RIP Wii U 5th birthday!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Voor
Posts: 462
Joined: April 14th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Re: RIP Wii U 5th birthday!

Postby Voor » November 28th, 2017, 9:10 am

EH, Smash has a huge following, particularly in tournaments, but I don’t think it’s as universally popular as Mario Kart. And many of its most diehard fans co sided the best version to be 3 generations ago (Melee).

Sonicx9
Posts: 499
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: RIP Wii U 5th birthday!

Postby Sonicx9 » November 28th, 2017, 11:09 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:And that one game could have single handily saved the console big time!

Nope.

Why no?

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 436
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: RIP Wii U 5th birthday!

Postby Stalvern » November 29th, 2017, 1:37 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Why no?

Because an entire friggin' library of first-party exclusives didn't, and because the 3DS version's sales wouldn't have translated to Wii U version sales anyway, since they played to completely different markets and since it wasn't Super Smash Bros. that drove sales of the 3DS system in the first place. The 3DS version was the first handheld Super Smash Bros. ever, so it was cracking an untapped market that had been waiting over a decade for it. Almost 50 million people already owned a 3DS in 2014, while there weren't even 10 million Wii U owners. The people who bought the 3DS version did not have to buy a new system for it, and they bought it so they could play Super Smash Bros. wherever they felt like for the first time. That is not the market that buys a Wii U in order to play Super Smash Bros. only in the living room (or the next room over, I guess).

Sonicx9
Posts: 499
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: RIP Wii U 5th birthday!

Postby Sonicx9 » December 11th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:Why no?

Because an entire friggin' library of first-party exclusives didn't, and because the 3DS version's sales wouldn't have translated to Wii U version sales anyway, since they played to completely different markets and since it wasn't Super Smash Bros. that drove sales of the 3DS system in the first place. The 3DS version was the first handheld Super Smash Bros. ever, so it was cracking an untapped market that had been waiting over a decade for it. Almost 50 million people already owned a 3DS in 2014, while there weren't even 10 million Wii U owners. The people who bought the 3DS version did not have to buy a new system for it, and they bought it so they could play Super Smash Bros. wherever they felt like for the first time. That is not the market that buys a Wii U in order to play Super Smash Bros. only in the living room (or the next room over, I guess).


A little late with the response, but even if Nintendo just made the game for the Wii U and took a ginormous loss, it still would have helped the Wii U out in some way. What the Super Smash Bros. 2014 aka for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U reminds me of if the infamous Titanfall 1 situation where it was a huge mistake of making it multiplatform on the PC and Xbox 360 around the same time period the main Xbox One version was out. I mean this video said it best: https://youtu.be/YlfOymeSkGw?t=2m14s in the part that says if it is the only place to get it on is that one system, more consoles for that said system would have been picked up because it incentivize the gamer/custemr to buy the piece of hardware for that one game alone! And the part that says why is that game released for older/less powerfull hardware blows his mind because that never happen in previous gens to the existent which was virtually unheard of at the time frame! It also makes the publishers/developers nervous because it then makes then gamers/consumers buy the inferior 3DS version over the superior Wii U version which defeats the purpose of buying next gen hardware!

Also one thing that I did not like is because 3DS was involved, we lost the freaking Ice Climbers thanks to the 3DS version, which is unfair for the Wii U version and hurts some of the promised next gen content that would only have been possible if the game was Wii U only!

I know many are going to disagree with the post, but that is just my honest opinion on the situation.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 436
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: RIP Wii U 5th birthday!

Postby Stalvern » December 12th, 2017, 2:33 am

Sonicx9 wrote:A little late with the response, but even if Nintendo just made the game for the Wii U and took a ginormous loss, it still would have helped the Wii U out in some way.

...You understand that the entire point of selling a video game console is to not lose money, right? The Wii U wasn't a person who needed and deserved Nintendo's love and charity; it was a product that they sold because that's the business they're in. But even if they had treated it in this insane way, and even if we play extremely dirty and count every single 3DS Smash sale as a unit moved for the Wii U system, the console still would have been a flop at around 20 million sales (compare that to 70 million so far for the PS4).

