Loot boxes?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Loot boxes?

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 10th, 2017, 7:01 pm

I'm not normally one to play online, but I've been reading a lot about how loot boxes are ruining it.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/10/ ... pencritic/

Just another example of online play ruining game - all in the name of the almighty dollar.

Thoughts?

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Loot boxes?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 10th, 2017, 7:30 pm

It depends for me. What's in the boxes? Is it cosmetic stuff to personalize your avatar, or weapons and armor that gives you an edge against other players? Do you HAVE to pay for them, or can you earn them in game by doing quests and stuff? Fortnite is doing something like that, giving you the option to either buy or earn them, and if you get anything super powerful like a high level weapon I don't think it carries over into online play. I don't mind that, but I do mind when it becomes pay to win.

ActRaiser

Re: Loot boxes?

Postby ActRaiser » October 12th, 2017, 8:53 am

They setup a pretty addicting system on Overwatch. It's not weapons that will make you more powerful but different cosmetic touches, voice lines, or dances (it's goofy).

Normally, I don't care for loot boxes at all as most of it is junk. With Overwatch though there's a sense that just one more game will get me a loot box. Then when one opens it and not's a new costume, well, that was pointless.

For games where everything is equal and it's your skill, I think it's fine. It's one more incentive to play a game, similar to trophies or achievements.

What I don't like are loot boxes that give you an advantage on the battlefield. Even when the developers provide another option to earn loot boxes, such as, by playing over time. It still begs the question of a "pay to win" option. Personally, I find it disdainful. I'm thinking of Halo 5s Warzone/Firefight like mode.

Return to “Modern Gaming”