switch version of Roller-coaster tycoon

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
GameOfThrones

switch version of Roller-coaster tycoon

Postby GameOfThrones » April 5th, 2018, 11:24 am

Just now the company that brought you such notable titles as Asteroids outpost online and Haunted house Cryptic graves are now giving you a chance to participate in their latest shovelware launch. Well they would be if they could get anyone interested in it. They have amassed 60K of the 1000 000 they need. In the last 3 days no further investors have been found. So they are still on 60K 940 K less that they wanted.
If you invest 750 dollars you will get 25 percent of one of the games. I mean you do not even get one for free.

Check out the link for more. Anyone thinking about getting an Atari VCS box should seriously consider waiting 5 years to see if it gets made.

https://www.startengine.com/atari-game-partners

ActRaiser

Re: switch version of Roller-coaster tycoon

Postby ActRaiser » April 5th, 2018, 3:28 pm

It's weird. It looks like an Atari subsidary is trying to figure out how to lease out rights using a novel approach to fund development.

If this was something I'd be interested in buying it might be a fun adventure to try. Maybe, if they picked a remake of Outlaw instead?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 5th, 2018, 4:10 pm

They don't need a million dollars. For one, the listed goal is actually "$10K - $1.07M" (I'm not sure that this really counts as a "goal"), and for another, the FAQ says, "The game will be developed regardless of the success of the StartEngine campaign." What they've actually done is specify what would be stretch goals on any normal crowdfunding campaign, only the page never actually mentions what sort of benefits those stretch goals would have. The only real incentive is return on the investment put into it. Very strange way to go about crowdfunding; the average contribution is around $500, but there are only 112 of them - surely Kickstarter would get a much larger pool of pledges, and "Atari" ( :roll: ) wouldn't even have to pay them back. Maybe it's a pretense of being too proud to beg, but come on, this is still pretty much begging.

GameOfThrones wrote:If you invest 750 dollars you will get 25 percent of one of the games. I mean you do not even get one for free.

Let's be fair. You get a 25% discount for a $750 investment, but if you invest $1,500, you get... a 25% discount, plus The Art of Atari. At least it's an entire copy?

You'd think that with the ballyhoo about "investing" in this enterprise and the steep minimum amount ($250), they'd court the high rollers with some serious, multi-thousand-dollar tiers, but nope, $1,500 is the highest.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 5th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Investment and participation is straightforward!

Invest any amount into the campaign (with $250 as a minimum), and earn your pro rata share of 50% of profits until you made 120% of your original investment; after which you’ll earn your pro rata share of 25% of profits until 18 months after the worldwide launch of the game, or the earlier termination of our license to market and sell the game! The percentages are subject to pro rata decreases in the event we raise less than the $2,000,000 we are seeking to raise in aggregate in this Title III - Regulation Crowdfunding Offering and in the offering under Regulation D 506(c) in which we anticipate engaging. See the Offering Details in the document below for a complete set of terms.

I'm no Thurston Howell III, but this sounds like a bad investment.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 5th, 2018, 5:04 pm

20% of $250 is $50. The real money comes from the share or split prorated of 25% of the profit.

Does anyone actually buy roller coaster tycoon games? It doesn't seem like all that interesting of a premise to me personally.

I'd rather sock my money in index funds unless it's an actual game I'd buy.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » April 5th, 2018, 8:01 pm

I love Roller Coaster Tycoon; there's a reason it was a game of the year in 1999'. It's kinda like Sim City, but you have more direct control of your environment, so you can be more creative. And it's about theme parks, not urban development. Hey, what kid wouldn't want to make their own Disneyland or Six Flags?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 5th, 2018, 9:00 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Does anyone actually buy roller coaster tycoon games? It doesn't seem like all that interesting of a premise to me personally.

The original series was a huge hit, and Planet Coaster - made by the same developers as Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 - has been a strong seller. The latest official Roller Coaster Tycoon game, Roller Coaster Tycoon World, was released last year and is apparently pretty bad.

I played the original game a lot when I was a kid, and it was always fun trying to build the biggest, meanest roller coaster possible. I would gauge my success by the amount of barf on the paths. :P

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 5th, 2018, 10:10 pm

Stalvern wrote:I played the original game a lot when I was a kid, and it was always fun trying to build the biggest, meanest roller coaster possible. I would gauge my success by the amount of barf on the paths. :P

Haha That's awesome!

For me whenever we'd go to the amusement parks as a kid I'd always have to stop and take Dramamine before going on the rides to avoid puking everywhere. On the plus side the amusement parks always had the best arcades.

I can see the appeal. Good point. Hmm, it might be something fun to invest in. It would be more like gambling with no real intention of getting ones money back. If you did, great, if not you tried a fun new experiment on game funding. If someone did that for a new Crimson Skies or frankly any series that I'd play I'd definitely be down for trying it.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 5th, 2018, 10:12 pm

pacman000 wrote: Hey, what kid wouldn't want to make their own Disneyland or Six Flags?

Sounds like you're the perfect type to invest! Go for it! I'd love to know if it works out. :D

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 5th, 2018, 11:34 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Sounds like you're the perfect type to invest! Go for it! I'd love to know if it works out. :D

Probably not too well, if Roller Coaster Tycoon World is any indication. It's just a brand; the actual people that made the games good are working on their own now, and good for them.

Return to “Modern Gaming”