Persona 5 better than 3 & 4?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Persona 5 better than 3 & 4?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 12th, 2018, 12:29 pm

I have a weird relationship with the Persona games. I've only played 3, and it always goes the same way. I'll boot it up, be impressed by the main conflict (the hidden hour, tartarus, etc), wonder how such a lighthearted game ended up with an M-rating, and then slowly get bored because it feels like I'm just going through the motions. School, after school activity, run through tartarus, repeat. When the story comes along, it's pretty cool, but most of the game feels like you're just killing time until the game decides to give you something real to do again. I've never beaten the game because of this.

So, I've never played 4, but everyone says 5 is amazing. How would you say it compares to the previous two games? Is the story more interesting? Is there more to keep people engaged, or does it have dead periods like 3?

ptdebate

Re: Persona 5 better than 3 & 4?

Postby ptdebate » January 13th, 2018, 8:26 pm

4 and 5 are orders of magnitude more accessible than Persona 3. Persona 3 is great, but it's a slow burn, and spending a 100+ RPG with essentially just one long dungeon (albeit with lots of interluding content) turns plenty of people away from the game. Many hardcore fans of the series claim it as their favorite. Think of it as the Demon's Souls of this trio.

5 is super interesting right from the get go. Definitely, definitely give it a shot. It's a majorly fun time.
4 is fantastic in almost every way, but compared to 5 it does take a little bit longer for the plot to get going. I recommend the Vita version if you have the hardware to run it.

Return to “Modern Gaming”