Sonicx9 wrote:What the Super Smash Bros. 2014 aka for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U reminds me of if the infamous Titanfall 1 situation where it was a huge mistake of making it multiplatform on the PC and Xbox 360 around the same time period the main Xbox One version was out.

The 360 was still competing with the Bone at the lower end of the market. The 3DS and Wii U were never in competition. You're ignoring the point I spent a whole post explaining.

Sonicx9 wrote:Also one thing that I did not like is because 3DS was involved, we lost the freaking Ice Climbers thanks to the 3DS version, which is unfair for the Wii U version and hurts some of the promised next gen content that would only have been possible if the game was Wii U only!

If your idea of "next-gen content" is the Ice Climbers and not the exclusive Wii U modes, the exclusive Wii U features in the other modes, or the massively expanded roster and upgraded graphics compared to Brawl, then the words don't mean anything except as an excuse to complain. That content is on the Wii U. The tiny detail that was cut (and you don't even mourn Solid Snake, the missing character that people actually gave a crap about?) was traded for an entire game. I'd like to see you explain to a 3DS owner how the Ice Climbers are more important than letting them play handheld Smash.

Sonicx9
Posts: 499
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: RIP Wii U 5th birthday!

Postby Sonicx9 » December 12th, 2017, 12:46 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:Also one thing that I did not like is because 3DS was involved, we lost the freaking Ice Climbers thanks to the 3DS version, which is unfair for the Wii U version and hurts some of the promised next gen content that would only have been possible if the game was Wii U only!

If your idea of "next-gen content" is the Ice Climbers and not the exclusive Wii U modes, the exclusive Wii U features in the other modes, or the massively expanded roster and upgraded graphics compared to Brawl, then the words don't mean anything except as an excuse to complain. That content is on the Wii U. The tiny detail that was cut (and you don't even mourn Solid Snake, the missing character that people actually gave a crap about?) was traded for an entire game. I'd like to see you explain to a 3DS owner how the Ice Climbers are more important than letting them play handheld Smash.


The reason I did not complain about Solid Snake not being in the game as he was never planed for that game in the first place. Ice Climbers on the other hand was planed for the game originally, but was cut because of the 3DS version being involved.: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... ware-power And it is not fair to cut out a requiring character in the franchise because they where in every game starting with Melee and onward. And having content parity for the roster hurts the artistic vision of the product of not reaching its full potential that they originally wanted to have for the product. It drives me mad when companies are force to downgrade their products to pander to the lowest common denominator hardware, because it ruins the true idea of next gen content. See Watch Dogs 1, Mighty No. 9, Destiny 1, Metal Gear Solid 5, etc.

I know many are going to disagree with me on what I just wrote, but that is just my honest opinion on the situation.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 436
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: RIP Wii U 5th birthday!

Postby Stalvern » December 12th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Do you just pick one sentence to read and respond to? You ignored my point that the Wii U and 3DS have different markets, and now you're ignoring my point that the loss of one character from a roster of over 50 is a drop in the bucket compared to the extensive Wii U features that weren't compromised on. My patience for reiteration is dwindling, so this will be my last time engaging any of these points.

Putting aside whether or not it's "fair" to cut a character after they appear in two games (a pretty silly number to use the word "every" with) - and whether you like it or not, it is always fair for Nintendo to make decisions about their own projects - you're carrying on about this like the Wii U Smash is a direct port from the 3DS, as if they crippled the game to make it run on both platforms. Here's a list of all the stuff that's only in the Wii U version:

Wikipedia wrote:The Wii U version features high-definition 1080p graphics and a special mode that allows up to eight players simultaneously. This mode is restricted to certain larger stages and cannot be played online, though additional stages were made available for eight players via post-release update patches.[24] Various modes from the 3DS version, such as Classic mode, feature various changes in the Wii U version, with some modes allowing two players to play cooperatively or against each other in other modes. The Wii U version also features three exclusive new game modes; Smash Tour, Special Orders, and Event Mode. [...] Returning features unique to this version include Special Smash, allowing for unique rules, Stage Builder and Photo mode, which allow players to create personalized stages and dioramas (with a compatible SD card), and demo versions of classic games in a "Masterpieces" gallery. An update on April 15, 2015 added content-sharing features,[27] with a Miiverse stage added for free on June 14, 2015. An update released on July 31, 2015 added an online tournament mode.[28]


And here's a list of all the stuff that was cut because of the 3DS:

Wikipedia wrote:The Ice Climbers were originally planned for inclusion, but were removed due to the technical limitations of the 3DS.


