PSA: Zen Studios Has Announced It Has Cancelled The Patch For Pinball FX3 On Nintendo Switch

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
GTS

Re: PSA: Zen Studios Has Announced It Has Cancelled The Patch For Pinball FX3 On Nintendo Switch

Postby GTS » March 6th, 2018, 6:04 pm

How are they not able to make a pinball game 60 FPS? I see in the article they tried to explain it, but to me it's just laziness.

Sonicx9

Re: PSA: Zen Studios Has Announced It Has Cancelled The Patch For Pinball FX3 On Nintendo Switch

Postby Sonicx9 » March 6th, 2018, 7:41 pm

GTS wrote:How are they not able to make a pinball game 60 FPS? I see in the article they tried to explain it, but to me it's just laziness.

Both laziness and shows they rushed out a half ass product just to fix it later and to not do it in the end joy! :(

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » March 6th, 2018, 8:12 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:
ActRaiser wrote:30 FPS is half-baked?

Kids these days, man are they ever spoiled. Back in my day if we got more than 10 FPS we were happy.

That's hilarious that 60 FPS is now required or it's a broken game.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... It sounds like this patch was a luxury, more so than a necessity. If that's the case, I have no issue with the company canceling it when the huge workload became apparent.

As for poor quality control, unfinished games, patches, etc., etc.... I know there are some people here that voice a lot of concerns about that stuff. I do too, but I don't agree that this is a new problem. The difference is, back in the day, you were just stuck with it. Imagine how many older games would be so much better if some of the minor issues could have been patched. Frankly, with how massive and complicated games are today, I'm surprised there aren't more mistakes in games when they ship.

But back in the old days games and systems had to be as polished and bug/glitch free as possible to make sure they where accessible, and not broken, and when issues happen they would recall the product. Now companies can pump out junk and get away with broken garbage and it is not a good practice. And related with this situation, back in 2012 when the infamous Silent Hill HD Collection on Xbox 360 had it big patch canceled, Konami was at least nice enough to give out free games which shows they did something right for angry customers. But this one case they canceled and do nothing to make up which is disgusting!

No wonder dave the video game critic speaks out because companies need to be held accountable!

As somebody why has “survived” every hardware generation since the 2600 days, I can assure you that companies barely ever released bug/glitch free games. Some companies (Nintendo, Capcom, Konami) were better than others (NES-era Activision, THQ, Acclaim, Wisdom Tree), but it still didn’t stop them from popping up in most games. Off the top of my head, you had:

1). Double Dragon (NES): glitches, bugs, slowdown.

2). Mega Man: glitches, bugs, slowdown.

3). Action 52: oh, boy.

4). Ghosts and Goblins: glitches, bugs, slowdown, translation issues.

5). Ninja Gaiden: glitches, bugs, slowdown.

6). Metal Gear: glitches, bugs, major translation issues.

Like others have said, there were no patches. There weren’t even very many gaming publications, or internet, so buyer beware. FPS drops are not a new thing. To me, it’s 3D’s answer to the slowdown of the old days.

There are issues with modern gaming (loot boxes, DRM, servers shutting down), but there are countless blessings (the retro revival, patches that can improve games based on consumer feedback, an uptick in gaming variety that seemed to be lost over the past two generations).

As somebody who owns it, I can assure you that FX3 is still a very fun, very playable game. If it was broken, ala WWE 2K18, then I would be annoyed by the lack of a patch. This is different. Would it have been nice? Absolutely, but it really isn’t worth getting that upset about.

Just my two cents.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 6th, 2018, 11:49 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... It sounds like this patch was a luxury, more so than a necessity. If that's the case, I have no issue with the company canceling it when the huge workload became apparent.

As for poor quality control, unfinished games, patches, etc., etc.... I know there are some people here that voice a lot of concerns about that stuff. I do too, but I don't agree that this is a new problem. The difference is, back in the day, you were just stuck with it. Imagine how many older games would be so much better if some of the minor issues could have been patched. Frankly, with how massive and complicated games are today, I'm surprised there aren't more mistakes in games when they ship.

But back in the old days games and systems had to be as polished and bug/glitch free as possible to make sure they where accessible, and not broken, and when issues happen they would recall the product. Now companies can pump out junk and get away with broken garbage and it is not a good practice. And related with this situation, back in 2012 when the infamous Silent Hill HD Collection on Xbox 360 had it big patch canceled, Konami was at least nice enough to give out free games which shows they did something right for angry customers. But this one case they canceled and do nothing to make up which is disgusting!

No wonder dave the video game critic speaks out because companies need to be held accountable!

As somebody why has “survived” every hardware generation since the 2600 days, I can assure you that companies barely ever released bug/glitch free games. Some companies (Nintendo, Capcom, Konami) were better than others (NES-era Activision, THQ, Acclaim, Wisdom Tree), but it still didn’t stop them from popping up in most games. Off the top of my head, you had:

1). Double Dragon (NES): glitches, bugs, slowdown.

Like others have said, there were no patches. There weren’t even very many gaming publications, or internet, so buyer beware. FPS drops are not a new thing. To me, it’s 3D’s answer to the slowdown of the old days.

There are issues with modern gaming (loot boxes, DRM, servers shutting down), but there are countless blessings (the retro revival, patches that can improve games based on consumer feedback, an uptick in gaming variety that seemed to be lost over the past two generations).

As somebody who owns it, I can assure you that FX3 is still a very fun, very playable game. If it was broken, ala WWE 2K18, then I would be annoyed by the lack of a patch. This is different. Would it have been nice? Absolutely, but it really isn’t worth getting that upset about.

Just my two cents.

You have good points BanjoPickles, a game does not need to be 100% bug/glitch free, it just needs to be accessible without obvious problems that should not be in the game from day 1 big or small. And not to complain about framerate, but why is a way more demanding game like Super Mario Odyssey
run at 900P/60FPS with way more going on (big levels, high quality graphics, physics, etc.) Yet a simpler game like pinball is struggling resolution and framerate issues which is absurd! If the developer knew about these issues, why not delay it for a few months and then release the product, that is what I would do as a game developer, and then do patches for small things, not things that should have been their from day 1! If critic is reading this thread he would role in his grave because he hates patches with a passion!

Sut

Postby Sut » March 7th, 2018, 6:28 am

BanjoPickles wrote:FPS drops are not a new thing. To me, it’s 3D’s answer to the slowdown of the old days.

Never thought of it that way, but you're right.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 7th, 2018, 9:13 am

BanjoPickles wrote:1). Double Dragon (NES): glitches, bugs, slowdown.

Action 52 is hardly representative of the industry at the time and certainly doesn't belong on a list with those classics. You can knock it off and replace it with the comically ramshackle Sonic 2. (Still my favorite in the series, despite - and, in some cases, because of - its bugs.)

Edit: Never mind, I'm dumb; Sonic 2 isn't an NES game.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 7th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Those who think the industry used to patch broken games should check out Final Fantasy on the NES. No elemental damage from your elemental weapons. Status spells that do nothing or the exact opposite of what they claim to do. And best of all, the INT stat is meaningless.

Many players dealing with very low INT stats never even noticed.

And yet, that was thought more than just a good game. It was once considered a groundbreaking classic of the genre.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 15th, 2018, 3:34 am

Update: The fans/community spoke out and got their wish: https://nintendoeverything.com/zen-stud ... after-all/

And because of this we are getting it in the end.

This does show that people do not like broken products.

Return to “Modern Gaming”