Beware of Cuphead physical, it is a code, not a disc!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Beware of Cuphead physical, it is a code, not a disc!

Postby Sonicx9 » November 2nd, 2017, 6:26 pm

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/357 ... ry13864549

Next Tuesday alongside the Xbox One X launch, cuphead is getting a physical version, but it is a download code only!

I did not list this under the Physical Release Thread because I only list ones that give an actual cart/disc instead!

These download code physicals are big scams that need to be boycotted!

Stalvern

Re: Beware of Cuphead physical, it is a code, not a disc!

Postby Stalvern » November 3rd, 2017, 5:54 am

From the thread that you linked, it looks like this isn't a scam, just crap from Microsoft trying to screw the little guy. Materially, it would cost pennies to put DVDs in those cases, but Microsoft's licensing makes it prohibitively expensive for the numbers that a physical release would end up selling.

If anything, this shouldn't be boycotted - ideally, it would be bought as much as possible to establish that the necessary market exists for a real physical release. But the market might not actually be big enough anyway (which is why this is an issue at all), and there's no real reason to buy this product in itself in the first place, so it's a moot point.

The choice wasn't between a real physical release and this. It was between this and nothing at all. In that situation, I just wouldn't have bothered, but I don't run Studio MDHR, and I can't blame them for wanting to put their game out in some tangible form, even if it ultimately isn't actually the game.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » November 5th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Fantastic news. Really this is great to hear. This highly original game is only available on Win 10 PC and Xbox 1. Most people I know have just bought this indie game via download. Most game users are going away from physical releases and I am no different. It is the future. Any system that is physical releases only is a dinosaur.
Also it is not the first. There were the isometric tomb raider games which were dlc only.

Rev

Postby Rev » November 5th, 2017, 9:05 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:Fantastic news. Really this is great to hear. This highly original game is only available on Win 10 PC and Xbox 1. Most people I know have just bought this indie game via download. Most game users are going away from physical releases and I am no different. It is the future. Any system that is physical releases only is a dinosaur.
Also it is not the first. There were the isometric tomb raider games which were dlc only.

I doubt you'll find many people on this forum that will echo your excitement. In addition, I find it alarming that you are so eager to say that something being only released digitally is such a good thing. Of course people bought it digitally, that is the only way to play it right now. How else would they have bought it? A crystal ball? Drawing in a book? There's nothing wrong with buying your games digitally and sometimes that is the only way you'll get to play a game but I don't see how it's a great thing. Is it bad to have other options to obtain your games?

Also physical releases have been doing quite well this generation. Many developers are getting chances to release their games physically and places like Amazon, Limited Run Games, and more have been making a killing releasing their games for consumers wanting a physical disc. If anything, how well these companies have been doing pretty much screams that consumers aren't quite ready to go completely digital.

I doubt this game will not got a physical release in the future, especially with its success. We'll see though.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 5th, 2017, 9:19 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:Fantastic news. Really this is great to hear.

Really? Even though I'm not interested in buying it on a disk (or at all, as much as I admire its creativity), why on Earth should I be happy that the people who do want to can't? If someone cares about this, it's bad news. If they don't care, it's no news at all. What could possibly make it "fantastic" news? You almost give a reason, but it's BS since you're talking about an industry trend (and not entirely a positive one, for reasons amply discussed on this forum), which Cuphead individually doesn't affect.

GameOfThrones wrote:There were the isometric tomb raider games which were dlc only.

Tomb Raider? Thousands and thousands of games have been download-only since at least the early '90s, including the vast majority of indie games like Cuphead. (And those Tomb Raider games are 3D, not isometric - Marble Madness, SimCity 2000, etc. are isometric - but I suppose that's less relevant.)

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 5th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Rev wrote:
GameOfThrones wrote:Fantastic news. Really this is great to hear. This highly original game is only available on Win 10 PC and Xbox 1. Most people I know have just bought this indie game via download. Most game users are going away from physical releases and I am no different. It is the future. Any system that is physical releases only is a dinosaur.

I doubt you'll find many people on this forum that will echo your excitement. In addition, I find it alarming that you are so eager to say that something being only released digitally is such a good thing. Of course people bought it digitally, that is the only way to play it right now. How else would they have bought it? A crystal ball? Drawing in a book? There's nothing wrong with buying your games digitally and sometimes that is the only way you'll get to play a game but I don't see how it's a great thing. Is it bad to have other options to obtain your games?

Also physical releases have been doing quite well this generation. Many developers are getting chances to release their games physically and places like Amazon, Limited Run Games, and more have been making a killing releasing their games for consumers wanting a physical disc. If anything, how well these companies have been doing pretty much screams that consumers aren't quite ready to go completely digital.

I doubt this game will not got a physical release in the future, especially with its success. We'll see though.

I agree 100%, physical release are a good thing for the market, as it is the only way to preserve history 10, 15, 20 years down the road. And when you ave DLC codes, its bad because it expires in a few years and then becomes worthless. The same thing with Call of Duty WW2 disc needing a mega patch just to work is unfair for the people who live in Wyoming and Kansas compared to the big states like California, New York, etc.

So physical release are here to stay no mater what you want.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » November 6th, 2017, 1:07 pm

If we simply refuse to buy these games publishers will say the physical releases don't sell. We need to buy them, then return them to send a signal that 1) we want physical releases of games, and 2) a download code does not count.

Even better: call customer service and ask what happened to the disk. Be nice, but keep them on the phone for as long as possible. Make it very clear that you expected a disk, that the internet is too slow in your area for downloads to be practical (if it is; don't lie.) Ask if they can send you a disk. Ask if you can mail the box back for a refund. Tell them you'll call the BBB. Get their attention! They'll just keep pushing this if no one pushes back.

What are you talking about? Dinosaurs are AWESOME! Especially if they don't have feathers and they're drawn by Charles R. Knight:
Source:https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Laelaps-Charles_Knight-1897.jpg

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » November 7th, 2017, 7:59 pm

Dinosaurs are awesome.

I was being snarky for Sonics benefit. I have about 400 downloaded games. All legit and mostly on xbox one. Though I also have loads on my pc via steam.

The Xbox was originally download only console. They changed it at the last moment and it shows.

I bought Claire on the xbox the other day. Dl only. I also bought killing floor 2 as well. Download only. Both are great. Would I have bought them via disk? Probably not.

Cuphead is download only. My pal says it is a good game. It looks fun and I will go round his and watch him play it. I have my back log to play and am not getting any more games at least until Friday.

Return to “Modern Gaming”