You can't say that Nintendo "pandered" to the 3DS when that first box is several times bigger than the second (by virtue of containing more than one item). You certainly can't say that they were somehow "forced" to compromise their "artistic vision" when Nintendo themselves controlled the whole project and were by definition following their own vision. You can't compare the Ice Climbers to the gigabytes of content that were cut from The Phantom Pain, and you can't compare the Wii U Smash's use of its platform to the Ouya-bound Mighty No. 9. None of the examples you give do anything but emphasize the absurdity of your point.

I don't know why you're so dead-set on going out of your way to feel betrayed by a game that turned out perfectly fine. It's like scheduling a visit to the doctor because you stubbed your toe.

Sonicx9
Posts: 499
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: RIP Wii U 5th birthday!

Postby Sonicx9 » December 12th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Stalvern wrote:Do you just pick one sentence to read and respond to? You ignored my point that the Wii U and 3DS have different markets, and now you're ignoring my point that the loss of one character from a roster of over 50 is a drop in the bucket compared to the extensive Wii U features that weren't compromised on. My patience for reiteration is dwindling, so this will be my last time engaging any of these points.

Putting aside whether or not it's "fair" to cut a character after they appear in two games (a pretty silly number to use the word "every" with) - and whether you like it or not, it is always fair for Nintendo to make decisions about their own projects - you're carrying on about this like the Wii U Smash is a direct port from the 3DS, as if they crippled the game to make it run on both platforms. Here's a list of all the stuff that's only in the Wii U version:

Wikipedia wrote:The Wii U version features high-definition 1080p graphics and a special mode that allows up to eight players simultaneously. This mode is restricted to certain larger stages and cannot be played online, though additional stages were made available for eight players via post-release update patches.[24] Various modes from the 3DS version, such as Classic mode, feature various changes in the Wii U version, with some modes allowing two players to play cooperatively or against each other in other modes. The Wii U version also features three exclusive new game modes; Smash Tour, Special Orders, and Event Mode. [...] Returning features unique to this version include Special Smash, allowing for unique rules, Stage Builder and Photo mode, which allow players to create personalized stages and dioramas (with a compatible SD card), and demo versions of classic games in a "Masterpieces" gallery. An update on April 15, 2015 added content-sharing features,[27] with a Miiverse stage added for free on June 14, 2015. An update released on July 31, 2015 added an online tournament mode.[28]


And here's a list of all the stuff that was cut because of the 3DS:

Wikipedia wrote:The Ice Climbers were originally planned for inclusion, but were removed due to the technical limitations of the 3DS.


You can't say that Nintendo "pandered" to the 3DS when that first box is several times bigger than the second (by virtue of containing more than one item). You certainly can't say that they were somehow "forced" to compromise their "artistic vision" when Nintendo themselves controlled the whole project and were by definition following their own vision. You can't compare the Ice Climbers to the gigabytes of content that were cut from The Phantom Pain, and you can't compare the Wii U Smash's use of its platform to the Ouya-bound Mighty No. 9. None of the examples you give do anything but emphasize the absurdity of your point.

I don't know why you're so dead-set on going out of your way to feel betrayed by a game that turned out perfectly fine. It's like scheduling a visit to the doctor because you stubbed your toe.


This is my last repsone, related to what I said above this blog did say that 3DS did hurt the Wii U momentum in certain ways: https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016 ... ike-maria/ especially this part: https://arcadegirl64.files.wordpress.co ... 163&h=2817 And that part is 100% right for some of the identical titles that where not different games mind you.

All I hope in the near future is the Nintendo Switch port of Super Smash Bros. 2014 aka for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U restores The Ice Climbers characters, because if they don't I will be doing a huge Darth Vader's Noooooooooooo! and will likely be my angriest post ever!


Return to “Modern Gaming”