Best games of this generation

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

Best games of this generation

Postby BanjoPickles » May 8th, 2018, 10:19 pm

I think that we’re far enough into this generation where we can start assessing its value. The past few years have reinvigorated my interest in gaming, due to the variety of experiences that seemed to be on the wane, some ten years ago (thank you, indie gaming!).

So, what have been the best games that you have played, during this generation? Mine are:

-Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (so good that I plowed through it twice!)
-Super Mario Odyssey (my favorite Mario since Sunshine, which was my personal favorite Mario game).
-Bloodborne (this game was an EXPERIENCE!)
-GTA V (I played it on PS4, so I’m counting is as part of the current gen. The scope of this game is crazy!)
-Dark Souls III
-Shovel Knight
-Golf Story
-Splatoon 2

ptdebate

Re: Best games of this generation

Postby ptdebate » May 9th, 2018, 4:50 am

My pick for the best game of this generation so far, and perhaps the best game to come out within the past 10 years, is Persona 5.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 10th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Persona 5 was a very good game, agreed, definitely one of my favorite games of all time. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey right up there with the best titles this Generation.

I like these lists since it gives me titles to put on my bucket list. Shovel Knight and Golf Story added, intend to play them soon.

Adding to list given by the OP:
------------------------------
Inside [A love it or hate it title, for me one of the greatest Sidescrollers in history]
Horizon Zero Dawn [One of the best open world action RPG's this generation]
Nier Automata [One of those games that grow on you, definitely an all time classic for me]
Fallout 4 [Not my fave Fallout game by a long shot, but spent > 200 hours on this one]
God of War 2018 [Best game of the series, recently completed it]
Uncharted 4 [My least favorite Uncharted game but the bar was set high so this is still good]
Rise of the Tomb Raider [Just played through it, excellent game]
Nioh [This game was brutal and kept my interest. Better than Dark Souls]
Witcher 3 [Up there with the best open world action RPG's of all time]
Divinity: Original Sin 2 [Best RPG of it's type since good old days of Baldur's Gate 2]
Hellblade [Atmospheric and stands out of the crowd in the horror genre, an acquired taste]
The Witness [Outstanding, phenomenal, an all time classic]
Tales of Bersia [Always been a fan of the Tales series, this might be my favorite one]
Torment Tides of Numeria [You either love it or hate it....]
Transistor [One of the better action RPG's this gen, borderline last gen game though]
Grim Dawn [Think Diablo III, enough said...]
Darkwood [One of the more unique Indy titles this one is excellent]
Axiom Verge [Arguably a better Metroidvania than 2017's Samus Return's on 3DS]
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 [Voice acting awful but one of the better JRPG's I have played this generation]
Metro 2033 Redux [I am not really a huge FPS fan but I really dig this one]
Far Cry 5 [Could be the best game of Far Cry series IMO, way better than Primal]
Assassin's Creed Origins [Never was a big fan of AC with exception of Brotherhood and Origin's]
Pillars of Eternity [One of those love it or hate it RPG's, I really liked it]
Shadow of War / Shadow of Mordor [Both games are well worth playing if you have not]

JWK

Postby JWK » May 11th, 2018, 1:36 am

My top 5 (so far) would be:

1. NieR Automata
2. Persona 5
3. Doom 2016
4. God of War
5. Bloodborne

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » May 14th, 2018, 8:19 pm

JWK wrote:My top 5 (so far) would be:

1. NieR Automata
2. Persona 5
3. Doom 2016
4. God of War
5. Bloodborne

I really need to get around to playing NieR Automata. I own it on PC but these days I haven't been much inclined to actually sit and play games at my computer desk - I've been in much more of a Vita mood.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » May 15th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Zelda the breath of the wild was an A+ game until...it wasn't! The ending was terrible (way to easy) and did not justify the hours I spent going through the empty countryside (and villages), clearing temples (loved that part of the game) and completing meaningless and dull side missions. Not to mention the combat...very one dimensional. But I digress!!!

