Best open world RPG of this gen: Witcher III, Skyrim, or other?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Retro STrife

Best open world RPG of this gen: Witcher III, Skyrim, or other?

Postby Retro STrife » November 27th, 2017, 4:31 pm

Lately I'm really loading myself up with games that I might never have time to play. Like I recently posted in the Classic Gaming forum, I just picked up Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 Remix. But on Black Friday, I also picked up cheap copies of Witcher III and Skyrim, two games with mammoth time commitments, meaning that I'm lucky if I ever play one, let alone both. But I really hope to give at least one of them a shot. As an RPG fan, I feel like it's important for me to try at least one of these top-rated open world action RPGs, because it's been while. (The last Western RPG that I played was the first Mass Effect.. which was years ago, and not open world.)

So I'm wondering the best open world RPG on the current generation of consoles, if you only had time to play one? While Skyrim is a little older, I had to take note of it after Game Informer claimed that it's the #1 RPG ever on its recent list of "100 Best RPGs", beating out classics like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. The Witcher III was at #5 on that list. But when I looked up the two games, the Witcher III seemed more up my alley because of the much heavier focus on characters and story. Meanwhile, I know there's other good options (like Fallout 4), so I'm open to other suggestions.

As a bonus, feel free to let me know which you'd play first: (1) your choice from this topic, or (2) one of the Kingdom Hearts?

Gentlegamer

Re: Best open world RPG of this gen: Witcher III, Skyrim, or other?

Postby Gentlegamer » November 27th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Skyrim is a last gen game.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 27th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:Skyrim is a last gen game.

Lol, yes true. I thought of clarifying what I meant, but figured my post was long enough. Skyrim is last gen, but I bought the Skyrim Special Edition on PS4 (released in 2016), so it is a remastered version of a last gen game on a current gen console. Plus, from what I read, the quality of the game remains competitive with current releases, so I found it fair to compare it with more recent games. But regardless, good point. That correction aside, any thoughts on how they stack up?

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » November 27th, 2017, 9:04 pm

Skyrim isn't even a top 20 RPG of all time.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 28th, 2017, 2:05 am

Horizon Zero Dawn is worth a look. While lacking in many RPG elements, it still tentatively keeps much of the formula intact - XP system, managing skill sets, and upgrading inventory. Where it deviates from the RPG experience is the staged story line, single ending, and lack of any meaningful interactions outside of the staged ones on the main quest. Horizon Zero Dawn, game wise, is like taking Breath of the Wild and blending it with Fallout 4.

I do not know Kingdom Hearts very well, I think there was a game on the PS2 I had and liked.

Hard to say what even qualifies as an RPG anymore though. Fallout series gives a good account of how RPG's have changed. Going from Fallout 2 to 3 to 4 one sees a considerable evolution away from RPG elements that we grew up with. This is the norm for many "RPG" series. Fallout 2 would be a tough sell to many kids today, although for my 2cents, it is probably the best Fallout game of the lot. Elder Scrolls, same scenario, Skyrim is less RPG like than, say, Morrowind released on the PC in the early 2000's.

Gentlegamer wrote:Skyrim isn't even a top 20 RPG of all time.

It is one of the most popular though.

Sut

Postby Sut » November 28th, 2017, 3:38 pm

I’m not a big RPG gamer so whilst not being over qualified to make suggestions I will say that I got into Fallout 3 (last gen) and Fallout 4 this gen big time.
They really suck you into the world and time passes so quickly, it only feels like you’ve been playing an hour then suddenly it’s 2am.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » November 28th, 2017, 4:25 pm

The only modern Fallout worth playing is New Vegas.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » November 28th, 2017, 5:27 pm

I have to agree with Gentlegamer...on all counts. Skyrim isn't completely devoid of value but it's far from the best option. I think the best way to put it is that it doesn't have a lot for RPG fans to find interest in. For people who don't typically play RPGs, it was like a revelation for them to be able to do some of the things that are actually handled way better and with more depth in other games (but which they would never have known about since they don't play RPGs). The character development is shallow, the combat mechanics floaty and inaccurate, and the story a major snorefest. The game is also extremely easy. The most fun you can have with Skyrim is modding the heck out of it and enjoying the absurd chaos of it all.

