RIP Wii Shop Channel to end service on January 31, 2019!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

RIP Wii Shop Channel to end service on January 31, 2019!

Postby Sonicx9 » September 29th, 2017, 2:59 am

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/wii-shop-cha ... ry-31-2019

A fault for modern games digital download services!

But for all you Wii fans out there what Wiiware/Virtual Console games would you recommend me to download from the Wii Shop Channel before the service closes down/points can not be added?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_V ... th_America)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_W ... th_America)

Robotrek

Re: RIP Wii Shop Channel to end service on January 31, 2019!

Postby Robotrek » September 29th, 2017, 12:46 pm

Maboshis Arcade is about the best choice you could make. It's simple, and addictive!

As for this news, I was wondering why it hadn't shut down before. I'm guessing they'll leave the service up AFTER the inability to buy Wii Points just to give people the ability to download all of their games. Thankfully, in the future, all of the WADs will remain, so future generations CAN experience these games.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 29th, 2017, 1:50 pm

One good reason to leave it up past the ability to add Wii Points is that not everyone reads videogame media outlets or posts at message boards where people still care about the Wii. And even those that do may still not see the news, nor see the message at the Wii Shop when they log-in that surely will have this information. Nintendo isn't going to want someone on the eve of the shutdown to buy $20 in points, and then get stuck with much of it unspent.

Nor would they want someone to load up a lot of credit to buy a lot of games that they missed out on before they disappear, and then have their system die the next week. So this weens people off by locking them out from adding credit for the final 10 months of the service, giving them time to empty their wallets, transfer games to a Wii U, seek tech support if it still exists (Wii U only at this point, I bet?), etc.

Mario500

Postby Mario500 » September 30th, 2017, 10:22 am

Robotrek wrote:Maboshis Arcade is about the best choice you could make. It's simple, and addictive!

As for this news, I was wondering why it hadn't shut down before. I'm guessing they'll leave the service up AFTER the inability to buy Wii Points just to give people the ability to download all of their games. Thankfully, in the future, all of the WADs will remain, so future generations CAN experience these games.

Could you answer these questions for me:

What did you mean by "WADs"?

Why were the words "after" and "can" completely capitalized?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 30th, 2017, 4:09 pm

Mario500 wrote:What did you mean by "WADs"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_WAD

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » September 30th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Mario500 wrote:
Robotrek wrote:Maboshis Arcade is about the best choice you could make. It's simple, and addictive!

Could you answer these questions for me:

What did you mean by "WADs"?

Why were the words "after" and "can" completely capitalized?

I capitalized the words to put emphasis. Even if not grammatically correct (whatever) I was mimicking how I'd have said it in person.

Also, WAD is the format that contains .app format files, which when extracted, can work as virtual console and WiiWare titles. Most pirated WiiWare titles are in the "WAD" format.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » January 24th, 2019, 2:37 pm

A reminder that the shop will close next week! sad to see it go.

I still have 1000 points that I need to spend, possibly on an n64 or wiiware game. I've heard maboshi's arcade is good. Trying to decide, but should probably go with a wiiware game that I won't be able to get after the shop closes. With something like Mario Tennis, I can get that elsewhere.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 24th, 2019, 5:46 pm

CharlieR wrote:A reminder that the shop will close next week! sad to see it go.

I still have 1000 points that I need to spend, possibly on an n64 or wiiware game. I've heard maboshi's arcade is good. Trying to decide, but should probably go with a wiiware game that I won't be able to get after the shop closes. With something like Mario Tennis, I can get that elsewhere.

Yeah... I gotta do this too. Like 9 months ago was the deadline to add money to your Wii account, so I threw like $80 on my Wii. It's stupid really, because I haven't used my Wii in 10 years and I doubt I'm going to start now. But now I gotta spend that money before it's too late. (P.S. Imagine how much free money Nintendo will pocket when they close that shop. So many people probably forgot they still have a little money on there. Do the math... like 100+ million Wiis sold - if even 10% of those still have like an average of $5 on their account, that's an easy $50 million for Nintendo.)

But anyways, so why'd I add that money with no plan behind it? Well, I have "collector" and "preservationist" sides to my brain and both of them were saying, "Once the Wii Shop closes, these games will be impossibly rare and there will be no way to ever obtain them again. And now is your last chance to add money!" That compelled me to try to pick up a few games before they're gone forever. What games you ask? No idea... I figured I'd add the money first and decide later. Probably a mistake, but I guess only time will tell.

Btw, this deadline is also the last day to transfer downloads to the Wii U, if interested.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 24th, 2019, 5:48 pm

P.S. Any tips of great Wii Shop games to download that can't be obtained any other way? Or super rare retro games to download from the Virtual Console? I'm all ears....

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » January 25th, 2019, 7:49 am

CharlieR wrote:A reminder that the shop will close next week! sad to see it go.

Not trying to be a hoodlum, but long after the Wii Shop Channel is gone, the WADs for such games will still be very widely available, and playable on both emulators and actual hardware.

Return to “Modern Gaming”