through more than 2 years. I guess time will tell.

I havn't played da Switch, but that's about my sentiments.

I'm not feelin da Switch. Biggest game for its release is a Game that's already been on the Wii U for awhile? The gimmick game looks lame. I get the hype. Fans want da Switch to succeed, but unless some good games come rollin soon and I mean SOON this thing will fade into memory fast. I'm really disappointed in Nintendo. Seriously how could they release this thing without a stellar lineup of games?

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » March 26th, 2017, 9:54 am

I overheard the girl at game craze yesterday saying that Breath Of The Wild for wii U actually loads faster, which is interesting, especially with it being a disc vs a cart for the switch.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » March 26th, 2017, 8:56 pm

CharlieR wrote:I overheard the girl at game craze yesterday saying that Breath Of The Wild for wii U actually loads faster, which is interesting, especially with it being a disc vs a cart for the switch.

I was actually surprised by the load time when I played it. I figured with a cart I wouldnt see any.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 1st, 2017, 6:59 pm

Got to spend some time with the Switch today and color me impressed. Breath of Wild seemed really interesting, but console-wise, pretty typical.

But things got fun when we took the screen to another room and played Squibblecuts (or whatever it's called) with the Joy cons. I guess that's he full potential--can be a solo traditional gaming experience or turn into a impromptu party game.

I was pretty cold on it initially, and was considering a Wii U, but I think I'll grab a Switch instead (eventually).

Return to “Modern Gaming”