Anyone hyped for Samus Returns

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: Anyone hyped for Samus Returns

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 21st, 2017, 5:47 pm

Less hyped, more worried. It's a collaboration between the people who made Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate, and the man who wrote the plot to Other M.

If they bring their usual issues to the table, Nintendo will have all the ammunition they need to claim that 2d Metroid games are no longer welcome in the current market.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 22nd, 2017, 4:25 am

Yes, I pre-ordered it! Seems like the last interesting 3DS game for me....

Voor

Postby Voor » August 24th, 2017, 1:23 pm

GTS wrote:To answer the original question, yes I am hyped. I bought a "new" 3DS and preordered the game. I will also be getting the new Prime title, though that probably has years of development ahead of it.

As I mentioned before on other threads, a few years ago I plated through every Metroid game back to back. It was an awesome experience. I found the 3D ones equally as good as the 2D ones, and feel that we still need both styles going forward. A lot of people poo-poo 3D, but when it comes to games of exploration, the 3D concept works well. It's fun to step into a dark cave and be able to look all around you (I sense a VR opportunity).

The one gripe I have about the Metroid games is that they started having Samus talk in the later games. It took the mystery out of the character. Other M did this extensively. That game also had the worst gameplay mechanics of the series.

Why does other M get all the hate? I never played it, but remember being excited for it, probably it seemed like it was kind of getting back to 2 D roots.

I never played Prime either, so I'm looking to score a GC so I can finally see what it's all about. Worried about motion sickness though...

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 24th, 2017, 6:43 pm

Voor wrote:Why does other M get all the hate? I never played it, but remember being excited for it, probably it seemed like it was kind of getting back to 2 D roots.

Stupid controls, simplistic and contrived design, wretched writing that constantly shoved its awfulness in your face.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 30th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Voor wrote:Why does other M get all the hate? I never played it, but remember being excited for it, probably it seemed like it was kind of getting back to 2 D roots.

Stupid controls, simplistic and contrived design, wretched writing that constantly shoved its awfulness in your face.

You said it! That's why I'm a little leery of this game, as much as I love me some Metroid.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 16th, 2017, 4:37 pm

Grabbed a copy today. So far, so good. Has that classic formula and gratifying sense of accomplishment when you get a new item. Controls are taking me some time to get used to though. I would have preferred they kept the controls from super metroid of the GBA games, and ditched the Melee stuff. Scan pulse feels like a cheat, but I understand why they included it. Having a large map always available is really nice.

My biggest concern is that wonder if killing 40 bosses is going to get old.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 21st, 2017, 1:45 am

Grabbed a copy the other day. Pretty true to classic formula established by the old games. Very good game, the reviews by the critics out there seem fair - mid 80's - low 90's. The 3ds Controller is my least favorite part of the game. The combat does somewhat degenerate towards tedium due to the charge attacks by the enemies (and a knock back type defense by Samus), a minor criticism since this could be said about any game that reuses the same enemies. Other than that this is a classic and modern Metroid game.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » September 25th, 2017, 3:46 am

I played this game for some time now and I'm not sure if I'm a fan. (I should note this is only the second Metroid game I played, after the excellent Metroid: Zero Mission on GBA). Many times I find it hard to find out where to go (I'm getting lost in the giant maze, without having any clear sence of direction) or where to get the power-ups to be able to continue. So, still in doubt about this one. But I'll play it some more, maybe my mind will change...

Voor

Postby Voor » October 2nd, 2017, 10:59 pm

That's kind of the charm of metroid. You'll get lost, stumble around for a bit, and then come across an area you previously couldn't access. It's a really fine line to these games.

I enjoy it while I'm playing but after I turn it off, I don't really feel compelled to jump back in. Still, it's a very good game, but just falls short of super metroid, which I think is a masterpiece.

Grade: B

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » October 3rd, 2017, 5:47 am

Not in the slightest. The first I knew of it was when i was this post.

It was pretty good on the cube and okay on the DS as I remember. I would be a lot more hyped for Wave racer switch.

Return to “Modern Gaming”