Sega announces a new House of the Dead for the Arcades using Unreal Engine 4!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Sega announces a new House of the Dead for the Arcades using Unreal Engine 4!

Postby Sonicx9 » January 15th, 2018, 4:23 am

https://gematsu.com/2018/01/house-dead- ... ed-arcades

You know what that means a perfect game for a Nintendo Switch for the following factors.

1. The Nintendo Switch Joy-Con controls can be used to emulate the light gun controls from the Arcade version.

2. Sega has been very supportive to the Nintendo Switch thanks to Sonic games, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Valkyria Chronicles 4, and likely more games in the future.

3. The Nintendo Switch has native Unreal Engine 4 support = easy porting and to make porting more easy the Nvidia GPU architecture handles Unreal Engine 4 well and for those that know Unreal Engine has it best showing on Nvidia based consoles/PC such as original Xbox/PS3/PC.

4. The House of the Dead series has a good history with Nintendo hardware thanks to The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return on Wii, The House of the Dead: Overkill was first on Wii, exclusive spin-off games in the series such as The Pinball of the Dead for GBA and the Japan only English of the Dead for the Nintendo DS which are both ARM based consoles like the Nintendo Switch, it also is one of the few M rated franchises with a decent history on Nintendo hardware.

This is a game the critic would love to have on the Nintendo Switch, and I know others would love to have to.

Thoughts?

zetax

Re: Sega announces a new House of the Dead for the Arcades using Unreal Engine 4!

Postby zetax » January 15th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:1. The Nintendo Switch Joy-Con controls can be used to emulate the light gun controls from the Arcade version.

Not sure how that would work. Wii was able to do light gun games pretty well because of the sensor bar near the TV. Switch doesn't have a sensor bar, does it?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Sega announces a new House of the Dead for the Arcades using Unreal Engine 4!

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 15th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Oh wow I would be loving this, but as Zeta X mentioned, so sure if they could provide light-gun style controls.
At this point though I'd think I'd settle for moving a cursor around the screen!

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » January 16th, 2018, 6:01 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Oh wow I would be loving this, but as Zeta X mentioned, so sure if they could provide light-gun style controls.
At this point though I'd think I'd settle for moving a cursor around the screen!

I believe the more modern (i.e. Wii Motion Plus and later) gyro controls allow for lightgun type shooting by reading finer movements in the controller. I believe all of the "aiming" in Skyward Sword was done with the gyros, not the pointer. All the aiming in both Splatoon games is done with the gyros. You just let people "reset to centre" with a push of one of the buttons and then you should be good to go. I imagine some "aim assist" would need to be in there, but it would be possible I believe.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 16th, 2018, 10:16 am

Atarifever wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Oh wow I would be loving this, but as Zeta X mentioned, so sure if they could provide light-gun style controls.

I believe the more modern (i.e. Wii Motion Plus and later) gyro controls allow for lightgun type shooting by reading finer movements in the controller. I believe all of the "aiming" in Skyward Sword was done with the gyros, not the pointer. All the aiming in both Splatoon games is done with the gyros. You just let people "reset to centre" with a push of one of the buttons and then you should be good to go. I imagine some "aim assist" would need to be in there, but it would be possible I believe.

I was also thinking of how this could work. The game needs to know exactly how far you are from the screen, and at what angle, not just 'reset to center', and it would need that information recalculated constantly. All of that an emitter on the tv screen, and a sensor in the controller itself. That's doable, but I don't think the joycons have any sensors since there are no emitters for the Switch, right?

The old CRT light guns could avoid all that, but now it really is going to be a game of position and angles, and I don't think the joycons, as they are, are sufficient.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » January 16th, 2018, 3:14 pm

scotland wrote:
Atarifever wrote:

I was also thinking of how this could work. The game needs to know exactly how far you are from the screen, and at what angle, not just 'reset to center', and it would need that information recalculated constantly. All of that an emitter on the tv screen, and a sensor in the controller itself. That's doable, but I don't think the joycons have any sensors since there are no emitters for the Switch, right?

There's some kind of IR camera thing on the bottom of the right hand joycon. I have no idea what it does. Someone online said in 1,2 Switch it somehow knows the distance to an object or some such.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 16th, 2018, 3:35 pm

I do enjoy light gun games, so kudos to Nintendo if the Switch can make an accurate and fun game in that style. I am not a fan of moving a cursor - now you're talking a trackball or mouse setup.

Return to “Modern Gaming”