My favorite games of this generation:

Mario Odyssey
The Last of US
Steamworld 1 & 2
Horizon Zero Dawn (Best Game Ever!)
South Park (The Fractured Butt Whole)

I am really not into games like I used to be, I just don't have the time and I try to only play games that grab me which brings me to God of War for the PS4...that game just doesn't do it for me! Kind of boring compared to GOW 1 & 2.....they should have stuck with the old combat system.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 15th, 2018, 11:06 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:Zelda the breath of the wild was an A+ game until...it wasn't! The ending was terrible (way to easy) and did not justify the hours I spent going through the empty countryside (and villages), clearing temples (loved that part of the game) and completing meaningless and dull side missions. Not to mention the combat...very one dimensional. But I digress!!!

That said, I have yet to play a Zelda game that had anything resembling a genuine challenge. Still though, Breath of the Wild was a very addicting game just to waste several hours playing. Breath of the Wild in Master Mode with Trial of the Sword DLC should have been what Nintendo released as the base game.

newmodelarmy wrote:Horizon Zero Dawn (Best Game Ever!)
I am really not into games like I used to be, I just don't have the time and I try to only play games that grab me which brings me to God of War for the PS4...that game just doesn't do it for me! Kind of boring compared to GOW 1 & 2.....they should have stuck with the old combat system.

Horizon Zero Dawn is easily the best new IP from Sony in goodness knows how long. A masterpiece. My only gripe is the game could be beaten in around 25hours if you did not care about doing everything. If you are a completionist and bulk out the game, your character gets leveled up quite quickly and the any challenge vaporizes with it. The only slightly challenging parts of the game were the cauldron's where you had to fight in a confined space. In Frozen Wild's DLC, Aloy was was already too leveled up and the challenge was moot because of it. Still though, a masterpiece for me, I would buy a PS5 just to play the sequel. Sony are lucky to have this team on board.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » May 15th, 2018, 11:40 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:Zelda the breath of the wild was an A+ game until...it wasn't! The ending was terrible (way to easy) and did not justify the hours I spent going through the empty countryside (and villages), clearing temples (loved that part of the game) and completing meaningless and dull side missions. Not to mention the combat...very one dimensional. But I digress!!!

My favorite games of this generation:

Mario Odyssey
The Last of US
Steamworld 1 & 2
Horizon Zero Dawn (Best Game Ever!)
South Park (The Fractured Butt Whole)

I’m currently playing Fractured But Whole on Switch, and I have to agree with you! This game is sooo fun, and entertaining! It’s just a shame that Stick of Truth isn’t available on Switch!

Breath of the Wild is a strange game in that everything you said is absolutely true, but it still feels a stellar achievement, on Nintendo’s behalf. The combat actually does feel somewhat dumbed down from other Zelda’s (Wind Waker!), but there’s something so satisfying about breaking a sword on enemy and sending them reeling down a cliff. Also, it’s really neat being able to use the environment to your advantage (tossing a sword at an enemy during a lightning storm). The world is barren, but there’s something about it that kept me from being bored——oh, I know what it is! Hunting for that next shrine! I would have preferred the addition of more traditional dungeons, but there was something I loved about the puzzles inside both the shrines and the guardians. The ending did feel rather anti-climactic, though.

Mario Odyssey, on the other hand, did everything so well! For the first 600 moons, or so, I was never bored! I sincerely hope that Switch receives another 3D Mario game!

JWK

Postby JWK » May 28th, 2018, 12:28 pm

ptdebate wrote:I really need to get around to playing NieR Automata. I own it on PC but these days I haven't been much inclined to actually sit and play games at my computer desk - I've been in much more of a Vita mood.

If you end up playing NieR Automata and finish ending A, you’ll have a great experience. If you decide to go further down the rabbit hole and get endings A - E (it’s less daunting than it sounds and all endings are cannon), get ready to have your mind blown. And you get all the feels. Seriously, this is almost my favorite game ever.

Return to “Modern Gaming”