I really dig the Switch with its portability

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Herschie

I really dig the Switch with its portability

Postby Herschie » May 6th, 2018, 8:42 pm

Seriously, this ought to be the future of gaming! It was so nice out in Chicago this afternoon, and who wants to be cooped up inside? But really, I love video games, so I figured I'd grab my Switch, and go on out to the porch with the dog. Holy cow, I can't tell you how how awesome it was to set up the screen like a mini TV and play Zelda, FIFA, and MarioKart out there while having a Jameson on the rocks! Since Comcast is awesome in my area, the Wifi was more than capable of handing online play, even outside.

Now I know which system I'll get my EA and NBA titles on. It's worth the slight downgrade in graphics to be able to enjoy the day outside. Even when it gets cold out, I like to sit there and enjoy the season. Maybe not in the dead of winter, but it's nice hanging out in November or something when it gets into the 40s. And of course, if I feel like playing on my Samsung, that's also entirely possible.

But this is something that Sony should keep in mind for ideas with the Playstation 5, because in a few years, I don't see why they can't make something with better graphics than the PS4, only with the portability of the Switch. I never realized until today how much I love how Nintendo did that. Sort of like with the Wii U, I realized after awhile how much I loved the game pad.

scotland

Re: I really dig the Switch with its portability

Postby scotland » May 6th, 2018, 8:46 pm

I read recently that the future of the 3DS is tied to how well the Switch replaces it, which seems to be tethered to its portability. If families still see this as a console - one per household, then Nintendo may keep the 3DS around, ( or maybe develop a dedicated replacement?) The 3DS is a one per person kind of system, and is priced less to fill that niche.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 6th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Great pic! Video games, booze, and a loyal dog - you are living the good life!
I personally haven't use my Switch out of its stand, but I'm really surprised how handy it's coming for people.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » May 6th, 2018, 11:24 pm

Just chiming in to say that I REALLY dig your pug!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 7th, 2018, 9:43 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Great pic! Video games, booze, and a loyal dog - you are living the good life!
ptdebate wrote:Just chiming in to say that I REALLY dig your pug!

You really haven't lived until you've played Mario Kart on your patio with a drink and a dog!

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » May 7th, 2018, 2:08 pm

I HIGHLY recommend NBA 2k18 for the switch it plays tremendous on the Switch I have both the switch and Xbox one version and honestly 95 percent of the time when I play I play my switch version.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » May 8th, 2018, 7:08 am

Herschie wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Great pic! Video games, booze, and a loyal dog - you are living the good life!
ptdebate wrote:Just chiming in to say that I REALLY dig your pug!

You really haven't lived until you've played Mario Kart on your patio with a drink and a dog!

That is a fab picture and I am completely jealous. Dog, great game system and a cold one. Now that is what I call living the high life.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 8th, 2018, 7:08 am

I don’t have a Switch, but I still agree with your point. I purchased my first portable console last year—a 2DS—and I LOVED being able to play games not attached to the TV. Especially with a family, I could play discreetly without drawing everyone’s attention. It ended up being too hard on my hands, but if I decided to get a modern console, it would be a Switch without question.

I also brought it with me on a business trip, since Hotels are boring, and I really don’t like television all that much.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » May 10th, 2018, 4:35 pm

I have never actually played with a switch in person. The demo units out just have the controller and joycons.

I did play my PSP out on the porch the other night. For those that have both, What is it like playing on a switch compared to a PSP?

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 11th, 2018, 1:39 pm

CharlieR wrote:I have never actually played with a switch in person. The demo units out just have the controller and joycons.

I did play my PSP out on the porch the other night. For those that have both, What is it like playing on a switch compared to a PSP?

Pretty cool. Obviously a system that came out in 2017 is going to have much better graphics than one that came out in 2004. Although I think we can all agree that the PSP was more advanced than the game boy moreso than the Switch is to compared to the PSP.

What I love about the Switch is that I can stand it up on a table, slide out the Joy-Cons, and play it as if it were a PS4. Doesn't feel like such a portable that way, and the games are easier to control. Plus, multiplayer is much better for this reason.

I'm going to start buying more and more games for the Switch instead of the PS4. Bought FIFA the other day, and I went to Gamestop on my lunch break to grab NBA 2K18 for the Switch. And when Madden comes out, I'm getting it for the Switch, since I imagine they'll make it for that system.

Return to “Modern Gaming”