Nintendo Labo

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
SpaceGuitarist

Re: Nintendo Labo

Postby SpaceGuitarist » January 18th, 2018, 5:02 pm

I watched the video and the toy piano thing blew me out of the water. It's genuinely one of the nicest things to come out of the videogame world in recent years.

That said, for the pricetags of $60 - $80, I do agree they are ridiculous. Videogames do cost $60 - $80 but these are not videogames, therefore shouldn't be priced as such just because a videogame company makes them. It's an app and a few sheets of cardboard. They are basically toys, so I wouldn't judge them with the same concepts of depth and playtime that we apply to videogames. A pack of playing cards can last decades and offers an infinite amount of depth, yet it still costs $5.

I hope Nintendo hasn't just found a way to sell you a cardboard RC car for more than an actual RC car.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 18th, 2018, 7:15 pm

SpaceGuitarist wrote:
I hope Nintendo hasn't just found a way to sell you a cardboard RC car for more than an actual RC car.

They sure have! :D

Voor

Postby Voor » January 18th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Just wait for all the off brand plastic versions of these!!

Actually, it’s interesting that Nintendo went the cardboard route instead of the plastic accessory thing. I’m glad the did, but it’s just a surprising choice.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 19th, 2018, 3:58 am

I felt better about the $70 price tag when I was assuming Amazon would be offering the 20% Prime member discount on pre-ordering it. For some reason they aren’t so I’m feeling a bit differently about the price. Lol.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 19th, 2018, 4:22 am

And now I’ve just read that apparently Nintendo won’t be providing the design patterns for free after all. Which if true, is both baffling and ridiculous. These are made of cardboard. It makes so much sense to just let people make them out of their own materials and make the money on the software. My enthusiasm is dampened quite a bit by this news. Their’s little chance these would last too long in my house with a 9-month-old and two dogs. Sigh. Nintendo being Nintendo.

SpaceGuitarist

Postby SpaceGuitarist » January 19th, 2018, 5:54 am

Voor wrote:Actually, it’s interesting that Nintendo went the cardboard route instead of the plastic accessory thing. I’m glad the did, but it’s just a surprising choice.

I bet they had a warehouse full of cardboard boxes. Then some guy at Nintendo though it would have been cool to find a way to use them rather than throw them away. If that's the way it went, it is absolute genius. It's like the guy who invented Caesar Salad out of leftovers. This way Nintendo can produce both the toy AND the packaging of the toy at the same factory.

Probably it's way more convoluted than that but I like the idea of a multi-billion company such as Nintendo working like an italian-american restaurant from the 1920s.

By the way, I like that it is an eco-friendly solution and everything. I like a lot of things about the whole project, actually. The fact that you can build an origami toy piano out of cardboard and then play it and it'll produce sounds is absolutely magical. But I still think the price has to reflect what you're getting for it. As much as I'd like to live in a Miyazaki movie and play a toy piano that I made out of cardboard, the harsh reality is that for two thirds of its price, you could buy a 2-octave USB keyboard that you can connect to the PC, and with free softwares and synths do much more than you would with the origami toy piano.

SpaceGuitarist

Postby SpaceGuitarist » January 19th, 2018, 6:49 am

Also from the trailer, it's pretty clear they intend to use it to revive Wii Music. I saw the toy piano, a guitar pedal, a bass drum pedal and that contraption that looks like a bow/boomerang is clearly a trombone.

sorry for the double post!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 19th, 2018, 8:42 am

ESauce wrote:I felt better about the $70 price tag when I was assuming Amazon would be offering the 20% Prime member discount on pre-ordering it. For some reason they aren’t so I’m feeling a bit differently about the price. Lol.

Hmm, good point. I need to buy another Best Buy Gamer's Membership. It save you 20% off all games. So, would it be worth it at $56 vs $70? To me, probably not. But I can see how that might tip the scales. I love Legos so I can see the fun in it. Typically, my wife gets me a Lego set or two for Christmas and I enjoy putting it together over a few weeks. This stuff being cardboard though will last about about a day before being destroyed by my daughter and dog.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 19th, 2018, 10:01 am

ActRaiser wrote:
ESauce wrote:I felt better about the $70 price tag when I was assuming Amazon would be offering the 20% Prime member discount on pre-ordering it. For some reason they aren’t so I’m feeling a bit differently about the price. Lol.

Hmm, good point. I need to buy another Best Buy Gamer's Membership. It save you 20% off all games. So, would it be worth it at $56 vs $70? To me, probably not. But I can see how that might tip the scales. I love Legos so I can see the fun in it. Typically, my wife gets me a Lego set or two for Christmas and I enjoy putting it together over a few weeks. This stuff being cardboard though will last about about a day before being destroyed by my daughter and dog.

Yes interestingly I looked and it is discounted with Gamers Club Unlocked. But I’ll probably not buy it unless they do have a good option for replacing the cardboard because I have a similar situation where I don’t trust the accessories will last forever in my house. If they have a good option and I do decide to get it then I might get gamers club since it will pretty much pay for itself with this and another regularly priced game.

This article shows why Nintendo needs to offer easy cardboard replacements:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... trash.aspx

Lol.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 21st, 2018, 12:41 am

I think this looks cool. I like seeing unique concepts like this that use weird accessories to create new methods of gaming. And btw, before the announcement, Nintendo said it would be something for "children and people who are children at heart", so Nintendo fans should not be complaining about it being something geared toward kids... The price, though, sounds a bit steep to me, but I'll wait until we know more about the games.

Btw, keep your cardboard in nice shape! Cardboard damages easily, and parents love to throw away cardboard boxes. So 20 years from now, supply will be low and these bad boys could be selling for good prices on ebay if you kept them in nice playable condition.

ESauce wrote:And now I’ve just read that apparently Nintendo won’t be providing the design patterns for free after all. Which if true, is both baffling and ridiculous. These are made of cardboard. It makes so much sense to just let people make them out of their own materials and make the money on the software.

I wonder if there are concerns about people taking the designs and using them in ways that hurt Nintendo's bottom line... for example, people building the designs and selling them on ebay for a profit.

Return to “Modern Gaming”