What Franchises Need to Return

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JustLikeHeaven

What Franchises Need to Return

Postby JustLikeHeaven » July 23rd, 2017, 9:19 pm

We've seen plenty of games make a glorious return in recent years..DOOM, Prey, Metroid is coming back. Still there are TONS of classic franchises that remain dormant.

Me and my friend Josh discuss this very topic in our latest episode of our Podcas - The Wolfman's Lounge. If you're interested in listening feel free to follow the link:

https://wolfmanslounge.com/2017/07/23/wolfmans-lounge-episode-14/

I personally would like to see Castlevania come back (how is dormant when they JUST launched a anime on Netflix). I'd also like to see Splatterhouse, Earthworm Jim, and Star Control make a return. Which franchises would you love to see make a return?

Sut

Re: What Franchises Need to Return

Postby Sut » July 24th, 2017, 2:44 am

Out Run and Hang On or a combination of both. There cannot only be me who craves a classic arcade style racer with current gen graphics.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 25th, 2017, 6:21 pm

Is Final Fight still around?

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » July 26th, 2017, 10:35 am

I think as a whole the Arcade Racing Genre and the Beat Em Up Genre need to make a massive comeback! There are fans out there waiting for a renaissance in these genres.

I mean, look at the Adventure game genre. It's back and arguably better than ever. Sure the point and click, find one obscure pixel, combine six random items, LucasArts/Sierra Adventure games still haven't fully returned. I'd argue that those styles of game need to stay buried away. The Adventure game genre has evolved into something a little easier to swallow and I can't say that is entirely a bad thing.

All it takes is one amazing arcade style racer to get fully embraced (sell REALLY well) and the genre could be on it's way back to glory. I'd love to see SEGA give us the Ultimate OutRun game. Not sure it will happen at this point though.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » July 26th, 2017, 5:52 pm

Spyro the Dragon, definitely!

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » July 26th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Looks like Crash Bandicoot has sort of come back. Still wishing for a good new game in the series tho.

JWK

Postby JWK » July 26th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Astrodomekid mentioned Spyro and I think that's a great idea. Sure, there are the Skylander games, but what about the Insomniac produced originals? I'd love the original PS1 trilogy remade a la the PS4 Crash HD Collection. Think I'd even prefer that to a new game.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 26th, 2017, 8:28 pm

I think it will probably come true. Crash N-Sane Trilogy has sold pretty well showing that there is a big market for people to see their PS1/N64 classics ported with a fresh coat of paint. Spyro would be the next logical series to be announced so I wouldn't be surprised if we hear something about it in the next 6 months.

jon

Postby jon » July 26th, 2017, 10:13 pm

I'd like to see Sega return to the football market. Obviously they can't do it, but I wish the NFL 2k series could return. To me, in retrospect, that was a special franchise. I also would like toe see Sega return to the college football market. The Bill Walsh series was unbelievable.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 26th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Regarding the football idea, that's not such a bad idea at all. I'd love another take on the NFL 2K games. They clearly wouldn't be able to use the NFL license but it could still be a great game.

Here are few games I'd love to see updated or returned:

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron games. The last one I played was on the Gamecube. Suppossedly, Factor Five had made a new one for the Wii but it got canned for some reason.

Samba de Amigo - I could see this being a good game on the Kinect. The update for the Wii wasn't all that accurate.

Eternal Darkness - a true sequel would be wonderful

Crimson Skies - It's GTA in the sky.

Mech Warrior - giant mechs battle it out, what's not to love?
** Both franchises seemed to stop on the original Xbox and both were fantastic

Is it odd that some of the most acclaimed RPGs never had a sequel? Skies of Arcadia had a remastered version for the Gamecube but Panzer Dragoon Saga still never left the Saturn era.

I'd buy updates in those series in a heartbeat and I can't be the only one.

Return to “Modern Gaming”