Battlefront 2 micro transactions Cancelled for realease!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Wallyworld

Battlefront 2 micro transactions Cancelled for realease!

Postby Wallyworld » November 16th, 2017, 10:36 pm

EA really crapped the bed on this one. They planned on charging full price for the game but the game mechanics are the same as a Free to Play (Pay 2 Win). You can basically boost your Avatar by paying real money to give huge advantages over players that didn't. Well needless to say there was a ton of outrage over this and at least for launch EA has turned off all micro transactions to buy in game currency with cash.

I'm afraid EA won't be able to salvage this game even if they did turn off micro transactions. This games reputation has been dragged through the mud so much it will likely be damaged goods for a long time.

Remember the good ol' days when this game was on the original Xbox? It was fantastic! I bought Battlefront 1 for the PS4 hoping for more of the same and it didn't even have a campaign mode. Now for BF2 they added a campaign mode but found an even dumber way to make good games bad.

GameOfThrones

Re: Battlefront 2 micro transactions Cancelled for realease!

Postby GameOfThrones » November 17th, 2017, 4:57 pm

Two different games. SWB was a lucas arts games.

then Disney bought them, sacked everyone and farmed it out to EA. I blame Disney first and foremost.

Then EA want to make it pay to win. They tried that with Mass Effect and it was a miserable failure. No one I know bothered with the loot boxes. The curse of this gen. I had been playing it for months and then I noticed I had a stack of these things. Opened a few of em. Not sure what they are for.

The critic reviews SWB and says it is okay. Not the first time he has got it wrong. I get it and was like errr okay what does this have to do with Battlefronts? In a one word nothing. So you get a generic online shooter. It is okay.

Then I heard about the loot boxes in part 2 and said no way. Never will I get this. My understanding is although they have annulled the microtransactions the game itself is still riddled with the pay to win ethos. As you have to play for a long time to unlock key characters.
Check this out as one of the many EA hate posts out there. https://www.reddit.com/r/PrequelMemes/c ... ouncement/

Though as I said before I blame Disney.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 17th, 2017, 6:31 pm

This change did not include a large-scale overhaul of the rate at which players earn unlockable content, it just removed the ability to jump ahead by spending money. It only did so temporarily, as EA promised microtransactions would return in the future after the game had been fixed.

This is from an online news article, and the keyword is 'temporarily'. EA is going to 'fix' it.

On the plus side, this is the most fan pushback I've seen in awhile. However, its clear gamers want incredible things out of their games, and publishers like EA want games as a service as the only way to finance these massive games. This includes continually proding consumers for small transactions as well as DLC to keep engagement high and make more money. I can't even say its greedy because this game (I mean, the trailers I've seen look fantastic), and the license, must have cost about the same as the Death Star. I remember a story that 2011's Star Wars the Old Republic MMORPG cost $200 million to make. Remember that it cost $110 ($60 for the game, $50 for the DLC season pass) for the first edition of the 2015 Battlefront too.

I can't see EA abandoning the microtransactions as they have probably already baked that revenue stream into the budget for the game to begin with.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 19th, 2017, 10:32 am

This story has percolated up past gaming media now. Stories in mainstream media are ripping EA, its old executives who Don't care about the industry, and microtransactions in general and how deep a mess it is for the industry. Also that Disney, who is merchandising the heck out of Star Wars and needs it to stay a family friendly cash cow, stepped in. Also that fans of Star Wars want a story based game, and all we get is EA Battlefront.

Maybe, just maybe, all this loot box stuff (which Overwatch apparently uses) has it it's zenith, but we'll see. There is a huge amount of money to be made, if gamers are convinced to pony up, so it's a fun thing to see evolve.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » November 19th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Overwatch doesn't really belong in the same category as BF2. The loot boxes in Overwatch only confer cosmetic items. In BF2, they are tied to gameplay and are needed for character progression. In Overwatch, there is no character progression and thus no way to improve your game through purchases.

Also, Overwatch gives out loot boxes every time you level up, which is pretty rapid. I have no idea who in their right mind would spend money on them because it's so darn easy to get them for free.

Return to “Modern Gaming”