Dead Game Servers

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Dead Game Servers

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 21st, 2018, 7:56 pm

This Ars Technica article doesn't apply to most of us, but it really illustrates just how ephemeral online gamers really are. Here today gone tomorrow.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/ ... e-servers/

pacman000

Re: Dead Game Servers

Postby pacman000 » February 22nd, 2018, 11:54 am

This caught my eye:

MADE argues that simply being able to view videos and read descriptions of "abandoned" online gameplay is not enough for researchers. Being able to actually play online games as they were originally designed can be useful for anthropological studies, psychological experiments, cultural appreciation, and even for design students looking to see how technical limitations were overcome, the museum argues.

The ESA, though, thinks this argument "should be viewed with considerable skepticism," pointing out that MADE "cites no specific example of serious scholarly work following from its preservation activities. To the contrary, it is clear from MADE’s website that at its museum, public recreational play predominates over serious scholarship."

Are museums only open to scholars? Is the public at large not allowed to enjoy art as a recreational activity? Then again, if a museum wanted to show a film, would they not need the distributor's permission? Interesting conundrum...

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 22nd, 2018, 9:52 pm

Really interesting article. Coming from the legal field, I find these copyright discussions interesting and wish I could lend my time to it. Sounds like good arguments on both sides, but, as a retro gamer, I'd definitely throw my support behind the researchers.

I just saw yesterday that the servers for Demon's Souls are shutting down next week. Not a game I care much about, but I'm sure that shutdown will be upsetting for a lot of people. But it gets me thinking... with all the online-only games around today, imagine how many will be completely unplayable in 20 years! Same thing with downloadable games- they can never be obtained again once the online store shuts down.. like the Wii store will do soon. As a preservationist, it really bothers me to see these things happen.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » February 23rd, 2018, 11:21 am

I don't usually play online games, however some games have achievements that require you to be online. That's a problem when you are going for a platinum trophy on an older ps3 game, and a trophy requires you to play an online match when that server is no longer online. This is true for NBA jam: on fire edition, but I'm sure there are many others that have online only trophies.

Also, I bought a squad-based shooter a few years ago for ps3 called Defiance (based on the Syfy network show.) Sounded like a fun game, but I quickly returned it due to it being online only. I do have Super Mario Maker in my Wii U collection though, so I wonder how playable that game will be 10 years from now. I know there is content you can play offline, but the main draw is going online.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » February 23rd, 2018, 11:54 am

CharlieR wrote:I don't usually play online games, however some games have achievements that require you to be online. That's a problem when you are going for a platinum trophy on an older ps3 game, and a trophy requires you to play an online match when that server is no longer online. This is true for NBA jam: on fire edition, but I'm sure there are many others that have online only trophies.

Also, I bought a squad-based shooter a few years ago for ps3 called Defiance (based on the Syfy network show.) Sounded like a fun game, but I quickly returned it due to it being online only. I do have Super Mario Maker in my Wii U collection though, so I wonder how playable that game will be 10 years from now. I know there is content you can play offline, but the main draw is going online.
I usually play Mario Maker offline. My main draw was the ability to make my own levels. like some shareware games in the mid-to-late 90's. Wasn't able to share anything I created with them, but it was still fun to create.

Return to “Modern Gaming”