is it worth it to buy the nintendo switch now ?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
LoganRuckman

Re: is it worth it to buy the nintendo switch now ?

Postby LoganRuckman » May 18th, 2018, 2:21 pm

It's worth it for the indies alone. I've gone so long without getting into the indie scene, but now I'm in love. I actually have the 3DS and Shovel Knight to thank for that. Indie gaming is a risky proposition due to high amounts of shovelware, but the good stuff hits hard. I actually prefer indies to most AAA games nowadays. My Switch collection as of now:

Super Mario Odyssey
The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild
Kirby Star Allies
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Rayman Legends
Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Blaster Master Zero
Xeodrifter
Mecho Tales
Pulstar (Neo Geo port)

jon

Postby jon » May 20th, 2018, 11:43 pm

I'll be getting a Switch in the coming weeks. It will be my first "new" purchase since the Nintendo 64. Of course I'm leaving out the Wii and PS2, both of which I got (the Wii was a present) years after they came out. Whether it counts or not, I'm treating it as my first new system since the N64. I remember the day I got my N64. It was the last time I felt that classic feeling you get when you're buying a new console. With that in mind, I'm looking forward to the in store experience, whatever that means. I'm getting the Switch for the Neo Geo games. However, I like to think it's also because Nintendo has ditched their kiddie image rut they've been feeding us for decades. For the first time in forever, mature games don't seem out of place on a Nintendo console.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 21st, 2018, 11:38 am

A few posters have mentioned indie games here. While Nintendo does a better job promoting them, most of the good indie games are already on PS4. The Switch has a few good indie exclusives (Golf Story comes to mind), but the PS4 has way more at the moment.

I think most serious gamers would benefit from owning a PS4 first--it's been around longer, so it has better options right now--unless you strongly prefer Nintendo consoles. Since you already own a PS4, the next question is: how badly do you want to play the new Mario and Zelda games? That's what sets the Switch apart right now. If those games don't strongly appeal to you, then you're better off waiting in my opinion.

Return to “Modern Gaming”