Best graphics on the 8th Gen Consoles!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Best graphics on the 8th Gen Consoles!

Postby Sonicx9 » May 7th, 2017, 10:20 pm

I would love to start a topic on what are some of the best graphics on the 8th Gen Consoles.

But before people can post I have some rules for this topic.

1. The games graphics have to be a impressive showcase to what the PS4/Pro/Xbox One and soon Scorpio/Nintendo Switch and sometimes the Wii U to a leaser degree if it is a more demanding visual impressive game like Xenoblade Chronicles X.

2. No Cross Gen/Handheld versions allowed as they in my honest opinion do not show off what the 8th gen can do in raw graphics/performance/game play scope, etc. There is one exception that can be allowed though and that is Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor as the last gen ports where total garbage and where butchered ports compared to the real deal, and maybe some of the sport game offerings here and there as they tend to use newer more powerful engines that do take proper advantage of the 8th Gen Consoles.

3. Remasters normally do not count unless the graphics have been 100% rebuild from the ground up like Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy.

4. No sprite based games or games with lower end 3D graphics such as Lego titles, Minecraft, Goat Simulator as even for the later two games Minecraft and Goat Simulator respectively on the PC original version do not look very visually impressive even for PC standards.

Screenshots/Gameplay videos are welcomed for this topic.

Here is one: Snake Pass not only is it made with high standards hardware in mind, but it also runs on the powerful Unreal Engine 4 proving that all it takes to properly show of more powerful hardware is games made with the highest hardware standards/powerful engines like Unreal Engine 4, go figure? Video from DigitalFoundry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX7Rn9YUXm8

If people have question about this topic, post here and I can say things clearer for you guys?

LoganRuckman

Re: Best graphics on the 8th Gen Consoles!

Postby LoganRuckman » May 8th, 2017, 4:37 am

Why are there so many caveats? Like, why no sprite based games or handheld titles? This is an entirely subjective question to ask, so it's not really inconceivable for someone to prefer hand drawn 2D over "mind blowing" 3D games. You might as well ask what the most technically impressive game is rather than the most visually pleasing.

Sut

Postby Sut » May 8th, 2017, 5:48 am

LoganRuckman wrote:Why are there so many caveats? Like, why no sprite based games or handheld titles? This is an entirely subjective question to ask, so it's not really inconceivable for someone to prefer hand drawn 2D over "mind blowing" 3D games. You might as well ask what the most technically impressive game is rather than the most visually pleasing.

Yeah seems a bit of a loaded question as I think GTA 5 and MGS 5 look great on 8th generation with all the additional lighting and textures.

Anyways.

Kill Zone Shadow Fall: character models ain't great but some of the outside sections are truly jaw dropping a great launch title.

Uncharted 4: Very cinematic and lots of characters and things happening on screen. It's almost new age blast processing.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 8th, 2017, 12:50 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:Why are there so many caveats? Like, why no sprite based games or handheld titles? This is an entirely subjective question to ask, so it's not really inconceivable for someone to prefer hand drawn 2D over "mind blowing" 3D games. You might as well ask what the most technically impressive game is rather than the most visually pleasing.

I should have titled this thread as most technically impressive game is rather than the most visually pleasing.

About why I do not count 8th Gen console only sprite based games such as Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Chaos Code: New Sign of Catastrophe because these games are not good showcases in what powerful hardware is capable of doing and mind you. They could have easily done Kirby and the Rainbow Curse on the 3DS with downgraded resolution and nothing would be loss as the game is a huge waste of the Wii U hardware.

As for the handheld part, what I meant is handheld versions of PS4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch and sometimes Wii U versions. As their is a considerable hardware gap between the 3DS/PS Vita compared to those other consoles in raw specs. So games like Super Smash Bros. 2014 aka for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. The graphics for the Wii U version could not take full advantage because of the 3DS version, go figure?

Now I explain a little better OK.

Return to “Modern Gaming”