Online Gaming is a mess

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Online Gaming is a mess

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 15th, 2017, 10:44 pm

This article reminds me why I avoid putting my consoles online. Not an even playing field!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/ ... s-economy/

pacman000

Re: Online Gaming is a mess

Postby pacman000 » November 16th, 2017, 8:11 am

Just a reminder: This "pay-to-win" model didn't start with developers; it started with modders, pro-gamers. Ten or so years ago there was a back alley economy for online games; some players would create a character, get it to a certain skill level, then sell access to their account on ebay. At the time developers resisted it; they saw it as cheating, and thought it would alienate their main audience. Guess money talks...

scotland

Postby scotland » November 16th, 2017, 11:37 am

Thanks for posting that Ars Technica article

I was a big fan of the Lucasarts Pandemic games. In single player, you would level up - make so many head shots and earn a better rifle that made head shots even easier kind of thing. I think online, everyone was back on an even playing field. I didn't play online much, so correct me if that's wrong.

EA seems to have brought this into online, and made the upgrades a commodity. Now as an older gamer with more money than time or skill, I see the attraction - until I realize the 15 year olds can buff up too. Is there good skill matching here, or is it a big free for all?

Voor

Postby Voor » November 16th, 2017, 2:58 pm

YEAH my brother was telling that he was planning to get the Elite version of Battlefront 2 because you have upgraded abilities. That blew my mind....2 versions of the same game depending on how much you pay?!?! What about the integrity of the actual game (using skill)? Booooo

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » November 16th, 2017, 5:32 pm

scotland wrote:Is there good skill matching here, or is it a big free for all?

I believe Activision has patented a system to match players without paid upgrades with those who have them... so they'll be defeated over and over and encouraged to buy the upgrades, too.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... aking.aspx

The entire game industry needs to burn to the ground.

GTS

Postby GTS » November 16th, 2017, 8:16 pm

As someone who plays Killzone Shadow Fall and Rainbox Six Siege online, I can tell you that playing online against multiple players is like gaming heaven. I'm sorry you have missed out on it due to some antiquated, and generalized views of being online. There is no "play to win" in those two games and for many other games.

They have been releasing new maps for Rainbow Six for 2 years now, and I didn't have to pay a dime for any of them. With the continued support, it it expected to sell 7 million copies before the end of its lifetime. Killzone is a different story, but still has a core group of people playing it online; pretty good for a launch game.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 16th, 2017, 9:39 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:This article reminds me why I avoid putting my consoles online. Not an even playing field!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/ ... s-economy/

OK Critic we get it..you hate online gaming...give it a rest!

Return to “Modern Gaming”