Got me a SWITCH!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
newmodelarmy

Got me a SWITCH!

Postby newmodelarmy » November 10th, 2017, 5:41 pm

This is the first Nintendo console I have bought in a while and I am pretty excited about it. I picked up Mario and Just Dance 2018. So far very happy with it. Mario is a lot of fun albeit a tad on the easy side. For your Switch fans out there what games would you recommend? Zelda is a no brainer but I am going to hold off on that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Got me a SWITCH!

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 10th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Where did you find one?

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 11th, 2017, 1:50 am

newmodelarmy wrote:This is the first Nintendo console I have bought in a while and I am pretty excited about it. I picked up Mario and Just Dance 2018. So far very happy with it. Mario is a lot of fun albeit a tad on the easy side. For your Switch fans out there what games would you recommend? Zelda is a no brainer but I am going to hold off on that.

Congratulations! It is an awesome bit of kit. Got it just in time too, I heard tell they may be hard to find after black Friday and over Xmas period.

Games to add to Odyssey and Just Dance:

Mario Vs Rabbids.
Mario Kart 8.
Zelda Breath of Wild.
Sonic Mania.

noah98

Postby noah98 » November 11th, 2017, 7:41 am

I know here in Central,Florida, Target seems to always have them in stock. I would recommend the following physical releases:

88 Heroes
Cave Story
Ultra Street Fighter II
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Super Bomberman R
Arms
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart
Pokken Tournament
Rayman Definitive Edition
Zelda

You already have Mario Odyssey, so great start!

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 11th, 2017, 12:54 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Where did you find one?

I bought mine at Gamestop but I have seen them everywhere (Walmart, Target, Best Buy) out in the wild. I have also seen them on Amazon regularly. Either Nintendo has fixed its supply problem or demand is down.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 11th, 2017, 2:51 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Where did you find one?

I think they've been popping up pretty consistently now, especially in the past couple months. Lately you can even find them on Amazon, direct from Amazon for the usual $300 price. Seems like they've finally got enough stock, though we'll see if that holds up through the holiday.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » November 13th, 2017, 7:33 am

They're always available at the Wal-Mart here, and have been for a couple months. I have a theory on some moves Nintendo made time-wise with the Switch to get to have their cake and eat it too.

First, releasing it in March let them have their "shortage" stories they like to have at a console launch, and made it a cool, "must have" item for awhile. Now they've got a good supply for Christmas (when people will be buying), but they will likely have shortages on the SNES Classic, so they get those stories again. However, they also get people in Wal-Mart, Target, etc. looking for the SNES, where what do they find available instead? The Switch. The ol' bait-and-Switch, literally.

I think they've handled their launch year pretty well to make sure their usual holiday scarcity is avoided, while still getting two sets of scarcity stories this year.

For my part by the way, it looks like I will have a Switch afterall. Both my kids are crazy over Nintendo (and my wife loves Animal Crossing), so my wife suggested we really surprise the kids with a Switch for the whole family this Christmas. I'm obviously not getting in the way of a new videogame system coming into the house when my wife suggests it. We're going to pull the "wait, what's that last present over there" trick once all their presents are open. My 5 year old's reaction should be priceless. So in my "I hate Nintendo" year, I'll end up getting my kids a second 2DS (for my 8 year old), Mario Maker (for my 5 year old) and a Switch for all of us. Yeah Nintendo. Feel my hate.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » November 14th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Congratulations on getting a Switch! Having owned mine for the past few months, I'm willing to admit that I was (mostly) wrong in my criticisms (though I stand by my original opinion that they need to do something about the absurd prices of some of the games).

Ahem. Anyway:

-Splatoon 2. I didn't get to play Splatoon 1, but I'm having a blast with the sequel! I'm even able to get my three year old daughter in on the action, due to the fact that the joycons aren't tethered to a base controller. She gets blue, and I get orange.

-Strikers 1945. A console port of the arcade schmup. Old school fun!

-Gunbarich. This one is really odd, and I'm glad that I gave it a go. Imagine mixing a schmup with Breakout and pinball. It's a very challenging, addicting game that was originally an arcade game. I think that this is the only home port.

Sut

Postby Sut » November 15th, 2017, 3:23 am

Atarifever wrote:So in my "I hate Nintendo" year, I'll end up getting my kids a second 2DS (for my 8 year old), Mario Maker (for my 5 year old) and a Switch for all of us. Yeah Nintendo. Feel my hate.

:lol:

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 15th, 2017, 6:53 am

Ya I am really enjoying Mario Odyssey but I am not sure if it warrants all the perfect 10's I have been seeing on various review sites. Anyway, I do like the "assist" mode because my 8 year old daughter insists on playing the game with me and that is a good way to take away some of the frustration as to where to go next. A really fun game and a must own game for all Switch fans. This system is a huge upgrade from the WiiU although I do not believe it will be the runaway success the original Wii was. Oh and I picked up Zelda but haven't had a chance to check it out.

Return to “Modern Gaming”