Street Fighter V Arcade edition

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Street Fighter V Arcade edition

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 28th, 2018, 9:06 am

Somebody brought this to my attention, and I was thinking about getting it. After all, Street FIghter V was pretty good and with the extra characters and missing arcade mode it could be great.

Then I read this description on Amazon:
Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition will include all base content from the original Street Fighter V release, Arcade Mode and a code for Character Pass 1 and 2 content, which includes 12 playable characters and 12 premium costumes. An internet connection is required to redeem this Character Pass content and download additional modes.

What this tells me is you're just getting the original game on the disc with codes to download all of the extra stuff. That is completely bogus for a collector like me. Thoughts?

Atarifever

Re: Street Fighter V Arcade edition

Postby Atarifever » January 28th, 2018, 12:53 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
What this tells me is you're just getting the original game on the disc with codes to download all of the extra stuff. That is completely bogus for a collector like me. Thoughts?

Agreed. This is just a code and the original game, meaning when the store goes down in the future, it's just the original game with a different piece of paper on the front. Stuff like this is going to change my beliefs around emulation and piracy in the future.

A "pirated" version of many of these games will be a) the only way to play the full thing, b) a better representation of the bug-fixed versions that were played at the time, and c) a decent response to a company making your original game worth less, or actually worthless.

Sut

Postby Sut » January 28th, 2018, 2:51 pm

I save all my PS4 games onto an external HDD these days then you don’t have to worry about downloading them again they are on there forever including updates and patches.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 28th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Sut wrote:I save all my PS4 games onto an external HDD these days then you don’t have to worry about downloading them again they are on there forever including updates and patches.

Great idea. Going into the future, you may want to consider a redundant backup of those games just in case the external HDD dies.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » February 3rd, 2018, 2:35 pm

Update: Patches on the disc, but characters are DLC codes!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvO4CPryfRs

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 3rd, 2018, 6:40 pm

Thanks for the update and link Sonic. I think it's important we try to shed light on this stuff. The game industry really doesn't want you to be concerned with details like this, but it makes a difference.

The character codes are really a joke, considering (according to the video) the characters are ALREADY on the disc. You play against them! The codes just let you control them. That is some garbage.

I might still be interested in picking this up cheap however just for the arcade mode, which people were really clamoring for in the first place. Wow, Capcom really is out of touch with gamers this generation. Oh wait, they just care about making money.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » February 4th, 2018, 2:01 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks for the update and link Sonic. I think it's important we try to shed light on this stuff. The game industry really doesn't want you to be concerned with details like this, but it makes a difference.

The character codes are really a joke, considering (according to the video) the characters are ALREADY on the disc. You play against them! The codes just let you control them. That is some garbage.

I might still be interested in picking this up cheap however just for the arcade mode, which people were really clamoring for in the first place. Wow, Capcom really is out of touch with gamers this generation. Oh wait, they just care about making money.

Good point, but some of the GOTY versions/physicla version of games are hard to tell what you get on disc or not, because some like Fallout 4: Game of The Year is just the original game with a DLC code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DXyiXEirQ4. Because some games like Resident Evil 7: Gold Edition have important DLC and up to date patches on disc, but a free DLC and minor patch need internet so you don't get everything.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYX3kH4es2c

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 4th, 2018, 11:19 am

I find day-zero patches unacceptable. This is just a way for a company to ship a game before they can put on the finishing touches in order to maximize sales. Leaving it to the customer to patch their game is an insult and gamers really need to stop making excuses for stuff like this.

That said, day one patches for Game of the Year editions are beyond my comprehension.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » February 4th, 2018, 3:50 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I find day-zero patches unacceptable. This is just a way for a company to ship a game before they can put on the finishing touches in order to maximize sales. Leaving it to the customer to patch their game is an insult and gamers really need to stop making excuses for stuff like this.

That said, day one patches for Game of the Year editions are beyond my comprehension.

Related with what you said, some GOTY day 1 updates or over 3GB not too long after launch.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Dl5OiUFyU

And for day 0 updates. Call of Duty: WWII had two patches before the official November 3 launch!: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... -campaign/ and http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... only-70mb/ this is unexceptionable!

Return to “Modern Gaming”