Witcher 3 is a great candidate. Also, you might enjoy Dark Souls III if you are inclined to pick it up (more of a semi-open world, but more actual freedom than many games offer).

It's hard for me to recommend Kingdom Hearts in any form. Try out KH1 and see what you think. If you can't get into that one, chances are you won't like the rest of them.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » November 28th, 2017, 10:24 pm

Skyrim is a fantastic game. Which ever system you get it on you are in for a treat. I mean it really is open world. I mean I suppose you could get one of the tired old Final Fantasy games. A series that is so long in the tooth it needs to quietly shuffle into the night. No chance. I have the Vita conversion for the 1 and it looks like a vita game. It is okay and like all the ff games not really open world.
I have Skyrim remastered and it is this gen. No matter what anyone else says. Super graphics, so open world it is breath taking. You know it the same story as usual in fantasy. The bad guys (dragons, Vampires, Werewolves, bears, wolves, bandits etc) have turned up to ruin your idyllic life. It is up to you to stop them. The only problem is I put 500 hours into it on the 360 so it feels a bit familiar.
Then of course there is Witcher 3. Superb graphics and a true RPG. Finally Witcher steps into the open world. This game is huge but it is a bit on the hard side. I really enjoyed it until I got stuck. So it is like Witcher 2 on 360. Exactly the same thing happened.
The best Fallout game if you are into them is Fallout 3 which is backwards compatible on the 360. A remarkable achievement of taking interplays isometric game and making it a true 3d rpg. Superb, this probably has swallowed a 1000 hours of my life. Next up is this gens Fallout which is 4. Superb but I felt like it was more on first person that rpg. Though this is still a cracking game and well it is Bethesda so you know it is class. Lastly Fallout New Vegas. The bug ridden mess that was released on us a year or two after 3. They released so many patches for it, it eventually worked. Though the Wasps still kill you after a couple of stings. So for me it is 3, 4, NV.
Next Piranha Bytes the makers of the Risen series have released a new Epic Rpg called Elex. I fancy it but with all of their games you need to buy them half price.
Avoid the awful Dark Souls series which is not open world. Play a bit fight a boss monster kill it then get killed by a serf. It is good if you like frustration game play. I have the first one which was so average it was not worth playing
Similarly there is the also ran Lords of the fallen out. It is the same game as Dark souls so if you love those types of games. Fab otherwise avoid.
Last but by no means least is Technomancer. It is by the makers of mars war logs. I have not played it but this is not a premier game. Might be okay if you can get it cheap.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 29th, 2017, 12:51 pm

Thanks for all the input and feel free to keep it coming. Tough decision, especially since it seems like opinions are really varied on all these games. Making it tougher is that RPGs aren't easy to just jump in and out of... I feel like you have to give an RPG at least 10-20 hours to decide if you like it.. so you've already spent way too much time before you decide it's not for you. Plus, I have trouble bailing on games even when I don't like them, especially if I'm interested in the story, so that makes it tougher. It bugs me to stop games mid-way through, even though I wish I wasn't like that.

I do already own many of the games mentioned here (Witcher III, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Dark Souls... and while not open world, I also own Mass Effect 2 & 3 and have them on my to-play list too), so it wouldn't be hard to try them all out. But the time commitment is the problem. A week ago, I was leaning toward Witcher III, because the promise of a great game and great story was intriguing to me. Then I started thinking that I've played a lot of RPGs with great gameplay and stories, whereas Skyrim's shape-your-own-story method sounded like something I never experienced before. That, combined with Game Informer calling it the best RPG ever, had me leaning toward Skyrim the past few days. Now everyone here (except GOT) says that Skyrim is overrated :lol: . So I'm back to mulling it over again. I'd probably rule the Dark Souls games out for this go-around..dying over and over is not that appealing to me at the moment (I know there's more too it than that, but I'm geared toward a more leisurely RPG right now). One good thing about trying Skyrim-- I feel like the lack of story will allow me to ditch it faster if I'm not enjoying the gameplay.

Return to “Modern Gaming”