What Franchises Need to Return

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Stalvern

Re: What Franchises Need to Return

Postby Stalvern » July 26th, 2017, 11:48 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Mech Warrior - giant mechs battle it out, what's not to love?

MechWarrior 5 is supposed to be coming out next year. Fingers crossed.

JustLikeHeaven wrote:Earthworm Jim

I don't think that a new Earthworm Jim would work very well; the original games are too tied to their era and creator. Updating that base would just dilute it, and faithful preservation would be redundant at best and pandering at worst. It sets you up for the video game equivalent of either the Robocop remake (which threw out most of what made the original a classic) or the Psycho remake (which reproduced it so slavishly that there was no reason to watch the remake instead of the original).

A series that I superficially want to continue but that I know probably shouldn't is F-Zero. They could improve the graphics and have a new set of tracks, but F-Zero GX got the engine exactly how Shigeru Miyamoto wanted it, and he's said himself that the reason there haven't been new F-Zero games is that they'd be redundant. I hate to admit it, but he's right.

I do think it's about time we had a new Panzer Dragoon game. Not even a Panzer Dragoon Saga follow-up, just regular old Panzer Dragoon. Visual atmosphere is half the reason that series exists; it would be unbelievable on current-gen hardware, especially in VR.

Speaking of Sega games with beautiful environments, a new Ecco the Dolphin.

A new Turrican would kick ass, 2D or 3D. The music alone would be reason enough to buy it.

A Wing Commander revival would have been an infinitely better Kickstarter for Chris Roberts than Star Citizen turned out to be, although I guess it's a little late to be wishing for that.

There needs to be a 3D Blaster Master game that isn't Blasting Again. Something huge, colorful, and just plain weird. Something with a POV that lets you see more than the ground immediately around you.

And the most obvious answer: Half-Life.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » July 27th, 2017, 8:33 am

Streets of Rage
NiGHTS
Panzer Dragoon
Half-Life
Space Harrier
BioShock (yes, already!)
The Journeyman Project
Turrican (apparently new game is in development)

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » July 30th, 2017, 9:31 am

I want a new Kid Icarus that returns to it roots of being part-platformer, part-Metroid style action-adventure.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » July 30th, 2017, 11:11 am

Does every new Ninja Gaiden have to be 3D? Even a 2.5D Ninja Gaiden would be nice... something that is a return to the style of the NES games.

Not that it matters because I don't own any new consoles.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » July 31st, 2017, 10:23 am

Many franchises need to return because the modern day game company is struggling to make new franchises work, Only a few so far have done the trick such as DiRt, Company of Heroes, and Yooka-Laylee (The Banjo Kazooie "Lizard" Edition).

Some franchises that should be brought back include but not limited to:

Super Hang-on, King Of The Monsters, Bust-A-Move, Destruction Derby, and many many more franchises. If the game companies that made these franchises could bring them back they would do the players a good thing and they'd be making a killing just by saying that these franchises will get a new game in the series. :idea:

SpaceGuitarist

Postby SpaceGuitarist » July 31st, 2017, 4:37 pm

Arcade sport games.
I'm european so when I say "sport" I actually mean football. And when I say "football" I actually mean soccer.
You know, like SuperSideKicks or even the late 90s Winning Eleven games. I think it's about time we go back to making football games where your player can sprint for 10 minutes without having a heart attack.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » August 3rd, 2017, 7:08 pm

snakeboy wrote:I want a new Kid Icarus that returns to it roots of being part-platformer, part-Metroid style action-adventure.

As far as I know, there was never a sequel for Kid Icarus on any of the consoles that Nintendo released after the NES. A shame, really, as that was a really good game. Tough, but good.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » August 3rd, 2017, 7:10 pm

I'd love to see Toe jam and Earl come back again at some point in time. I remembering sinking a lot of hours into both of the games that were available on the Genesis. Especially the second one. I still play that one from time to time and it still hold up today in my mind.

Cory

Postby Cory » August 3rd, 2017, 9:51 pm

I would like to see a modern interpretation of one of my favorite NES games 'Solstice'.

SegaRiddle1990

Postby SegaRiddle1990 » August 3rd, 2017, 9:58 pm

Personally, I want to see a revival for some of the old Hudson Soft IPs like Adventure Island, Neutopia, and Bonk. Very unlikely considering how Konami owns the rights to all of them now, but then again they did release Super Bomberman R, so there's always that slim hope for them yet down the road.

Return to “Modern Gaming”